Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Nationalised healthcare isn't about sob stories or catering for the unemployed or spongers. A vast majority of the people who use the NHS in the UK are hard working succesful people. The NHS is Everyones health service, it belongs to us, we pay for it and we are very happy with it. We do NOT let this silly pettiness of some people getting a free ride stop us remembering that we get a great health system and we may be in the bad position of losing everything one day too. Not one single soul in the UK ever has to worry about getting healthcare, that is a increadable feling and every person is included. Wouldn't you like your health to be a non issue some day for ALL Americans?
Their answer = I don't care about all Americans, other Americans, or America in general. I only care about myself, and people who are like me.

It's the American way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Wouldn't you like your health to be a non issue some day for ALL Americans?
If we can maintain the same quality of care and EVERYBODY pays into the system equally, then more people might be interested. One of the sticking points here is that Obama has proposed to pay for his plan on the backs of the "rich". The definition of rich tends to change based on the needs of each administration. Next week, America might wake up and discover that by Obama's standards we are all rich.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Status Quo: What Do Sick People Do Who Have No Health Insurance?

Apparently they have kids, without the benefit of insurance. Otherwise there'd be no humans on the planet.
Apparently you're referring to my post, wherein I specifically stated that my husband lost his job/insurance during my first trimester. Perhaps I should have made it more clear for your benefit: it happened AFTER we found out I was expecting.

I'm not sure what your beef is, since I and the other poster with a similar story did not resort to Medicaid.

Are you pi$$ed that we procreated with our husbands, or that we didn't abort?

Amazing how much moralizing is happening in this thread.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Anybody know how to embed an mp3 - this poor gal needs "Cry Me a River". You are the problem, and you don't even see it. Everything in this post is exactly what is wrong with this country. An underlying sense of entitlment oozes from every paragraph.

Many of us old guys did not own a car when we were in college. We spent lots of time on campus - some of us even lived in ***eeek*** a dorm! There were no cell phones. If you are old enough to attend college, you don't need to call mommy everyday. Every campus today has PC labs. Usually free. Free paper, too.

You want to act like an adult - your own apartment, car, internet, phone, cable - but still behave like a child and have somebody else foot the bill. You are the problem.
You are the problem. Moderator cut: not necessary You keep trying to apply your life and your situation to everyone else's.An underlying sense of stupidy oozes from every paragraph. You don't understand that LIFE happens. One day I was fine, financially secure, no problems. Then life changed. It reaaranged things. And I adjusted. I handled my bills. I made it through a temporary situation.

I already had a car - was I supposed to sell it?
I already had an apartment - was I supposed to skip out on my lease?
You're an "old guy" so I guess you wouldn't understand the need for a computer while in college.
Free paper? Ha! Another stupid and incorrect assumption.
I didn't say I called my mom - I said she called me. I guess it was stupid and needy of her to be worried about me.

I did act like an adult. I got a job. I paid my bills. When I needed medical attention I paid for it with my money from my job. I didn't ask you or anyone else to foot the bill.

Then I got tired of working and going to school so I started having kids and now I'm sitting here eating steak, watching HBO and talking to you on my brand new computer that your tax dollars paid for. life is grand.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-13-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Stomach Ache doesn't matter - hospitals are required to find out the REASON for the stomach ache, all at no charge in accordance with EMTALA, if they go to the ER.

Now you are going to say they don't find it at the ER - my answer is that a misdiagnoses can happen weather you are a non-payer with a stomach ache at the ER, or someone with insurance visiting your regular doctor.

Not saying EMTALA is a solution to anything, just trying to clarify facts and misstatements.
Wrong. EMTALA does not state in any way that emergency room services are free.

Also, they do not have to find out the definitive reason for the stomach ache, all they are required to do is rule out any emergent cause. They are only required to "stabilize" emergent cases for discharge or transfer, or to admit as an inpatient otherwise.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Anybody know how to embed an mp3 - this poor gal needs "Cry Me a River". You are the problem, and you don't even see it. Everything in this post is exactly what is wrong with this country. An underlying sense of entitlment oozes from every paragraph.

Many of us old guys did not own a car when we were in college. We spent lots of time on campus - some of us even lived in ***eeek*** a dorm! There were no cell phones. If you are old enough to attend college, you don't need to call mommy everyday. Every campus today has PC labs. Usually free. Free paper, too.

You want to act like an adult - your own apartment, car, internet, phone, cable - but still behave like a child and have somebody else foot the bill. You are the problem.
I'm sorry, but the problem is that you make sweeping assumptions without foundation. I didn't own a car when I was in college. But when I returned to my hometown, that has NO public transportation, then I had to get a car. Walking eight miles to work each day, and eight miles home, walking four miles to a grocery store, and then arriving home with spoiled meats and milk, was not really a good option. My current hometown doesn't have a library. Doesn't even have a taxi service. Doesn't have any public access to the internet. There are many people who have to deal with realities that don't match the one you live. When you start to understand that, then perhaps you will begin to understand that those realities demand choices that your life doesn't demand. And it doesn't have anything to do with a sense of entitlement.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm sorry, but the problem is that you make sweeping assumptions without foundation. I didn't own a car when I was in college. But when I returned to my hometown, that has NO public transportation, then I had to get a car. Walking eight miles to work each day, and eight miles home, walking four miles to a grocery store, and then arriving home with spoiled meats and milk, was not really a good option. My current hometown doesn't have a library. Doesn't even have a taxi service. Doesn't have any public access to the internet. There are many people who have to deal with realities that don't match the one you live. When you start to understand that, then perhaps you will begin to understand that those realities demand choices that your life doesn't demand. And it doesn't have anything to do with a sense of entitlement.
Well you know you didn't have to buy meat or milk. Your choices are not my problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Seems that natayjones took care of her health needs on her own quite well, which was the question asked in the OP.
While I think she may have been able to squeeze $80 into her budget at the time, she didn't, but neither did she go without care nor suck at the gov't teat for it.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Wrong. EMTALA does not state in any way that emergency room services are free.

Also, they do not have to find out the definitive reason for the stomach ache, all they are required to do is rule out any emergent cause. They are only required to "stabilize" emergent cases for discharge or transfer, or to admit as an inpatient otherwise.
What is it with you guys? My previous post made it clear what I was explaining, an clarified that I was well aware of the provision of EMTALA. I didn't feel I needed to clarify it again for people that cannot take care to back up a few posts.

From EMTALA - "Individuals requesting emergency care, or those for whom a representative has made a request if the patient is unable, must receive a medical screening examination to determine whether an emergency medical condition (EMC) exists". I will refrain from saying WRONG to you (well, I guess I just did) because I know "medical screening" and "ruling out emergency" is just mincing words. See how civilized we can be in a debate?

The point of my post was that regardless of if you have insurance or not, ER or not, a medical screening will be performed that may or may not diagnose cancer if you have such.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What is it with you guys? My previous post made it clear what I was explaining, an clarified that I was well aware of the provision of EMTALA. I didn't feel I needed to clarify it again for people that cannot take care to back up a few posts.

From EMTALA - "Individuals requesting emergency care, or those for whom a representative has made a request if the patient is unable, must receive a medical screening examination to determine whether an emergency medical condition (EMC) exists". I will refrain from saying WRONG to you (well, I guess I just did) because I know "medical screening" and "ruling out emergency" is just mincing words. See how civilized we can be in a debate?

The point of my post was that regardless of if you have insurance or not, ER or not, a medical screening will be performed that may or may not diagnose cancer if you have such.
And I've been there, at 3 am, with a suicidal friend who slit his wrists earlier in the evening. And the medical screening examination determined that clotting was present, so an emergency medical condition didn't exist. Refused admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies