Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times

Advertisements

Ford to boost Focus, Escape production - Cash for Clunkers- msnbc.com

"Ford said it plans to build the Focuses at the Wayne Assembly Plant in Michigan, where the company will add Saturday shifts and weekday overtime to boost production.

The company will build the Escapes at its Kansas City Assembly Plant, where employees have agreed to work two days during a planned shutdown week in August."

Sounds fairly stimulating to me...Lets hear the wingers claim that this is just terrible news and how this will reck the economy. Come on, I need the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post

"Ford said it plans to build the Focuses at the Wayne Assembly Plant in Michigan, where the company will add Saturday shifts and weekday overtime to boost production.

The company will build the Escapes at its Kansas City Assembly Plant, where employees have agreed to work two days during a planned shutdown week in August."

Sounds fairly stimulating to me...Lets hear the wingers claim that this is just terrible news and how this will reck the economy. Come on, I need the laugh.
Super good news. This ramp up will have a ripple effect throughout the Industry...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Super good news. This ramp up will have a ripple effect throughout the Industry...
Oh good, more trades of old Clunkers for a new ones! They better speed up that assembly line! We need Quantity not Quality!

Fix Or Repair Daily!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
How Dare Obama get the American Auto industry working again!
Who does he think he is...the President?????

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:

Not a smart move. So they acknowledge that cash for clunkers helped. So unless they expect cash for clunkers to continue indefinitely why would they boost production?

What they will end up with is a lot of these cars that people wont buy unless cash for clunkers is still going on.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
A lot of these sales are probably "pull ahead sales." That is, people are choosing to buy now instead of later because of the incentive.

It is theoretically possible that the large amount of sales now will cause a dropoff in sales later. Time will tell how big of an issues this becomes. It could be very minor or a large slump.

EDIT: By the way, Ford already made over $2 Billion in profit in the quarter before the incentive started. Ford was on the road to recovery before this program began. This really isn't surprising as current Ford's leadership is far superior to that of GM and Chrysler.

Last edited by amploud; 08-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Can't spell today.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Not a smart move. So they acknowledge that cash for clunkers helped. So unless they expect cash for clunkers to continue indefinitely why would they boost production?

What they will end up with is a lot of these cars that people wont buy unless cash for clunkers is still going on.
So it's not aa good idea because it wont last forever? Really..Isn't that what stimulating a stagnant auto industry is about. They're not going wild, they will build a specific amount of cars based on what CFC has already done..Great news..Also, in case you missed it, CFC is still going on. Nice try, next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
A lot of these sales are probably "pull ahead sales." That is, people are choosing to buy now instead of later because of the incentive.

It is theoretically possible that the large amount of sales now will cause a dropoff in sales later. Time will tell how big of an issues this becomes. It could be very minor or a large slump.

EDIT: By the way, Ford already made over $2 Billion in profit in the quarter before the incentive started. Ford was on the road to recovery before this program began. This really isn't surprising as current Ford's leadership is far superior to that of GM and Chrysler.
Probably "pull ahead sales"...I bet Ford likes these "pull ahead sales", I bet the auto workers, the dealers, the junkers all like these "pull ahead sales"..These sales will keep some afloat while the economy slowly recovers and the "pull aside sales" resume but I guess that's just not good enough. You guys would rather sit and pout instead of actually get things moving. More hours for workers is always a GOOD thing no matter how paranoid you are.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
How Dare Obama get the American Auto industry working again!
Who does he think he is...the President?????
Not his job.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
More goodies to send to richer Chinese consumers.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:
So it's not aa good idea because it wont last forever? Really..Isn't that what stimulating a stagnant auto industry is about. They're not going wild, they will build a specific amount of cars based on what CFC has already done..Great news..Also, in case you missed it, CFC is still going on. Nice try, next.

Probably "pull ahead sales"...I bet Ford likes these "pull ahead sales", I bet the auto workers, the dealers, the junkers all like these "pull ahead sales"..These sales will keep some afloat while the economy slowly recovers and the "pull aside sales" resume but I guess that's just not good enough. You guys would rather sit and pout instead of actually get things moving. More hours for workers is always a GOOD thing no matter how paranoid you are.
I'm not saying C4C wasnt a good idea. Just that Ford's idea of increasing production because of inflated sales due to the C4C program isnt the best move.

And I know its still going on. But how long do you expect the extension to keep it going for? Another few months at the max? Do you think any of the "increased production" cars will even be completed by then?

It does no good debating with you as no matter what anyone says its your "side" vs theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies