Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 PM

402 posts, read 852,897 times

Advertisements

This would be like saying its anti-American and rascist to display a German flag because we fought them and they killed so many people (which the confeds didn't). Its a flag, its a symbol of the south. I see as many confederate flags in Alabama as I did in Pennsylvania and Northern Virginia, and not that many in any of those places. No one supports bringing back slavery, and to the extent that rascism still exists it is spread evenly across the country.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 22,776 times
Im in the south and I hate it, I'm trying to leave in the next two months or so, I visit my dad in Vicksburg, MS , they actually have a battlefield park here with monuments and stuff to read about how hard they fought. most people stopping to read the signs are white people from Kentucky and Alabama.

The black people just walk by because its shameful.

The south is 600 years behind time don't ever think of moving to the south.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young28 View Post
Im in the south and I hate it, I'm trying to leave in the next two months or so, I visit my dad in Vicksburg, MS , they actually have a battlefield park here with monuments and stuff to read about how hard they fought. most people stopping to read the signs are white people from Kentucky and Alabama.

The black people just walk by because its shameful.

The south is 600 years behind time don't ever think of moving to the south.
What part of the South are you in?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM

I lived in TN for 10 years. I'm in Mississippi now due to family obligations

Old 08-17-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm not bashing anyone from Alabama or Kentucky, just pointing out people from those states seem to have a special interest in the battlefield park and the confederate flag for some reason.

I don't think many people from the north can really know the burn of racism until you have lived in a state like Mississippi. I have family members who have picked cotton with their bare hands.

My dad did but he went to college and became a teacher in the 60s.

I respect him so much for that. This subject is very personal for me. I HATE that flag with a passion.

They sport that flag here(mississippi) to send out a message.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young28 View Post
I lived in TN for 10 years. I'm in Mississippi now due to family obligations
So you're in the most economically depressed part of the South and you try to broadbrush the entire REGION accordingly?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So you're in the most economically depressed part of the South and you try to broadbrush the entire REGION accordingly?

I think we should be a little more sensitive to what they said. I feel bad for the history of their family with racism.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think we should be a little more sensitive to what they said. I feel bad for the history of their family with racism.
Hell, I'm a Black guy from South Carolina and my family history isn't a lot different, but to say that the entire South is 600 years behind the rest of the country is absolutely ludicrous. More Black folks are moving to the South than any other region in the country and it's been like that for years now--and that's in spite of the region's history.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM

I am in the most economically depressed part of South which is why I can speak and write what i wrote if you don't like it thats your hang up.

I'm not trying to "broadbrush" an entire region just speaking my point of view. I think we all are intitled to that.

Have YOU ever LIVED in a place like Mississippi or are you just quoting what you read. I speak it, write it because I HAVE LIVED IT.

DEAL WITH IT.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:25 PM

Black folks are staying away from the south as well and its not just blacks that stay away from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies