Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am all for market based solutions if they work. IF they don't, then you have to regulate. In a pure market place one company can gain a monopoly and drive out all competitors and increase the cost to consumers. This may be o.k. for non essential items, but it is not for health care.
Well that is exactly the argument against the public option. I don't think anyone is arguing against insurance regulation. I do not think 50 different regulators (the states) makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
This is what the article says:

Overhauling health-care system tops agenda at annual meeting of Canada's doctors
By Jennifer Graham (CP) – 3 days ago

His thoughts on the issue are already clear. Ouellet has been saying since his return that "a health-care revolution has passed us by," that it's possible to make wait lists disappear while maintaining universal coverage and "that competition should be welcomed, not feared."

In other words, Ouellet believes there could be a role for private health-care delivery within the public system.

I don't have any problem with that just as I favour a role for public healthcare within the private system here.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why the hell would you fight it? If it doesn't work for the US then this will prove it. If it's a total trainwreck they won't want to expand it and will need to try something else.
Yeah, that's a real smart tactic of totally winging it. Let's destroy what we have to come up with this science experiment overnight and if it blows up, we'll just try something else. How ignorant of a way to go about something so damn critical.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So hen the GOP """Wins""" Medicare and Social Security are dead
How so?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Which is why we are going to fight you in the towns halls of America and in the halls of Congress. But at least you have the balls to say what your true aim is, unlike the feckless President of this country and the morons running the House and Senate.

Anyone who mocked me in the other thread about my objection to the current Obama plan because of what the true intent of the Dems is simply needs to read KevK's post.
You don't need to worry about it because we will not evolve into single payer in my life, your life or even your children's lives. We may never evolve into single payer but a public private mix.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is what the article says:

Overhauling health-care system tops agenda at annual meeting of Canada's doctors
By Jennifer Graham (CP) – 3 days ago

His thoughts on the issue are already clear. Ouellet has been saying since his return that "a health-care revolution has passed us by," that it's possible to make wait lists disappear while maintaining universal coverage and "that competition should be welcomed, not feared."

In other words, Ouellet believes there could be a role for private health-care delivery within the public system.

I don't have any problem with that just as I favour a role for public healthcare within the private system here.
Nope the public option will beat the private option every time. All they have to do is fire up the printing press.

By the way the article indicates all is not well with the Canadian system contrary to your statement.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What compromise?

Oh yeah, you can bet they will try to rahm it down the Amercan people's throats.
Nice play on words wirh "rahm." [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Discussion of moderation is prohibited

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
I love how these courageous free-marketeers are all so fearful of even the tiniest public option. You'd think they'd be laughing all the way to the bank, knowing how easily the ingenuity and creativity of the market-driven private sector would make a waste- and fraud-laden public option managed by a bunch of bumbling bureaucrats look silly. But no...instead they cry like little babies at the very thought.

Oh, and by the way, there are more than 150 Republican amendments included in the HELP version of the health bill. All Democratic...what a farce the right-wing is...

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Anyone remember all those lefties on hear crowing about the demise of the republican party, giving advice to the republicans if they ever wanted to win again. At the time I said enjoy your victory, the republican paty is going to be just fine and Obama ,Pelosi and Reid will do half the work for them. You see history always repeats itself . A democrat President cannot possibly please the leftist in his party and get reelected....2010 will be here before we know it, by 2012 everyone that voted for hope and change will realize they got smoke and mirrors.

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well that is exactly the argument against the public option. I don't think anyone is arguing against insurance regulation. I do not think 50 different regulators (the states) makes sense.
Why does it work with car insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies