Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 526 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Madison my entire life and sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else so that I could discover Madison. It is awesome, within 30 minutes of ski/snowboard places. It is very liberal. Just take a look at all the Scott Walker stuff going on now. Pretty much every high school in Madison has had a walk out for it. Ian's pizza stopped delivering any pizza except to protesters. Pretty much every kid in my highschool class is a democrat. We have a great university. The amazing thing about Madison is that it has a great feel. Everyone is so spirited. Our college sports kick ass. We have two lakes for recreation. It is beautiful and our capitol is a replica of the National one. There are lots of street performers, thousands of local restraunts. Numerous farmer markets (The east side is more liberal than the west). All the hobos have names and everyone knows the ones near campus. The union (A restraunt, hang out sorta place) is beautiful. We have some of the most bike paths in the country and have been rated one of the top cities to live in for mutiple catagories such a men's health and best place to raise a family. The public schools are good. Wisconsin has the 2nd highest SAT/ACT scores in the country and the UW is rated 35th university in the U.S. We are very diverse and we have a tight knit community. Plus lots of little festivals for music and food such as the Orton park one, Willy Street and we also have Fruit Fest which is a pro gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender festival.

But if you are completely turned off to Wisconsin (Which you shouldn't be because it is awesome) then Boulder, Colorado is also pretty cool and Austin, Texas is similar but Madison has a great population with maybe roughly 220,000 residents in the actual city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
WOW - I can't believe Austin didn't make this list.
What's even crazieir is that Dallas made the list and Austin didin't.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
That's because Dallas is a hell of a lot more liberal and multicultural than Austin. Austin has more of a football worshiping alcoholic backwoods culture: which I would not call liberal. You'd have to be drunk and stoned out of your mind to actually believe the public relations and advertising hype of Austin, Texas.

Dallas, Addison, Richardson, and Frisco are great because everywhere you go you will see ethnic minorities, blacks, Jews, gays, and whites intermingling in harmony. Shakespeare in the park, WorldFest, Mardi Gras Parade, New Years Eve at Victory Park, Half Price Books, Deep Ellum, Fair Park, Exposition Park, Dragon Street, and Cedar Springs are all extremely far left liberal bastions: welcoming of everyone! North Texas gives you a great feeling when you are shopping at one of their myriad malls because people don't give you dirty looks or give their mob of friends conspiratorial eye glances when you walk past. You can easily weave around the few cantankerous bigots, racists, or psychos that you'd find in any city. As an individual you don't feel pressured or harassed in most cases.

In liberal Austin, Texas people in general walk around like they know something you don't know: this gives the impression that they are extremely superior and that I am inferior. On more than a few social occasions they look at each other with creepy conspiratorial eye glances and snicker under their breath instead of engaging in straight-forward conversations. The rare exception is at Half Price Books or Whole Foods where you will see stereotypical "liberal" people working: but most of the people there are white Anglo. For such a liberal city you will see a severe lack of ethnic diversity there and almost everywhere you go unless you are at a Wal-Mart or Target. The churches are not liberal and non-fundamentalist like Cathedral of Hope is in Dallas, Texas. Cathedral of Hope in Dallas, Texas makes an effort to accept everybody into their church: Buddhists, Jews, atheists, agnostics, Catholics, young, old, etc. I don't particularly attend church but I do enjoy going during advent. Due to the large democratic presence in Austin, Texas you not only will get extreme cultural traditionalism (football, UT, 6th street, hill country fascinations, etc.) but you will also get the worst side of the democratic party: the big brother meddlesome mentality and doublespeak (made famous by Bill Clinton's administration). People are trained to snitch, spy, and keep an eye on their neighbors: people are profiled: and it really makes living there extremely unbearable. Do a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) on yourself and your concerns and you will find the truth that they do indeed "keep an eye" on targeted people: which is anything but liberal.

I can easily think of at least 10 other reasons why Dallas is exponentially more liberal (true meaning of liberal) than Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What's even crazieir is that Dallas made the list and Austin didin't.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-28-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 AM

Stop your lies. I spent one miserable year in Austin, Texas and I've never been treated like garbage by so many redneck backwater jerks in my life when I was there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QiIiiV6RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
List is wrong. I moved to Austin for its liberal slant. I enjoy intelligent people. People call my home state of oregon "LIBERAL" I wish that was true. Only if your living in Portland or Eugene. Otherwise its full of gun happy, tobacco spitten rednecks.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Cease with the lies. You have said nothing of how Austin, Texas is liberal (and we all know people who vote Democrat are hypocrites). I went to college there and lived there for an entire year: I've never encountered so much culture shock, harassment, and ostracism in my life. What people consider liberal there is: football, pubs, small house parties, Alamo Drafthouse, bats under a bridge, hill country, going to class at UT Austin, smoking pot, and 6th street. Are you kidding me????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceltheshell View Post
Austin, Texas is similar but Madison has a great population with maybe roughly 220,000 residents in the actual city.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-28-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM

You consider "free speech zones," informant systems, and indoctrination "liberal"? Because that is what most university cities consist of. Just listen to Alex Jones: he is from Austin, Texas (a university city) and you can tell by the way he talks that he has literally lost it due to the culture there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Any city that has a University, running water, paved roads, and electricity is bound to be liberal.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-28-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies