Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Ok,

So people are against the healthcare reform proposal. The proposal thats been put forward, doesn't make Universal coverage, it doesn't put insurance companies out of business, and it would be paid for with higher taxes on those making 250,000 a year or more and by the savings over time.

So now what.

Healthcare costs are still to high in our country. We pay 33% more of our GDP than France does, and they have the highest ranked healthcare in the world, we are ranked 37th. We are paying more for less. Healthcare costs are projected to continue to rise, well beyond the rate of inflation. This will make it so businesses can no longer afford to pay for healthcare for their employees. Also, Insurance companies can continue to drop you for whatever reason they'd like.

All I hear Republicans doing is complaining about, "Give me my country back" Your country hasn't gone anywhere. What I'd like, is for BOTH parties to sit down, and hammer out a good bill, that saves us money, and covers everyone. I know this can be done. President Obama has asked for Republican input, yet, most of them are ignoring his calls for bipartisanship. Most are just spreading malicious lies, derailing an effort that is for a good reason.

I don't agree with the bill that the house passed a few weeks ago. It causes costs to rise beyond what they already are. But it was just a first step, it has to be debated, worked on, and then finally a final draft is passed on.

To give you an analogy. Barrack Obama is asking for a great american novel to be written. The Democrats in the house wrote an outline, but Republicans are saying it shouldn't be written at all. I know something needs to be done, but what?

Quit complaining, pull your shirt sleeves up, and lets hear some ideas.

MY IDEA,

Maybe you should contact your REPUBLICAN Senators and Representatives, and ask them to start working on a good bill, instead of only opposing a bad one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,051 times
Ask yourself this: What has the GOP done to address the health care problem over the last 15 years? The answer is NOTHING. That's the bottom line here, they are interested in nothing but protecting the status quo and are nothing more than shills for the insurance industry.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I'm not against healthcare reform. I am against the current bill which is NOT reform.
Our ELECTED OFFICIALS, the ones on Washington the represent US, the US citizen need to listen to us and not the lobbyists and put together a doable plan with a means to pay for it.

Use of generic drugs over big pharma exclusive use would help.
Better regulation of insurance companies would help.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So people are against the healthcare reform proposal. The proposal thats been put forward, doesn't make Universal coverage, it doesn't put insurance companies out of business, and it would be paid for with higher taxes on those making 250,000 a year or more and by the savings over time.
False assumptions. There are many unanswered questions, such as how a public option competes fairly with private options.

What is to prevent an employer from dumping their healthcare benefits and opting to pay the fine instead, resulting in employees losing their current insurance and being forced to the public plan?

Even assuming the results could be what are promised, why should people making over $250K pay for them, and will that be the actual result? Soaking one group of people and confiscating their income to redistribute it to others is unamerican. Even the White House has hinted the tax increases could be much more intrusive.

Before I could even begin to think about supporting this thing, I would need to see a clear, concise, and transparent explanation of what exactly happens, what I can expect, and how it will be paid for in best case and worst case scenarios with a statutory limit on taxes that can be levied to pay for it. Otherwise, I fear this will be another Social Security program where tons of promises are made and Congress and the White House squander the money and reach in our pockets for more, because it's now a "crisis."

Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Just keep it as it is and let the taxpayer pay for those with no care. Let small problems become big problems BC folks don't see a doc and then finally have to go to the ER on the taxpayers' dime.

I don't like change. Keep it like it is.

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
The issue at hand isn't health care reform, it's health care coverage -- insurance -- "reform"..

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
So you're against healthcare reform, so what do we do then?

Well, some will go broke and lose their homes because they were careless enough to get a terminal illness.

Some will watch their children die because an insurance executive neede to make 100 grand an hour.

The Republicans will stand around with their thumbs up their butts wondering why the economy is tanking......and the Wealthy, who the Repubs worship more than god, will smile, lick their lips and be happy they fooled the stupid republicans once again.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok,

So now what.

Healthcare costs are still to high in our country. We pay 33% more of our GDP than France does, and they have the highest ranked healthcare in the world, we are ranked 37th. We are paying more for less. Healthcare costs are projected to continue to rise, well beyond the rate of inflation. This will make it so businesses can no longer afford to pay for healthcare for their employees. Also, Insurance companies can continue to drop you for whatever reason they'd like.

All I hear Republicans doing is complaining about, "Give me my country back" Your country hasn't gone anywhere. What I'd like, is for BOTH parties to sit down, and hammer out a good bill, that saves us money, and covers everyone. I know this can be done. President Obama has asked for Republican input, yet, most of them are ignoring his calls for bipartisanship. Most are just spreading malicious lies, derailing an effort that is for a good reason.

I don't agree with the bill that the house passed a few weeks ago. It causes costs to rise beyond what they already are. But it was just a first step, it has to be debated, worked on, and then finally a final draft is passed on.

To give you an analogy. Barrack Obama is asking for a great american novel to be written. The Democrats in the house wrote an outline, but Republicans are saying it shouldn't be written at all. I know something needs to be done, but what?

Quit complaining, pull your shirt sleeves up, and lets hear some ideas.

MY IDEA,

Maybe you should contact your REPUBLICAN Senators and Representatives, and ask them to start working on a good bill, instead of only opposing a bad one.
All the good liberals, starting with Barbara Streisand, should pool your money and start your own single payer system. Leave the rest of us who are doing just fine the hell alone.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
No change is better than bad change or change for the sake of change.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:35 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Just keep it as it is and let the taxpayer pay for those with no care. Let small problems become big problems BC folks don't see a doc and then finally have to go to the ER on the taxpayers' dime.

Oddly, even people who can afford to pay for doctor visits out-of-pocket or who have Medicaid end up using the ER for what should be routine office visits because so many doctors won't see people without insurance or with Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies