Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexigal View Post
I know of someone who decided not to purchase health care and instead spend the money on season tickets to a local professional team and to send his children to expensive sports camps and ongoing lessons of the same. His wife was too big a diva to work so they had a health club membership for her. And of course, he sustained a serious head injury and the taxpayers of my state paid for it! Many people donated money and gift cards for groceries. Instead of thanks the benefactor of the gift cards was asked if they would just give money in the future.

This is an example of just one family but it makes me wonder of how many more "entitled" are out there?
That is the beauty of this bill; everyone carries health insurance or else pays 2% of their income. This will solve your frustrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
And that my friend is something that the dems/libs overlook. There is this thing called "charity care" for people that cannot afford the bill. I have used it several times when I was younger. It worked then and still works now.
100% correct. I did the same thing many years ago. When I was discharged I walked right into the financial aid office, they lowered the bill and then set me up on a payment plan.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Haha. Didn't like the facts, so obviously they must not justify my point.

From my articles. 13 million young adults age 18-29 do not have insurance. Should I find a source that finds out what percentage of young adults age 18-29 have cell phones? How about internet access? Would that make you agree?
From my articles. 30 million uninsured are illegal immigrants.

Thats 43 million right there.

Then we add on those that don't have insurance by choice. Easily you can see that my points are verifiably factual.

You can continue to argue your point against the provided facts, but can you seriously believe what you are typing or are you just carrying the talking point?

Again, this is why the Healthcare bill is so good; everyone must carry health insurance or be fined 2% of their income! I bet jcarlilesiu even likes this idea!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Because whatever country has a single payer system rationing and long waits come with it.

Americans will not stand for long lines and waits.

Want to see what a wait looks like? Go across the river to Windsor from Detroit. Better yet go across the river in November when they've run out of money and all the emergency rooms are closed until New Years.
Have you been there?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
do you have a comprehension problem? just re-read the posts.

can you see the difference between these two sentences?

"young adults, people who choose not to get insurance, and illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured"

"young adults who choose not to get insurance and illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured"
They say the exact same thing. Who's on first again?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
They say the exact same thing. Who's on first again?
they don't say the same thing.

Quote:
young adults, people who choose not to get insurance, and illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured"
young adults AND people who choose not to get insurance AND illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured.

Quote:
"young adults who choose not to get insurance and illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured"
Young adults WHO choose not to get insurance and illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured.

You shouldn't worry about who's on first because obviously you’re sitting on the bench.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I don't have health insurance. a few weeks ago, while on a camping trip with the mens group from my church I was rushed to the ER. They thought it wa appendicitis, then kidney stones, then finally gall stoness. Long story short I was released after about 4 hours; after a cat scan, ultra sound, blood work, urinalysis, etc. Total bill including hospital, lab work, physician, etc, came to about $4600 . So what did I do? I simply called up the financial aid/business office and set up a payment plan.

Two days later I had a follow up at my family doctor. Since I have no insurance, I paid $60 up front, he gave me an excellent exam, spent plenty of time with me and wrote me a few prescriptions. Oh, it looks like I had diverticulitis, but they're still not sure.
You are screwed! Now you have a preexisting condition and no health insurance!

Diverticulitis can become quite serious at times and the underlying condition of Diverticulosis never goes away. You could possibly need emergency surgery for this condition in the future. I have seen it often.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
More importantly, why do they not have insurance?

-Are they illegal residents?
-Are they young and forgo it for a new car?

^^^thats the majority of people without insurance^^^

-Are they unemployed?
-Are they underemployed?
-Are they sick and can't get covered?
Are they self-employed and scraping by (especially in a difficult economy) trying to realize the *American Dream*?

Or are they young and spending money on a car and insurance because there's no other way to get to work? (Because public transportation isn't Amurican!)

And if they have a pre-existing condition, well, better luck next life.

Our current system is an abomination to the industrialized world of which we're supposed to be leaders.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Basic medical at my job then was like $80 a month, dental and vision were extra. It was only like $112 a month all together but at the time I just didn't have an extra $112 to give and I made too much money to qualify for Medicaid. I spent a couple of years in that too much for assistance but not enough to afford it grey area. So not ALL young people forgo insurance just so they can drive something shiny.
OK, you weren't driving something shiny, but was it really necessary to pay $500 a month in rent on $10 an hour? Now, if you were renting a room (they go for that much in my area) or sharing a 2BR apartment, I'll say ok. But if you were renting your own apartment and paying that much in rent, well....that was a bad decision, especially since you didn't have health ins.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
And that my friend is something that the dems/libs overlook. There is this thing called "charity care" for people that cannot afford the bill. I have used it several times when I was younger. It worked then and still works now.
Charity care makes medical care a privilege instead of a right. Often that privilege comes with some sort of proselytizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies