Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post

I am not your slave.
I agree, and a child is not yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

And if you think women are rushing out to selectively abort pregnancies at 20 weeks, you're outta your mind.

There is a huge difference
How do you reason that me pointing out 'only one percent are done here' means 'I think women are rushing out to do this'? I simply said 1% of the '45 million abortions that have been done since 1973' is quite a number

Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
well, technically and scientifically, a embryo/fetus IS your slave. or rather, a parasite. you're feeding it, giving it air, and taking care of ALL of its needs. you are in FULL control of the embryo/fetus b/c it would die w/o you. you're making all the decisions for it, it has no choices and no rights in this matter anymore than another parasite in your body does

Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
again, how is it ok to abort here and not there based on what it looks like to you? here is one at 20 weeks, although only 1% are done here, considering the number of abortions, that is a lot of babies
20 weeks' gestation is often close to the time of 'quickening', or when fetal movements are detectable by the mother.

Abortion was widely advertised and performed up to that point in this country beginning in colonial times.

Quote:
Through the efforts primarily of physicians, the American Medical Association, and legislators, most abortions in the US had been outlawed by 1900.
Abortion - History of Abortion in the United States

Quote:
The Medical Establishment
The strongest force behind the drive to criminalize abortion was the attempt by doctors to establish for themselves exclusive rights to practice medicine. They wanted to prevent "untrained" practitioners, including midwives, apothecaries, and homeopaths, from competing with them for patients and for patient fees.

The best way to accomplish their goal was to eliminate one of the principle procedures that kept these competitors in business. Rather than openly admitting to such motivations, the newly formed American Medical Association (AMA) argued that abortion was both immoral and dangerous. By 1910 all but one state had criminalized abortion except where necessary, in a doctor's judgment, to save the woman's life. In this way, legal abortion was successfully transformed into a "physicians-only" practice.
National Abortion Federation: History of Abortion

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
As determined and defined by Roe v. Wade, it most certainly is.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you're feeding it, giving it air, and taking care of ALL of its needs. you are in FULL control of the embryo/fetus b/c it would die w/o you. you're making all the decisions for it, it has no choices and no rights in this matter anymore than another parasite in your body does
The only difference you noted was oxygen. If your baby is born and needs you to supply it with a ventilator that would be the exact same reasoning. The baby still relies on you, or someone, to take responsibility and care for it. I am saying he/she has the right to live.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The only difference you noted was oxygen. If your baby is born and needs you to supply it with a ventilator that would be the exact same reasoning. The baby still relies on you, or someone, to take responsibility and care for it. I am saying he/she has the right to live.
The United States Supreme Court disagrees with your assertion.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Yes, I am well aware of this. However, everyone knows the country is pretty much divided in half on this issue, and laws change, just as this one did. Do I think it will change back soon? Probably not. That is why I think these ultrasound pictures are a good idea, it would at least help decrease the number. The United States Supreme Court does not govern my morals... there are a lot of things we are allowed by the state to do that we shouldn't.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I did not know you were in your 20s, but insisting that you would not have any more kids I took that to mean you were older, my apologies, you might change your mind. Just like if women were given ultra-sound pictures they might change theirs
I was 20 when I had my first abortion.

I was 22 and 28 when I had my children.

I am now 44 and unwilling to have either another child or a hysterectomy.

No surgeon will perform a hysterectomy without a valid medical indication, such as menometrorrhagia, severe fibroid disease, carcinoma, etc.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
To women that have had an abortion, would you have another?
At my age and in my current circumstances, I don't think it likely that I would ever need to make such a choice again. But, if I were to find myself pregnant again, yes I would choose abortion for several reasons - not the least of which would be the desire not to leave a child as an orphan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies