Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:36 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Wow, I guess I should change political parties based on your assessment.
I didn't know that people that walk/bike, drink Starbucks, shop high end, and wear fashionable shoes were liberal. I am really enlightened and think I had better switch my political affiliation!
LOL! Spunky, you rock

I'd rep ya but it sayz I've gotta spread it around more first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Wow.

So now we are getting so stupid that people think material things within a city tells them if it is conservative or liberal?

Guess I have never looked at it that way before?

If that is the case then, are the liberals trying to say that if I am in a liberal town if there are tons of bars, no churches, McDonalds on every corner, people laying on the streets and food banks?

I have never in my life heard that you can tell what a town in made up of by looking at the buildings and type of businesses in those buildings.

Hey, Lancaster... I come through your town all the time, would that be conservative or liveral then? I dont see a Wal Mart so it must be conservative then right ?????

Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
John ******** is one person. He didn't run around the country covering up statues in museums.

John ******** is only one conservative. A friend of mine who is in HR for a big company had to talk with an employee who was assigned to work in a place that had a nude painting hanging on the wall. The employee was threatening to sue so they had to remove the painting.

Do you live in an area with a lot of fundamental Christians? I'm starting to think that you must not because a lot of these ideas seem foreign to you. There are still some branches of religion in this country that don't believe in social dancing, playing cards, drinking alcohol, etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Do you live in an area with a lot of fundamental Christians? I'm starting to think that you must not because a lot of these ideas seem foreign to you. There are still some branches of religion in this country that don't believe in social dancing, playing cards, drinking alcohol, etc.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. In my area, the schools weren't allowed to host dances until the 1990s. Isn't that backwards? Dancing was illegal in many of the counties surrounding Fort Smith. Today dancing is allowed but there is a very strict dress and music code and dirty dancing is not allowed. In one town, the First Baptist Church actually oversees school dances and keeps them from "crossing the line".

Old 12-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oh yeah, that reminds me. In my area, the schools weren't allowed to host dances until the 1990s. Isn't that backwards? Dancing was illegal in many of the counties surrounding Fort Smith. Today dancing is allowed but there is a very strict dress and music code and dirty dancing is not allowed. In one town, the First Baptist Church actually oversees school dances and keeps them from "crossing the line".
A friend of mine taught elementary school in an area with a lot of "fundies." Some weren't allowed to go on field trips or participate in anything "fun" because it was against their religion. This created a lot of hurdles for her since she was teaching either first or second graders and one of the ways you get them to remember things is by making learning fun.

Kansas, which was the state that decided evolution should not be taught, also has some of the funkiest liquor laws.

There is a book out there, "What's the Matter With Kansas?" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What&#3...with_Kansas%3F) that explores the two halves of conservatism: Social and economic.

From the Wikipedia article: "The economic conservatives want business tax cuts and deregulation. The social conservatives want bans on gay marriage and abortion. Frank says that since the coalition formed in the late 1960s, the coalition has been "fantastically rewarding" for the economic conservatives. The policies of the republicans in power have been exclusively economic, but the coalition has caused the social conservatives to be worse off, due to these very economic policies. That, plus the fact that the social issues that this faction pushes never go anywhere after the election. According to Frank, "abortion is never outlawed, school prayer never returns, the culture industry is never forced to clean up its act."

I think the big question in picking a conservative city is: What kind of conservative are you?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Wow.

So now we are getting so stupid that people think material things within a city tells them if it is conservative or liberal?

Guess I have never looked at it that way before?

If that is the case then, are the liberals trying to say that if I am in a liberal town if there are tons of bars, no churches, McDonalds on every corner, people laying on the streets and food banks?

I have never in my life heard that you can tell what a town in made up of by looking at the buildings and type of businesses in those buildings.

Hey, Lancaster... I come through your town all the time, would that be conservative or liveral then? I dont see a Wal Mart so it must be conservative then right ?????

My town trends conservative but we just had a major road improvement with lots of sidewalks added. And eventhough it is a smaller town we have an amazing rails to trails path over 30 miles long lake to lake.

I guess I'd better alert the mayor. We also have Starbucks and Barnies!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
My town trends conservative but we just had a major road improvement with lots of sidewalks added. And eventhough it is a smaller town we have an amazing rails to trails path over 30 miles long lake to lake.

I guess I'd better alert the mayor. We also have Starbucks and Barnies!
It sounds like your town is only socially conservative. They must be fiscally liberal -- the kind of town that would vote GWB all the tax increases he needs to keep pursuing that War in Iraq and the War on Terror and whatever else. They probably want raises for the military too (takes $$$) and more healthcare for veterans (takes $$$) and all kinds of silly stuff like that.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
A reminder - discussion is about most conservative cities.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What's so strict? Stores are open until 9:00. Some stores are open on Sunday. You can purchase wine over the internet...
You buy liquor from state owned liquor stores. You buy beer from a beer distributor. I haven't lived in PA for a whle, but I never heard of any stores open on Sunday where one can purchase alcohol.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
John ******** is only one conservative. A friend of mine who is in HR for a big company had to talk with an employee who was assigned to work in a place that had a nude painting hanging on the wall. The employee was threatening to sue so they had to remove the painting.

I live in Boulder County, Colorado. There is a lot of overt hostility to religion in Boulder proper. Colorado Springs, a bare 75 miles to the south of us, is the home of "Focus on the Family", and lots of fundies. Remember the shootings of just a few weeks ago? How quickly we forget, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies