Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:42 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,401,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
True, but if there was a government sponsored website that had all the information on the candidate and where they stand on each and every issue, that would be very helpful. When the primaries come have debates...real debates not the crap that we have now where they each give prepared statements without argueing back and forth.
now that's a very good set of ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

512 posts, read 859,394 times
Quote:
I think most if not all americans want this. Most of the posts on CD can be boiled down to either Democrats evil Republicans good, Republicans evil Democrats good. The old strategy of divide and conquer is working to perfection. I guess it is easier to hate than to want to work together on something we all can agree on, very sad.
Unfortunately, this is true.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

512 posts, read 859,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think town halls at home should be a required duty of every elected official, two a year at least. As long as it takes, no pre-selected questioners, be prepared to explain and show the reasons for every vote and uncast vote, every trip taken outside the home state (or county, or DC).

Transcripts and DVDs provided free from his/her office and from the public access studio or PBS studio where it was shot.

The other side of this is that the citizens attending have to be prepared -- know the official's voting record and basically his/her every move since going to Washington or the state capital -- this isnt hard to find.

This doesnt have to be a law -- the people just need to make it clear that they'll vote for the guys who want to communicate and not vote for the guys who dont.

This would be great IMO but it wd have to start at the lowest municipal levels, and grow from there.

Participation, what a novel concept. The only serious way of showing these officials who's the boss.
If we could get more people involved on a local level, a non-partisan effort to hold our politicians feet to the fire and keep ourselves informed and not so apt to split into an Us vs. Them mentality (which, BTW, only works to the favor of the politicians) power could be balanced between politicians and constituents once again.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,256,365 times
Quote:
Everyone with two brain cells should understand that special interest groups have too much control over our politicians. I have a simple idea as to end this. Not complicated. Does not take a 1000 page bill. Here is the bill.

If a representative takes any money in contributions or from lobbyist in any form, that representative may not vote on any bill that would affect the special interest group. Also, the representative may not lobby on behalf of the special interest group to have any other representative vote for or against a bill affecting the special interest group. Furthermore, no representative will be allowed to work for or receive financial compensation from a speciail interest group that he voted for or against in any legislation within 5 years after he leaves office.

Any representative found in violation by a court of law and not the house rules committee will be found in violation and guilty of a felony punishable with up to 10 years in prison.

I don't care if it is the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, Insurance companies, or the national association of farters. It is time to take our government back.
Public financing of campaigns. Outlawing private/corporate contributions. It's the only way.

But every time it's introduced into Congress, the Republicans shoot it down.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,401,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Public financing of campaigns. Outlawing private/corporate contributions. It's the only way.

But every time it's introduced into Congress, the Republicans shoot it down.
The GOP is certainly PART of the blame.

The Dems are just as guilty, I'm afraid.

Lobby money IS a cash cow for our law makers after all.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,553,895 times
Good thread. Fritz Hollings talks about this in his book, Making Government Work. He talks about how the money and the continuous campaign have ruined Washington.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,919,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Good thread. Fritz Hollings talks about this in his book, Making Government Work. He talks about how the money and the continuous campaign have ruined Washington.
I will have to do some work on this. I don't think congress will ever pass a comprehensive bill like what I am advocating because their hands are in the cookie jar. What may need to happen is for enough states to pass it to get a constitutional amendment. I am not sure if that will work to get a constitutional amendment, but if we have some constitutional experts here maybe they could give some ideas. BTW reading the constitution one time does not make you an expert.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,553,895 times
Quote:
I will have to do some work on this. I don't think congress will ever pass a comprehensive bill like what I am advocating because their hands are in the cookie jar. What may need to happen is for enough states to pass it to get a constitutional amendment. I am not sure if that will work to get a constitutional amendment, but if we have some constitutional experts here maybe they could give some ideas. BTW reading the constitution one time does not make you an expert.
I agree. Congress will not pass anything because it will take money out of their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies