Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 09:43 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post

Among the Christians in YOUR OWN CHURCH, you are to do that. But by pointing out sin anywhere else you ARE judging.

You allow them to see the blessings in your own life - show them those blessings by your attitude and how you live your life. Then, when they become curious about why your life is so good and you are always so calm and happy, THEN you tell them about your beliefs and explain how those beliefs keep you on an even keel. (This has been my brother's method of evangelism for over twenty years - he always has a couple of Bibles which he uses to point out a few verses about Christ Jesus then gives to those he's talking to. Then he just gets the heck out of the way and leaves the 'redemption' up to God.)

And it makes perfect sense that you will not accept those things IN YOUR OWN LIFE. But you simply cannot go about trying to control other's lives, especially when their lives have no impact on your own.
Standing Ovation!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I do not judge, only God can do that. I can declare or in other words proclaim that there is a sin being committed. In fact as a Christian I am suppose to point out where others are sinning so that they may address that sin and gain redemption.
My fellow brother of which you are, I guess this is where we disagree on some religious things. I agree that we are to "inform" for lack of a better word, those that are sinning BUT that does not include insulting them. It is to be done in a loving caring way and if we can not get them to see we must then just let them know we and God are there if they CHOOSE to stop. I have many friends that sin but I don't look down on them or call them names because I to sin everyday. I will never be worthy of God's love I can only hope that they will "see the light". I understand your dislike with what gays are doing but the way you state it is wrong IMO and will only drive people away from Christ.

Quote:
How can you show others they are blessed if you don't help them see why they are not? Do you really understand that you and I are sinners, and that Jesus gave his life so that we can be forgiven our sins?
No it is not for us to show them how they are blessed it is for them to see how WE are and WANT to walk with Jesus. I don't ever preach to anyone unless they ask me, I do however praise Jesus for all he has given me and how much he has changed my life. Show them through example not Bible passages.

Quote:
I know I am not perfect, I know that I sin, and I strive everyday to make myself better in the eyes of God. But at the same time, I can not and refuse to consider accepting something I know is a sin. I will not accept murder, I will not accept stealing, I will not accept adultery, and I will not accept homosexuality.
No one said you have to accept the act but the person, yes. I have a cousin that is a lesbian and she has a partner that we have accepted into our family and love her as much as we love my cousin. Do I agree with or even understand being homosexual? No, I know what it says in the Bible about it BUT I can love and accept the person but not the sin. I leave the judgment to God. We are here to show others how wonderful it is to live in the light with God but how can you do that if you consistently are so dark and mean.

I am not trying to ever tell you what to believe or how to live I just think when people hurl insults and belittle others for what we feel is sin only drives people AWAY from God. As I said you are my brother in Christ and for that you have a place in my heart as we will meet one day but I do disagree with your approach.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Seconded.

It's beyond me how social conservatism has survived so long. These people are psychos without the diagnosis.

That is completely unfair. We all have our beliefs and our principals and although they may differ that does not make someone a "psycho". I happen to be a Conservative Christian that believes gays should be able to marry so don't paint with such a broad brush. Do assume that every conservative is a "psycho" you limit yourself when you do this.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM

I just want to say something here about Tymberwulf and all those attacking him. We all have a set of belief's and just like you don't want to have those beliefs pushed on you or be told that they are wrong neither does he. I am a Christian and I really try to stay away from religious debates on here because Christians are slammed pretty hard but just as you have your strong beliefs so does Tymberwulf and both sides should be respected.

*ok off my soap box please continue*

Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,409 times
The federal government should back away from this issue - it should not, nor do I believe it has the right, to determine this issue for the states.

This should be strictly a matter for the individual states to decide. I would hope that the states not desiring this legislation would use the 10th amendment to negate any federal ruling.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I just want to say something here about Tymberwulf and all those attacking him. We all have a set of belief's and just like you don't want to have those beliefs pushed on you or be told that they are wrong neither does he. I am a Christian and I really try to stay away from religious debates on here because Christians are slammed pretty hard but just as you have your strong beliefs so does Tymberwulf and both sides should be respected.

*ok off my soap box please continue*
Wanted to 'rep' you, but since I did once this morning already, have to do it this way.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
The federal government should back away from this issue - it should not, nor do I believe it has the right, to determine this issue for the states.

This should be strictly a matter for the individual states to decide. I would hope that the states not desiring this legislation would use the 10th amendment to negate any federal ruling.
Actually, repealing the DOMA will not affect any state laws at all. Because the DOMA affects only federal laws, rules, regulations and such.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

YouTube - Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else

Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Among the Christians in YOUR OWN CHURCH, you are to do that. But by pointing out sin anywhere else you ARE judging.

As far as this issue, there is no finger-pointing going on except for gays who want to be included in an institution that was never intended for them in the first place.

A right that never existed in the first place cannot suddenly be "taken away."

What we are seeing is a full assault on morality and people who seek to uphold what is and always has been Marriage are villified, ridiculed and even persecuted.

Judging indeed.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
[/font][/color]
As far as this issue, there is no finger-pointing going on except for gays who want to be included in an institution that was never intended for them in the first place.

A right that never existed in the first place cannot suddenly be "taken away."

What we are seeing is a full assault on morality and people who seek to uphold what is and always has been Marriage are villified, ridiculed and even persecuted.

Judging indeed.
So the ability to get married is only for people you deem deserve it? What a completely assinine thought. Oh, by the way, that's called blatant discrimination, ever heard of it? I'd say that you are morally corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies