Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'd say that you are morally corrupt.
see what I mean folks. I just posted this...

What we are seeing is a full assault on morality and people who seek to uphold what is and always has been Marriage are villified, ridiculed and even persecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
[/font][/color]
As far as this issue, there is no finger-pointing going on except for gays who want to be included in an institution that was never intended for them in the first place.

A right that never existed in the first place cannot suddenly be "taken away."

What we are seeing is a full assault on morality and people who seek to uphold what is and always has been Marriage are villified, ridiculed and even persecuted.

Judging indeed.
Marriage is for any two consenting adults that love each other and want to spend their lives together. How is it an assault on morality?

I have posed this question before but no one who is against gay marriage has answered.

I don't know if you have children but let's say you have a daughter. Would you rather she marry a loving, caring woman and have them make a life together or have her sleep with a different man every other night?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Bwaahahahaha!!! Awesome! Another standing O!

Quote:

Except it's NOT what marriage always has been.

NOT.

And as has been pointed out several times in this thread, The United States Supreme Court has ruled that marriage is "one of the basic civil rights of man" that is not to be infringed on by the government.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Marriage is for any two consenting adults that love each other and want to spend their lives together.
This is not marriage-this is a living arrangement that could exist between any kind of pairing under the sun. Sorry.

Marriage is much more than that.

Marriage is the divinely instituted union of a man and woman with the expressed purpose of creating a family which is the basic unit of humanity.

Now civil laws may have decided to include 'marriage' unto itself, but that does not give them nor any one else the right to change its definition.

Hence the current controversy.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And as has been pointed out several times in this thread, The United States Supreme Court has ruled that marriage is "one of the basic civil rights of man" that is not to be infringed on by the government.
Yes, and any man and woman has the right to marry.

I agree with the Supreme Court.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
The federal government should back away from this issue - it should not, nor do I believe it has the right, to determine this issue for the states.

This should be strictly a matter for the individual states to decide. I would hope that the states not desiring this legislation would use the 10th amendment to negate any federal ruling.
No. It's absolutely a federal concern. If left to the states, the entire South would block the civil right of marriage for people living there. And it would be blocked for religious reasons. Religion has absolutely no place in deciding law in this country.

What's so ironic is that religious conservatives who want to prohibit gay marriage based on religious precepts are all people who want the U.S. to be a theocracy--and are also people who are the loudest vocal opponents of theocracy elsewhere. And, true to form, they do not see the contradiction. The right to a civil marriage is a civil right. Christians and their churches have every right to deny the marriage vows to gay couples. But they do NOT have the right to determine who does and who does not get civil rights in our society at large.

You want to live in a country where the laws are decided based on a theological text? Then pack up your sh*t and move to the Middle East. Here, in America, civil rights are not determined based on religious beliefs.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,289 times
Quote:
This is not marriage-this is a living arrangement that could exist between any kind of pairing under the sun. Sorry.

Marriage is much more than that.

Marriage is the divinely instituted union of a man and woman with the expressed purpose of creating a family which is the basic unit of humanity.

Now civil laws may have decided to include 'marriage' unto itself, but that does not give them nor any one else the right to change its definition.

Hence the current controversy.
Marriage has nothing to do with "divinity." It's a civil right. Keep your religion off my country's laws.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
No. It's absolutely a federal concern. If left to the states, the entire South would block the civil right of marriage for people living there. And it would be blocked for religious reasons. Religion has absolutely no place in deciding law in this country.
But Marriage to most Americans is a religious rite.

Remove Marriage from Civil Law and this argument is done.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Keep your religion off my country's laws.
Then keep your country's laws off of my religious institution!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:

Your "morals" as you so put it are corrupt. Need I say more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies