U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,307,913 times

Advertisements

Well, it might be one stopgap solution...

Remote Area Medical - Rural AMerica Program

The British charity Remote Area Medical - which normally works in third-world countries like Guyana - has staged several highly-attented and well-reviewed triage clinics in the US. This included a huge event near Grundy, Virginia in early 2008 which attracted thousands and was covered on 60 Minutes:

U.S. Health Care Gets Boost From Charity

A current clinic in the LA Forum arena in Inglewood, California has also drawn massive crowds. Remote Area Medical will also be holding future events in places like rural Utah, along with several events in Tennessee and Kentucky:

Schedule - 2009

Should we invite more third-world medical charities to come into the US and offer this sort of care? Perhaps that's one measure we can take to help solve the current healthcare crisis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,531,908 times
Here's the 60 Minutes video on Remote Area Medical's visit to Knoxville, TN. Notice how so many in the video have jobs.

U.S. Health Care Gets Boost From Charity - 60 Minutes - CBS News

(Sorry, I just brought back a thread from 2008 on Remote Area Medical right before you created this thread. I'll see if the mods can merge that thread into yours as you have more information in the opening post.)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,330,350 times
Sure, hey lets have them spend their own dough. It's only money we have given them anyway.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,307,913 times
We give money to the UK?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
We give money to the UK?
Yup.

USAID Europe and Eurasia: Ireland/Northern Irelend (UK) (http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/countries/ie/ - broken link)

Again another person who asks a question as if an answer contrary to their beliefs would change their mind. My guess is it won't.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,842,644 times
table I have been watching these daily reports on NBC News on the work Remote Area Medical has been doing in Los Angeles and it is quite clear there are so many Americans lacking healthcare & what is so surprising is that many are the working poor who fall through the cracks.
They can't afford private health insurance yet aren't poor enough for Medicaid or some other Government program.
What surprised me is how many were young families with children and employed! Something is seriously wrong here.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
table I have been watching these daily reports on NBC News on the work Remote Area Medical has been doing in Los Angeles and it is quite clear there are so many Americans lacking healthcare & what is so surprising is that many are the working poor who fall through the cracks.
They can't afford private health insurance yet aren't poor enough for Medicaid or some other Government program.
What surprised me is how many were young families with children and employed! Something is seriously wrong here.
Crazy me I waited to have a child until I cold afford to take care of him.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 PM

30,707 posts, read 33,507,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Crazy me I waited to have a child until I cold afford to take care of him.
I did too. It was actually part of a plan:

1. get a job
2. buy a car
2. get married
3. buy a house
4. have kids

For the most part it worked out pretty well and it wasn't hard to figure out. BUT we didn't loose our jobs at any point. That may have changed things.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I did too. It was actually part of a plan:

1. get a job
2. buy a car
2. get married
3. buy a house
4. have kids

For the most part it worked out pretty well and it wasn't hard to figure out. BUT we didn't loose our jobs at any point. That may have changed things.
Loosing a job wouldn't impact me, I planned for that too. you forgot #5

Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,531,908 times
From the 60 Minutes video for those who don't watch it:

60% of Remote Area Medical's work, as of 2008, is now in the U.S. where once it was only in 3rd-world countries.

On a Friday night in Knoxville, the State Guard starts handing out tickets to people who drive in, some from 200 miles away, and sleep in their cars on a 27 degree night to ensure getting in for the one-weekend only visit of RAM. 600 people showed up overnight.

A doctor describes the patients as, "Working poor, without substance abuse problems, underinsured and these are the "lucky ones."

"The lord will provide," one woman who can't see out of her left eye says, "just not today...I've worked all my life..."

400 people were turned away on Sunday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies