Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,200 times

Advertisements

Just had a long discussion with my father in law who tends to be very conservative starting off with the healthcare bill and then leading into social security. I've not found anything that backs up his points and so wanted to see if i could ask some questions here.

Anyway, first off my father has heart problems, had a heart attack several years ago. His medication runs about $700 every three months AFTER insurance. I'd hate to see what it costs normally because I think they have pretty good prescription plan. Mine covers nothing, I just get a BCBS "discount". Anyway, he clearly stated that under Obama's original plan, he would not be covered because it cost too much. Can someone please explain to me what the heck he is talking about because I have found nothing that supports that statement whatsoever. I was out of the country for a month back when this all started and have only researched the current stuff that is going on now.

Second, he stated that SS was bankrupt right now. I have only heard and have only found articles that say ss will go bankrupt ranging anywhere from 20 years from now to ~2075.

I wonder if it is possible to have a decent dialogue concerning these two items with no name calling, with noone saying such and such party are idiots, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
Anyway, first off my father has heart problems, had a heart attack several years ago. His medication runs about $700 every three months AFTER insurance. I'd hate to see what it costs normally because I think they have pretty good prescription plan. Mine covers nothing, I just get a BCBS "discount". Anyway, he clearly stated that under Obama's original plan, he would not be covered because it cost too much.
I wish there was a specific "Obama plan" I could go to, and check this out for you, but there isn't. There are a number of health care/health insurance reform bills in Congress - the one that's getting the most attention is H.R. 3200 (America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009). I don't see anything in the bill that would mean that people would be denied coverage because it cost too much.

In fact, the summary of H.R. 3200 found on THOMAS starts with this:
America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 - Sets forth provisions governing health insurance plans and issuers, including: (1) exempting grandfathered health insurance coverage from requirements of this Act; (2) prohibiting preexisting condition exclusions; (3) providing for guaranteed coverage to all individuals and employers and automatic renewal of coverage; (4) prohibiting premium variances, except for reasons of age, area, or family enrollment; and (5) prohibiting rescission of health insurance coverage without clear and convincing evidence of fraud.

Requires qualified health benefits plans to provide essential benefits. Prohibits an essential benefits package from imposing any annual or lifetime coverage limits. Lists required covered services, including hospitalization, prescription drugs, mental health services, preventive services, maternity care, and children's dental, vision, and hearing services and equipment. Limits annual out-of-pocket expenses to $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for a family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
Second, he stated that SS was bankrupt right now. I have only heard and have only found articles that say ss will go bankrupt ranging anywhere from 20 years from now to ~2075.
You're right - the forecasts are quite varied. Social Security is not bankrupt at this point in time, and there are many guesses as to when it might reach that state.

Something that may be of help is the 2008 Social Security Trustees report that included the following in the overview section:
Annual cost will begin to exceed tax income in 2017 for the combined OASDI Trust Funds, which are projected to become exhausted and thus unable to pay scheduled benefits in full on a timely basis in 2041 under the long-range intermediate assumptions.
Now, that's what the projection was in 2008, based on 2007 data. A whole lot has happened since then, and I suspect that the date of 2041 has slipped, and that Social Security will be in serious trouble prior to that date.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,200 times
Thanks, I hope that my post didn't give the impression that I don't do my own research, that couldn't be farther that the truth! I just couldn't find information on these particular topics. I know that they said that SS would be "exhausted" by such and such date but all I could find that really gave a good interpretation of the data was: The 2009 Social Security Trustees' Report: Good News Behind the Headlines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies