Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Can't recall the guy's name, but he was a rather cantankerous fellow, and a close subordinate to Louis Farrakhan. Made all sorts of angry statements, and was once actually barred from entering Canada for a speaking engagement, because of his 'hateful' rhetoric.

According to THIS guy, THE POPE was "a cracker"..(!). (Pope John Paul II, at the time). Now I've heard The Pope called a LOT of things....and I've heard a LOT of definitions of who is, and who is not, a "cracker"....but I don't ever recall a case, other than this, in which The Pope was termed a "cracker".

At LEAST, I guess it's a relief that The Pope wasn't called a "Pol@ck". That would have REALLY been a 'slur'.
I believe that was Khallid Abdul Muhammad........Anyway, I understand that Poles find that word to be a slur.....but in the Polish language, the word is simply a self-descriptive one. So how did it acquire that negative connotation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Using the word cracker during an argument or altercation is a very obvious way of calling attention to the fact that I am white and that my being white is the cause of the initial problem (or many problems in their lives)
I know how to read. Been doing it since like 2nd grade. You are the one that typed that sentence, not me.

No one said using racial slurs is justified, and actually if you had good reading comprehension skills, you would have understood that I specifically said it was not ok to use racial slurs. You are obviously the one who needs to improve on your reading comprehension skills. And for the second time, I said it doesn't require you to do something on purpose to make them mad. Anything you do can be taken the wrong way and make someone mad. But you would have needed to read and understand my entire post to know I said that.

I'll even quote it so you don't have to go back and find what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I knew you would give the answer sooner or later. By your own admission, you were having arguments/altercations with these people. So, you did something that caused their reaction, which was to call you a cracker. And they used the word cracker to explain your behavior that they didn't like.

Whether or not you agree that you were doing something to ellicit such a remark is irrelavent, because the perpetrators do think you said or acted in such a way . (This of course doesn't make racial slurs right), it's just an explanation. People get rubbed the wrong way all the time by someone elses actions. You can't possibly predict 100% of the time if what you say or do will rub someone the wrong way.

For example I said;

and you immediatly thought I was saying you must have purposely done something. And because you assumed I was saying something, it rubbed you the wrong way.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I believe that was Khallid Abdul Muhammad........Anyway, I understand that Poles find that word to be a slur.....but in the Polish language, the word is simply a self-descriptive one. So how did it acquire that negative connotation?
Possibly, because once the (Polish) term arrived in America, it was 'hijacked' by non-Polish speakers and used as the 'code word' for the latest in a long line of 'dumb foreigner' jokes...MOST of these, as you know, were recycled from group to group, until modern decorum made the old-time "ethnic joke" more-or-less 'not acceptable'. Just a guess, on my part.

As for your supposition that it's a respectable self-description among Poles, I believe you're right. It also seems I heard the term "G00K" was similar....among Koreans, if I remember correctly..a 'respectable' term that became a 'slur' in the hands of outsiders who heard it and 'hijacked' it.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
the white version of the n-word

Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
So when that truck driver (who was black) called me a cracker he was actually just referring his take on my heritage.
IMO its low-class white,white trash,but I am not from the south,(just happen to be stuck here for the moment,lol)...where I currently reside they call me a Yankee, and I'm dam_ proud of it,lol

Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 PM

30 posts, read 58,224 times
Why would cracker be an insult or a 'form of the n word'?

There is no power behind it.

Moderator cut: racist

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-19-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM

16 posts, read 20,919 times
Quote:
I was called a "cracker" today for about the fiftieth time since I moved to South Florida 20 years ago.

Is that just another word for "honky"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me.

I guess I'm just not up on the whole street slang thing.
It's the little round thing that Catholics eat. They think it's Jesus.

Whatever you do, don't desecrate the holy cracker, or it will unleash the Godly Wrath of Pope Nazinger and his dress-wearing cohorts!!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTR View Post
Why would cracker be an insult or a 'form of the n word'?

There is no power behind it.

Moderator cut: racist
Oh, I get it. A white supremacist. Please educate me........

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-19-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 PM

66 posts, read 136,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Rise above stupidity! Stay out of jail.
Lol I ran track

Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
IMO its low-class white,white trash,but I am not from the south,(just happen to be stuck here for the moment,lol)...where I currently reside they call me a Yankee, and I'm dam_ proud of it,lol
Funny you should mention 'white trash'. I've always found this to be an extremely pejorative term, and am surprised it doesn't seem to cause more offense than it (apparently) does.

"White trash" presupposes that whites are not EXPECTED to be found among the ranks of the 'trashy'. 'Trash', by this definition, must mean non-whites....and presumably, non-whites would fit the stereotypical picture of 'trash', in the minds of the public. If the 'trashy person' was white, that would be seen as an aberration....and thus it would be pointed out that THIS particular person wasn't 'typical' trash, but WHITE trash...VERY unusual.

Perhaps I'm making something out of nothing here..but to ME, "White trash" sounds every bit as pejorative as...for example, a "sober Indian"....or a "law-abiding Italian"...or an "educated black"...or a "tolerant Southern white"....or an "intelligent Texan"...or a "legal Hispanic". These terms are prejudicial, because they PRESUME the person being described doesn't fit the 'stereotype' of his group, and that this is worth pointing out.

I've never cared for the term 'White trash'....in my opinion, trash is trash.

Thanks for listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies