Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If the government is going to take you into their custody, then they have the obligation to protect your safety. Prison should not be a nice place. I think prisoners should have to work to pay society. However, we should not be forcing people to be victims of crime because we allow other criminals to continue to commit the same crimes that we're punishing them for.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A fair post and I admit that your points are in fact valid. That said our corrections officers are not allowed to use the force required to control the violent offenders. They are under staffed, not armed well enough, and the rules of engagement make enforcement of law nearly imposssible.
The problem is in the endeavor to (rehabilitate) (which is a pipe dream) . You can't rehabilitate someone who thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Thank you. Now we're getting somewhere.

As to what do we do? I don't pretend to have any knowledge of how to run a prison day to day. But a few general points seem clear. First we're locking up too many people. Second, the most violent offenders need to be isolated from the rest of the population. And third, it baffles me that there is ever freedom for prisoners to roam within the prison population. I don't know how subjecting oneself to that kind of risk would ever be considered a privilege. Again, I haven't lived it so maybe there are things that wouldn't occur to me, and maybe it would be very difficult to accomplish in reality, but it would seem that simply keeping them away from each other would solve a lot of problems.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Divide the population in half. One half works all day, and the other half is the night crew. The population at the facility is cut by half and when they return from their 12 hours of hard labor, they just want to sleep.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,627 times
I don't think they should have tv anytime they want in prison, I don't know if they do, but if they do they shouldn't. Just a designated time slot for tv. Also, we need more emphasis on REFORM. I was talking to a prison guard not too long ago and she says it's just the same people back in over and over again, we need more job training in prison. You have to give people a reason to want to get out of the cycle. One other thing, don't inmates get free medical care in prison? So nobody's complaining about that, but people are mad that people that can't get healthcare want to pay taxes so they can get healthcare? Also, yes, there should be more working in prison. I don't really know how they work either, but forced meetings would be a good idea, I know they have meetings, but I don't know if they have to go, about how their crime affects themselves, whoever they committed a crime directly against, and society. Really show them what they do, you know? I mean people need to realize that robbing banks and stores and stuff has endless effects on everyone. Yes, and violent criminals need to be more isolated from nonviolent ones I agree. If we don't try to rehabilitate exactly what do you suggest? We can't just throw them back out without an ounce of effort to try to help them see their errors. Also, I know people probably do this, but there should be groups that come in and talk to the inmates and ask them how they are being treated.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you. Now we're getting somewhere.

As to what do we do? I don't pretend to have any knowledge of how to run a prison day to day. But a few general points seem clear. First we're locking up too many people. Second, the most violent offenders need to be isolated from the rest of the population. And third, it baffles me that there is ever freedom for prisoners to roam within the prison population. I don't know how subjecting oneself to that kind of risk would ever be considered a privilege. Again, I haven't lived it so maybe there are things that wouldn't occur to me, and maybe it would be very difficult to accomplish in reality, but it would seem that simply keeping them away from each other would solve a lot of problems.
But those bleeding hearts say that isolation is cruel and unusual punishment...
The rules of engagment make any kind of enforcement nearly impossible.
My cousin was attacked by 2 inmates. He pepper sprayed one and used his stick on the other. One was armed with a knife. Yet he was taken to task not for the stick but the pepper spray because some entered the criminals mouth. This is the life of the corrections officer.
Some complained that the guards treat inmates like scum. Well guess what. The majority are in fact scum.
In my prison if I was the imperial dictator:
There would be no nice toys like olympic gyms, HBO, or airconditioning.
In the cielings would be gas heads to gas the inmates when they got out of line. A good dose of tear gas would do them some good.
They would be housed in a 6x6 cell solo.
Chain gangs would be implemented.
They would be given an option work on the chain gang or stay in the cell.
Only release from the cell would be for meals and a bi-weekly shower. Maybe is they stink enough they won't be trying to hump each other.
Sopunds terrible but these are animals that walk upright. Nothing more nothing less.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,194,829 times
Ok answer couple things.Have a person just get out of prison.Would you rent them a place to live,would you give them a Job? Ok now why is it so hard to
rehabilitate them.Hey they did their time

hillman

Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Ok answer couple things.Have a person just get out of prison.Would you rent them a place to live,would you give them a Job? Ok now why is it so hard to
rehabilitate them.Hey they did their time

hillman
The answer is No to all the above. That is the price you pay for opting for a criminal life.
Once a thief?
Would you rent to a convicted rapist? What if your 16 yearold beautiful daughter lived with you and the apartment was in your converted garage?
Would you rent to a convicted pedophile? Your neighbor has young children.
Would you hire an arsonist?
I might hire someone who was convicted of a DUI or possesion.
Never a violent criminal.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,194,829 times
Quote:
The answer is No to all the above. That is the price you pay for opting for a criminal life.
Once a thief?
Would you rent to a convicted rapist? What if your 16 yearold beautiful daughter lived with you and the apartment was in your converted garage?
Would you rent to a convicted pedophile? Your neighbor has young children.
Would you hire an arsonist?
I might hire someone who was convicted of a DUI or possesion.
Never a violent criminal.
So your saying that nobody will change and they don't deserve another chance.Who are you to Judge,like I say they did their time that the state requierd of them.

So no don't give them the chance to be productive in socity and use Tax Payers money to house and feed them.Well then don't be bitching when you are doing this. Don't make no sence to me!

hillman

Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

I realize we have a lot of very violent, very dangerous criminals locked up, and I am saying we should give them royal treatment.
Should have read "I am not saying"

Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
But those bleeding hearts say that isolation is cruel and unusual punishment...
The rules of engagment make any kind of enforcement nearly impossible.
My cousin was attacked by 2 inmates. He pepper sprayed one and used his stick on the other. One was armed with a knife. Yet he was taken to task not for the stick but the pepper spray because some entered the criminals mouth. This is the life of the corrections officer.
Some complained that the guards treat inmates like scum. Well guess what. The majority are in fact scum.
In my prison if I was the imperial dictator:
There would be no nice toys like olympic gyms, HBO, or airconditioning.
In the cielings would be gas heads to gas the inmates when they got out of line. A good dose of tear gas would do them some good.
They would be housed in a 6x6 cell solo.
Chain gangs would be implemented.
They would be given an option work on the chain gang or stay in the cell.
Only release from the cell would be for meals and a bi-weekly shower. Maybe is they stink enough they won't be trying to hump each other.
Sopunds terrible but these are animals that walk upright. Nothing more nothing less.
Lol!

I don't really have a problem with anything you said, except maybe that I would try to set things up so that the gas heads weren't necessary.

And, trust me, I'm the last guy who would be quick to judge a prison guard harshly. I can't even imagine all of what they must suffer, but what I can imagine is enough to win my respect and sympathy. That is a job that I could not begin to do.

There is no question that it is every bit the hell hole that you say it is. And that is why, if I'm hypothetically a guy who is a peaceful and harmless minor offender or a guy wrongly convicted, I would want to be damn sure that that those other guys - the animals who deserve to be there - were in prison!! See what I mean? They should not be allowed to torture and terrorize at will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies