Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok,

So people are against the healthcare reform proposal. The proposal thats been put forward, doesn't make Universal coverage, it doesn't put insurance companies out of business, and it would be paid for with higher taxes on those making 250,000 a year or more and by the savings over time.

So now what.

Healthcare costs are still to high in our country. We pay 33% more of our GDP than France does, and they have the highest ranked healthcare in the world, we are ranked 37th. We are paying more for less. Healthcare costs are projected to continue to rise, well beyond the rate of inflation. This will make it so businesses can no longer afford to pay for healthcare for their employees. Also, Insurance companies can continue to drop you for whatever reason they'd like.

All I hear Republicans doing is complaining about, "Give me my country back" Your country hasn't gone anywhere. What I'd like, is for BOTH parties to sit down, and hammer out a good bill, that saves us money, and covers everyone. I know this can be done. President Obama has asked for Republican input, yet, most of them are ignoring his calls for bipartisanship. Most are just spreading malicious lies, derailing an effort that is for a good reason.

I don't agree with the bill that the house passed a few weeks ago. It causes costs to rise beyond what they already are. But it was just a first step, it has to be debated, worked on, and then finally a final draft is passed on.

To give you an analogy. Barrack Obama is asking for a great american novel to be written. The Democrats in the house wrote an outline, but Republicans are saying it shouldn't be written at all. I know something needs to be done, but what?

Quit complaining, pull your shirt sleeves up, and lets hear some ideas.

MY IDEA,

Maybe you should contact your REPUBLICAN Senators and Representatives, and ask them to start working on a good bill, instead of only opposing a bad one.
In point of fact Republicans have introduced several market-based reforms in Congress. You haven't heard about them, you say? Not surprising. The mainstream media has no interest in giving air time to Republican proposals. Check out, for instance, what Senator Demint has introduced in Congress. But, like the media, you may not be interested precisely because these reforms are market-based and deal with specific issues that would make a significant difference in the affordability of health insurance. Liberals don't want to reform the system. They want the system to crash so that they can replace it with a government-dominated healthcare system. Like Rahm said, a good crisis should not be wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok,

So people are against the healthcare reform proposal. The proposal thats been put forward, doesn't make Universal coverage, it doesn't put insurance companies out of business, and it would be paid for with higher taxes on those making 250,000 a year or more and by the savings over time.

So now what.

Healthcare costs are still to high in our country. We pay 33% more of our GDP than France does, and they have the highest ranked healthcare in the world, we are ranked 37th. We are paying more for less. Healthcare costs are projected to continue to rise, well beyond the rate of inflation. This will make it so businesses can no longer afford to pay for healthcare for their employees. Also, Insurance companies can continue to drop you for whatever reason they'd like.

All I hear Republicans doing is complaining about, "Give me my country back" Your country hasn't gone anywhere. What I'd like, is for BOTH parties to sit down, and hammer out a good bill, that saves us money, and covers everyone. I know this can be done. President Obama has asked for Republican input, yet, most of them are ignoring his calls for bipartisanship. Most are just spreading malicious lies, derailing an effort that is for a good reason.

I don't agree with the bill that the house passed a few weeks ago. It causes costs to rise beyond what they already are. But it was just a first step, it has to be debated, worked on, and then finally a final draft is passed on.

To give you an analogy. Barrack Obama is asking for a great american novel to be written. The Democrats in the house wrote an outline, but Republicans are saying it shouldn't be written at all. I know something needs to be done, but what?

Quit complaining, pull your shirt sleeves up, and lets hear some ideas.

MY IDEA,

Maybe you should contact your REPUBLICAN Senators and Representatives, and ask them to start working on a good bill, instead of only opposing a bad one.
If an alien just came down to earth and read your diatribe on the situation at hand they would have a picture of 1 party deeply concerned for the American people trying desperately to reform a broken and corrupt system, while the other party is fighting to defend and protect that system. What nonsense!as if Pelosi , Reid and Obama are above the politics of it all, Republicans have all sorts of real Reform Ideas, who do you think has fought those and want nothing to do with them? Real REFORM, not just an attempt to finally get the government to get as much control as possible of the health care system , disguised as reform. Stop the nonsense. Bottom line is plenty of democrats are getting plenty of money from insurance companies, Real reform starts with bringing down the cost and keeping it under control

Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
If an alien just came down to earth and read your diatribe on the situation at hand they would have a picture of 1 party deeply concerned for the American people trying desperately to reform a broken and corrupt system, while the other party is fighting to defend and protect that system. What nonsense!as if Pelosi , Reid and Obama are above the politics of it all, Republicans have all sorts of real Reform Ideas, who do you think has fought those and want nothing to do with them? Real REFORM, not just an attempt to finally get the government to get as much control as possible of the health care system , disguised as reform. Stop the nonsense. Bottom line is plenty of democrats are getting plenty of money from insurance companies, Real reform starts with bringing down the cost and keeping it under control
That is one of the reasons I thought the proposal by John Mackey, from Whole Foods, was interesting. It seems to me it encourages thoughtful use of health care, coverage for catastropic illness plus some payments for health care savings (below the deductible).

http://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/pers...WholeFoods.pdf

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
This bill has no tort reform. Why? Must have been written by lawyers so it won't have tort reform, that is where they make a ton of money.

If they all got real about health care reform most would be marching for it to pass, now they just want to expand the Medicare state. Medicare is broke so we will all go the way of CA. People were forced onto Medicare and this bill will just increase that.

The private insurance companies will disappear when free insurance is offered, companies will stop offering it and one payer will become a reality. Put 2 & 2 together---seems the government can't.

No checks and balances so we will be told what docs we will go to even if they are bad ones. The bad ones will not be forced out since there will won't be sufficient number of docs to patients.

Need I go on???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies