Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times

Advertisements

WSJ.com Economic Forecasting Survey Shows Recession Over - WSJ.com

I wonder. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, the majority of the economists The Wall Street Journal surveyed during the past few days said the recession that began in December 2007 is now over.

"He deserves a lot of credit for stabilizing the financial markets," said Joseph Carson of AllianceBernstein. "Confidence in recovery would be damaged if he was not reappointed."
That would be good news.
Which means this thread will soon be barraged by right wingers with scary economic predictions.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
That would be good news.
Which means this thread will soon be barraged by right wingers with scary economic predictions.
Maybe. The source is the WSJ. Kind of difficult for the right-wing to argue against the same source they themselves constantly reference.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Maybe. The source is the WSJ. Kind of difficult for the right-wing to argue against the same source they themselves constantly reference.
True.
Then it'll be the avoidance strat.

Which means a pleasant, thoughtful thread lol.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The recession will be over the end of this quarter.

That means GDP will return to slightly positive numbers.

Problem is this will not help foreclosures and bankruptcies.

And this time around it will not help create jobs because firms have realized they can produce with alot less overhead.

It is not bad news but it is not as good as you would like in a recovery.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
What is the implication of the end of the recession? Does it mean there will be more jobs? Does it mean the fed will raise interest rates? I hope it's good news but is it a technical thing? Don't forget the recession started far before anyone really noticed the effects i.e. massive layoffs. So how far after the end of a recession will jobs follow? The last few recessions have seen jobless recoveries so I am not sure what this means.

By the way we borrowed $75 billion this week, we have a deficit of about $2 trillion will we see a double dip?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
What is the implication of the end of the recession? Does it mean there will be more jobs? Does it mean the fed will raise interest rates? I hope it's good news but is it a technical thing? Don't forget the recession started far before anyone really noticed the effects i.e. massive layoffs. So how far after the end of a recession will jobs follow? The last few recessions have seen jobless recoveries so I am not sure what this means.

By the way we borrowed $75 billion this week, we have a deficit of about $2 trillion will we see a double dip?
Since the stimulus was $787 billion, and government only spent some $70+ billion, does that mean we get the unspent $700B back? That would be a nice deficit reduction that makes a lot of sense.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:41 AM

It would be a mistake for the administration or the fed to stand up and say "recession over!" While by definitiion it is over we are still going to be hurting for a while.

This is an interesting article on MSNBC about the unemployed. We are not just talking about Auto workers on an assembly line. We are talking about a highly educated population that does not have any income right now.

Many laid-off workers try to lie low - Washington Post- msnbc.com

Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Since the stimulus was $787 billion, and government only spent some $70+ billion, does that mean we get the unspent $700B back? That would be a nice deficit reduction that makes a lot of sense.
therefore it is impossible to even think about.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

More jobs?
Not immediately no.
It should mean however that the layoffs dwindle away over the next 6 months or so - and in the spring there should be a net gain of jobs - the big question is "How much of a net gain?"

This is the reason I've been in favor of the stimulus (even with it's faults). The past couple of recessions have been VERY SLOW to bring back jobs. With the job cuts having so severe this time around, we NEED to spur that along. The stimulus should do that.

Regarding a double dip - it's always possible for that happen, but I don't think it will - in part (again) because next year the stimulus money will be flowing more readily and that should provide a cushion. It seems the majority of economists also think a double dip recession is unlikely.

Make no mistake about any of this though, the situation IS tricky and it will be a fine between avoiding a double dip and unleashing too much inflationary pressure - not the silly "Zimbabwe level" scenario, but plain old inflation ala the 1970's (which would still make the recovery harder).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies