Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,760,632 times

Advertisements

The working assumption of conservative economists is that people are ONLY motivated by money - hence why CEO and upper officers of the corporation have to be paid large amounts to motivate them to do the best job possible for the corporation (although why that doesn't apply to lower-ranked employees, I have no idea).

But if you actually ask a doctor - particularly a GP or family practice doctor, two of the lowest-paid categories of doctors - why they went into medicine, and why they chose their specialties, money was not the big thing. There is concern over money, of course - the average doctor now graduates over $100,000 in debt, which is likely one of the pushes to go into a higher-paying specialty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 PM

23,155 posts, read 26,088,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i work for a company that provides a medical service, and what medicare pays us for that service is significantly more than what we, or any other local provider of that service charges private people in order to make a profit.
Are you saying that for physicians ( which is the topic) that also holds true?
That Medicare pays better than private ?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,637,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Are you saying that for physicians ( which is the topic) that also holds true?
That Medicare pays better than private ?
i don't know, it probably varies from procedure to procedure. for the procedure we do, yes. medicare fee schedules don't vary based on provider type. but i do know that what medicare pays for any service is utterly unrelated to what insurance companies charge customers for insurance.

this sentence:

"Then private insurance companies must react to the extremely low pay set up by medicare and must raise prices on private individuals to make up for the loss that the government causes."

makes absolutely no sense. it's saying doctors get paid less by medicare therefore insurance companies (who also pay the doctors) must charge more. i wouldn't trust the person who wrote that's analysis of pretty much anything, since they don't seem to understand the subject or even basic logic or economics.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM

88,676 posts, read 44,430,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
But...but...but...I thought the "talking points" of the Right stated that "only a small percentage of people really don't have permanent health insurance, the rest have only 'temporary' lost it."

Are you admitting NOW that there are lots and lots of people without health insurance?

Ken
Yes - there are people who voluntarily don't want it. Of those, some are self-insured.

By the way, emotional histrionics indicate irrationality.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,251,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
By the way, emotional histrionics indicate irrationality.
Nope.
Sarcasm.

Ken

Old 08-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
i don't know, it probably varies from procedure to procedure. for the procedure we do, yes. medicare fee schedules don't vary based on provider type. but i do know that what medicare pays for any service is utterly unrelated to what insurance companies charge customers for insurance.

this sentence:

"Then private insurance companies must react to the extremely low pay set up by medicare and must raise prices on private individuals to make up for the loss that the government causes."

makes absolutely no sense. it's saying doctors get paid less by medicare therefore insurance companies (who also pay the doctors) must charge more. i wouldn't trust the person who wrote that's analysis of pretty much anything, since they don't seem to understand the subject or even basic logic or economics.
Well then, by golly, you have right here today dispelled the claims of many many articles and people and doctors that they need to charge more to others in order to cover the inadequate payments from Medicare!
It also makes one question why our efficient government would be paying more than privates are paying

Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,235,984 times
I don't think there will be a shortage of physicians. However, what will occur is you will have more physicians refusing to take Obamacare insurance much like many physicians refuse to treat Medicaid patients therefore the effect will essentially be the same. It doesn't matter if you have enough physicians if they refuse to see you.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:48 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,637,845 times
what you quoted didn't say doctors said they need to charge more.

it said that insurers need to charge more.

if you want to make an argument, you should probably cite a source that actually makes the same claim you are making. preferably written by someone who understands the difference between providers and insurers.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:48 PM

88,676 posts, read 44,430,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nope.
Sarcasm.

Ken
Why would you be sarcastic about people choosing to self-insure, or choosing to prioritize other things (cell phone, cable TV, Starbucks, etc.) over health insurance premiums?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
what you quoted didn't say doctors said they need to charge more.

it said that insurers need to charge more.

if you want to make an argument, you should probably cite a source that actually makes the same claim you are making. preferably written by someone who understands the difference between providers and insurers.
I just went and re-read it.
You're right. It does says that.That makes no sense
I was seeing what it should have said rather than what it does say.
.....unless I'm reading it wrong again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies