Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Katiania that statement is totally inaccurate. As soon one sets foot into the ER we treat them. If they have a stubbed toe or can't breathe. PERIOD.
It is indeed legal to turn someone away for a "stubbed toe", however everyone in this country knows that hospitals will treat these individuals out of fear of being sued.

I've seen people being treated in emergency rooms for such things as poinson ivy, or sunburns.. My god, doesnt anyone go to family doctors anymore? I know, the answer is now, because that would mean you have to pay for it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So your friend was not denied care, he was obviously examined and deemed to be healing naturally, had it not been they obviously would have taken care of the wound or they wouldnt have examined him to begin with..

He wasn't examined. When I took him to the admissions desk, the nurse asked for his insurance. I explained that he didn't have any. She asked what my relation was to him, I responded he was a friend. She then asked what the problem was, I turned his wrist over, she looked, said, it looks to be clotting, take him home, clean them up and bandage them. And she suggested that if the bleeding resumed, to take him to a different hospital in a different county, because none of the hospitals in the county in which I resided had any facilities for suicidal patients.

As for being misinformed, there is a gulf between what the law mandates and what happens in reality, iluvmycountry.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM

884 posts, read 716,179 times
And btw DC at the Ridge, quite a few hospitals in the USA have set up urgent care sections of the ER to help keep the flow moving. The urgent care areas treat the stubbed toes colds stomach aches etc etc.......

Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
It is indeed legal to turn someone away for a "stubbed toe", however everyone in this country knows that hospitals will treat these individuals out of fear of being sued.

I've seen people being treated in emergency rooms for such things as poinson ivy, or sunburns.. My god, doesnt anyone go to family doctors anymore? I know, the answer is now, because that would mean you have to pay for it..
I say this one more time for some of you.. IF A HOSPITAL TAKES MEDICARE THEY CANNOT REFUSE TX TO ANYONE FOR ANYTHING PERIOD.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He wasn't examined. When I took him to the admissions desk, the nurse asked for his insurance. I explained that he didn't have any. She asked what my relation was to him, I responded he was a friend. She then asked what the problem was, I turned his wrist over, she looked, said, it looks to be clotting, take him home, clean them up and bandage them. And she suggested that if the bleeding resumed, to take him to a different hospital in a different county, because none of the hospitals in the county in which I resided had any facilities for suicidal patients.

As for being misinformed, there is a gulf between what the law mandates and what happens in reality, iluvmycountry.
So he was not denied care, he just did not ask to be seen by a doctor... What the "registration clerk" did was save your friend a hospital bill.

No hospitals in your county have facilities for suicidal patients? What are you wasting your time here for complaining about a lack of national care.. Your time would be so much better lobbying where the responsibility lies, your state and/or county...

Must suck to have friends that wish to kill themself and when its unsuccessful you blame the country for your friends lack of being responsible for having insurance. Lets not even get to the fact that the clerk sounds like they were correct, your friend didnt die..

Wait, you didnt offer to pay his tab at the hospital, but you expect me to? With friends like you, we better get national care, it will be a very lonely country soon..

Last edited by pghquest; 08-20-2009 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

DC, Im just curious, what county were you in, and what hospital was that? I don't know you but this story has B.S. written all over it.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I say this one more time for some of you.. IF A HOSPITAL TAKES MEDICARE THEY CANNOT REFUSE TX TO ANYONE FOR ANYTHING PERIOD.
Thats incorrect, title 42 of the us code states that hospitals have to only provide a screening for those in the emergency room. Once the individual is deemed to require emergency treatment they are required to treat that individual. If the patient is not needing emergency care, then they are not required to treat the individual.

If the hospital do not take governmental payments they have an obligation to stabilize a patient and then transfer them to a facility which does take governmental payments. (at this time, only a handful of locations still do not take governmental payment, such as the Shriners Hospital)

US CODE: Title 42,1395dd. Examination and treatment for emergency medical conditions and women in labor

Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thats incorrect, title 42 of the us code states that hospitals have to only provide a screening for those in the emergency room. Once the individual is deemed to require emergency treatment they are required to treat that individual. If the patient is not needing emergency care, then they are not required to treat the individual.

If the hospital do not take governmental payments they have an obligation to stabilize a patient and then transfer them to a facility which does take governmental payments. (at this time, only a handful of locations still do not take governmental payment, such as the Shriners Hospital)

US CODE: Title 42,1395dd. Examination and treatment for emergency medical conditions and women in labor
I see you are hell bent on trying to be correct. I tell you after 25 years as an RN trauma please don't try to put up codes, I live in the real world. Why are you so hell bent on trying to correct me? If a patient comes to the ER we treat or "stabilize" them. same f-in thing dude. Notice the part about if hosp doesnt take gvt payments they have to stabilize them then send them probably to county hosp. My point is that if a hospital take medicare ie: gvt payments then they must treat or stabilize the patient PERIOD. If said hosp doesnt say have a cath lab or 24 nerosurgen then they will be moved to hosp with better facilities.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 PM

pghquest, I cannot count the number of times I would have turned people away in triage when they were for example "drug seeking" or I knew based on medical practice that they were NOT in any life or death situation, and I had people waiting in the lobby who were truly sick. BUT, I cannot turn them away, they MUST be seen in the ER.. Now it doesnt mean we have to give them anything or even DO anything, my point is we cannot turn anyone away, if our hospital accepts medicare.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I see you are hell bent on trying to be correct. I tell you after 25 years as an RN trauma please don't try to put up codes, I live in the real world. Why are you so hell bent on trying to correct me? If a patient comes to the ER we treat or "stabilize" them. same f-in thing dude. Notice the part about if hosp doesnt take gvt payments they have to stabilize them then send them probably to county hosp. My point is that if a hospital take medicare ie: gvt payments then they must treat or stabilize the patient PERIOD. If said hosp doesnt say have a cath lab or 24 nerosurgen then they will be moved to hosp with better facilities.
haha, dont give you the legal codes which say your wrong.. Thats just funny...

Care to backup your wrong information from your 25 years as an RN nurse by sighting the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies