Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,178,546 times

Advertisements

Any time I see anything like this, whether it comes from Newsmax or where it comes from, when they point out who did the poll and all that I am happy for the Senate. However, I wonder if it would be any kind of good since Turban Durbin would take his place.

1. Poll: Majority Leader Reid Vulnerable in 2010
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid may be the most powerful Democrat in the upper house, but he's not the most popular politician in his home state of Nevada.
A new poll of likely voters reveals that in a head-to-head race in 2010, Nevada Republican Party Chairwoman Sue Lowden would defeat Reid by 6 percentage points — 48 percent favored Lowden, 42 chose Reid, and 10 percent were undecided.
Lowden has not announced her candidacy, and in fact, the poll was commissioned by Nevada Republicans in an effort to convince her to toss her hat in the ring, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
In the poll by Denver-based Vitale and Associates, 44 percent of respondents identified themselves as Democrats, 38 percent said they were Republicans, 15 percent said they were independent, and 3 percent did not state an affiliation.
The poll also disclosed that only 39 percent of respondents had a favorable view of Reid, who was first elected to the Senate in 1986, and just 34 percent said they would vote to re-elect him.
The results of the poll will help encourage Lowden to run, according to Republican strategist Robert Uithoven, who said "there's plenty of support for her."
Nevada's unemployment figure of more than 12 percent is likely contributing to Reid's low approval rating, the Review-Journal observed.
"All of those are very, very telling pieces of information," said pollster Todd Vitale. "I've never seen an incumbent with numbers this bad who hadn't had some scandal."
Interestingly, a Nevada politician who is involved in a scandal has a higher favorable rating than the majority leader.
Republican Sen. John Ensign confessed in June to a nine-month affair with Cindy Hampton, a campaign aide. But the poll showed his favorable rating at 40 percent, 1 percentage point higher than Reid's.
Ensign does not face re-election until 2012.
Editor's Note:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 PM

9,876 posts, read 10,787,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Any time I see anything like this, whether it comes from Newsmax or where it comes from, when they point out who did the poll and all that I am happy for the Senate. However, I wonder if it would be any kind of good since Turban Durbin would take his place.

1. Poll: Majority Leader Reid Vulnerable in 2010
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid may be the most powerful Democrat in the upper house, but he's not the most popular politician in his home state of Nevada.
A new poll of likely voters reveals that in a head-to-head race in 2010, Nevada Republican Party Chairwoman Sue Lowden would defeat Reid by 6 percentage points — 48 percent favored Lowden, 42 chose Reid, and 10 percent were undecided.
Lowden has not announced her candidacy, and in fact, the poll was commissioned by Nevada Republicans in an effort to convince her to toss her hat in the ring, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
In the poll by Denver-based Vitale and Associates, 44 percent of respondents identified themselves as Democrats, 38 percent said they were Republicans, 15 percent said they were independent, and 3 percent did not state an affiliation.
The poll also disclosed that only 39 percent of respondents had a favorable view of Reid, who was first elected to the Senate in 1986, and just 34 percent said they would vote to re-elect him.
The results of the poll will help encourage Lowden to run, according to Republican strategist Robert Uithoven, who said "there's plenty of support for her."
Nevada's unemployment figure of more than 12 percent is likely contributing to Reid's low approval rating, the Review-Journal observed.
"All of those are very, very telling pieces of information," said pollster Todd Vitale. "I've never seen an incumbent with numbers this bad who hadn't had some scandal."
Interestingly, a Nevada politician who is involved in a scandal has a higher favorable rating than the majority leader.
Republican Sen. John Ensign confessed in June to a nine-month affair with Cindy Hampton, a campaign aide. But the poll showed his favorable rating at 40 percent, 1 percentage point higher than Reid's.
Ensign does not face re-election until 2012.
Editor's Note:
Anytime we can get rid of one those entrenched dinasours, its a good thing, in 94 washington state cleaned and fumigated all but 1, (Mcdermott) of their old commie lib democrats including house speaker tom foley.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM

If that bit of news is at all possibly good think about this little bit from Newsmax.

2. Gingrich: GOP Could Take House in 2010
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich thinks things could be looking up for the Republicans in the 2010 elections.
He told Fox News Channel's Sean Hannity: "I think there is an outside but growing possibility that you could begin to see Republicans take the House in 2010" because voter dissatisfaction with various Democratic initiatives. "When people get mad over one item, and then they get mad over a second item, and then they get mad over a third item, they build momentum," Gingrich stated.
As for the Democrats in the Senate in 2010, Gingrich told Hannity: "I think it's very hard for them to lose the majority in the Senate, but easy for them to end up with a net loss of three or four [seats]."
That would destroy the Democrats' current 60-vote, filibuster-proof majority.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,944,100 times
Just from anecdotal evidence, the liberals plan on staying at home. It doesn't surprise me one bit.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:43 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,944,100 times
Dodd is likely out too. Hopefully with Schiff, but Simmons can't be any worse either.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
2010 is a long time away, politically.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
2010 is a long time away, politically.
Some are surely hoping so, anyway. I don't see any of these mentioned here getting back. I didn't say they would be replaced by the other party just that they likely won't be back.

Someone should have said something about the great RINO, Arlen Specter. He can't even beat the Dem he changed parties to take on for the nomination.

I do believe that many of them, in both parties, are in trouble and wish we had term limits so we would be getting rid of a lot of them. Reid, Dodd, and Specter have all been there too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies