Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,422,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
You - and the majority of posters here - need to acquaint yerselves with Scottish jurisprudence before commenting.
OH, I know they have a different take on things. It doesn't make me feel any better about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
OH, I know they have a different take on things. It doesn't make me feel any better about it.
Nice try.

I strongly recommend that you - and plenty of others here - familiarise yourselves with Scottish Jurisprudence before making any further (uninformed) comment.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about.
With respect.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Nice try.

I strongly recommend that you - and plenty of others here - familiarise yourselves with Scottish Jurisprudence before making any further (uninformed) comment.

With respect.
I don't need to be informed on their ways, what I have seen I don't care for. All I am referring to is letting this man go because he has cancer by American standards is outrageous. I know they don't have the same laws that we do.

Spare me the holier then thou attitude, I do in fact have a degree in British history and literature so I have some idea of the difference in laws. Thats NOT the point.

I believe that this action on the part of Scotland is bound to have some long lasting diplomatic effects considering most of the victims of this mans bomb were American.

I may be a Democrat but I still believe that we have to be hard on terrorists rather then all the hand holding. I also believe he deserves to get Cancer and I hope he dies an excruciating death rather then having his hand held in a British prison.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I don't need to be informed on their ways, what I have seen I don't care for.
I suggest that you do need to inform yourself before commenting.

It's clear that you haven't got a clue about the case.

Quote:
All I am referring to is letting this man go because he has cancer by American standards is outrageous. I know they don't have the same laws that we do.
American standards?

yes, we're all very aware of just how poor those standards are.

British and Irish law thankfully is set at a somewhat higher standard.

Quote:

Spare me the holier then thou attitude, I do in fact have a degree in British history and literature so I have some idea of the difference in laws. Thats NOT the point.
Clearly not.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I suggest that you do need to inform yourself before commenting.

It's clear that you haven't got a clue about the case.

American standards?

yes, we're all very aware of just how poor those standards are.

British and Irish law thankfully is set at a somewhat higher standard.

Clearly not.
Kind of sounds like you side with the bomber. Your holier then thou attitude is kind of hilarious all things considered. I guess he should have the world handed to him on a platter.

I think he should have been shot at dawn for what he did. Its a difference in culture.
Do you really want to talk about the UK prison system that is overrun with AIDS? Be serious. I hope this guy got it several times from his fellow prisoners, at least then his incarceration would have been some punishment.

Give up, I'm an American first and foremost and I beleive in REAL punishment for crimes like this, not the hand holding they get in the UK. Check into your countries history, they used to be some of the most brutal people out there, now they have gone the other way to not being hard enough on crime.

AND I do hold a degree from the University of Texas at Arlington with some concentration in Law. That doesn't mean I think its a good thing.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,906,288 times
Quote:
Nice try.

With respect.
with respect, this just isn't a scottish jurisprudence issue. there is an investigation forming into england's involvement in the release and there is pressure is growing on Brown to make a public pronouncement on how much his ministers were involved behind the scenes. The central defence of British ministers – that Megrahi's release was entirely a matter for the Scottish justice secretary, Kenny MacAskill – was called into question yesterday when it emerged that the Foreign Office had intervened.

In a letter to MacAskill, the Foreign Office minister Ivan Lewis said that Britain saw no legal impediment to acceding to a Libyan request to return Megrahi under the terms of an Anglo-Libyan prisoner transfer agreement.

"I hope on this basis you will now feel able to consider the Libyan action in accordance with the provisions of the prisoner transfer agreement," Lewis wrote.

Britain says it was right for the Foreign Office to advise the Scottish authorities on the prisoner agreement negotiated by the British government. Libya requested Megrahi's transfer on 6 May, seven days after the agreement was ratified by Britain in the wake of a warning by Jack Straw, the British justice secretary, that a delay would jeopardise Britain's relations with Libya. In the end MacAskill decided not to transfer Megrahi under the UK/Libya agreement; he was instead freed on compassionate grounds under existing Scottish law. (guardian)

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Kind of sounds like you side with the bomber. Your holier then thou attitude is kind of hilarious all things considered. I guess he should have the world handed to him on a platter.
You really ought to familiarise yourself with the evidence presented in the case, the transcripts of testimony given, Scottish legal precedence and Scottish equity.

If you did familiarise yourself with all aspects of the case - you wouldn't have tried to have posted the above quote.

Quote:

I think he should have been shot at dawn for what he did. Its a difference in culture.

Thats what i would expect for your kind.

Thankfully we operate to higher standards in this part of the world.

Quote:
Do you really want to talk about the UK prison system that is overrun with AIDS? Be serious. I hope this guy got it several times from his fellow prisoners, at least then his incarceration would have been some punishment.
Aids epidemic in British prisons?
The Aids level in British prisons, would be at the same levels as other prisons throughout the world, I would expect.
Sharing of needles being the most common way that Aids is spread in the prison population.

Quote:

Give up, I'm an American first and foremost and I beleive in REAL punishment for crimes like this,

I couldn't care less where you're from
You could be from timbuktu for all I care.

The law is the law.

But your nationality does explain your "eye for an eye" attitude.

Quote:

Give up, I'm an American first and foremost and I beleive in REAL punishment for crimes like this, not the hand holding they get in the UK. Check into your countries history, they used to be some of the most brutal people out there, now they have gone the other way to not being hard enough on crime.

AND I do hold a degree from the University of Texas at Arlington with some concentration in Law. That doesn't mean I think its a good thing.
Couldn't care less what you say, your qualifications are.

You need to look at the case in it's entirely and you need to gain an understanding of Scottish jurisprudence.

Not that this will interest you of course, but there was a lot of controversy about this case, the way evidence presented, the way in which the case was taken, the identity of the culprits, the source and location of the explosives used, the way in which the explosives were denotated and the way in which the terrorists were financied and supported.
A lot of the evidence suggests that Al Megrahi should not have been convicted of the bombing.

But then you're not familiar enough with the case for us to have an adult-like discussion about the case and Scottish jurisprudence

Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,529 times
Quote:
This was done in Scotland, not England. There is a difference.
Now we know that it was a BRITISH decision to free the murderer.
Gordon Brown in new storm over freed Lockerbie bomber | UK news | The Observer

Oil money trumps morality, as usual. Meanwhile, Obama has not lodged any formal protest with the British government. What a wimp.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
with respect, this just isn't a scottish jurisprudence issue. there is an investigation forming into england's involvement in the release and there is pressure is growing on Brown to make a public pronouncement on how much his ministers were involved behind the scenes. The central defence of British ministers – that Megrahi's release was entirely a matter for the Scottish justice secretary, Kenny MacAskill – was called into question yesterday when it emerged that the Foreign Office had intervened.

In a letter to MacAskill, the Foreign Office minister Ivan Lewis said that Britain saw no legal impediment to acceding to a Libyan request to return Megrahi under the terms of an Anglo-Libyan prisoner transfer agreement.

"I hope on this basis you will now feel able to consider the Libyan action in accordance with the provisions of the prisoner transfer agreement," Lewis wrote.

Britain says it was right for the Foreign Office to advise the Scottish authorities on the prisoner agreement negotiated by the British government. Libya requested Megrahi's transfer on 6 May, seven days after the agreement was ratified by Britain in the wake of a warning by Jack Straw, the British justice secretary, that a delay would jeopardise Britain's relations with Libya. In the end MacAskill decided not to transfer Megrahi under the UK/Libya agreement; he was instead freed on compassionate grounds under existing Scottish law. (guardian)
Under Scottish jurisprudence and, separately, indeed under British jurisprudence, the Scottish authorities can allow the release of a prisoner on compassionate grounds.
That right is reserved with both sets of statutes under the law as of now.

Al Megrahi was convicted in the Lockerbie case.
There were serious misgivings about the case both before, during and after the trial.

And let me add, one thing which a lot of you Americans appear to be unaware of.

The Lockerbie case was under appeal.
The appeal was due to be heard in the next few weeks and it is believed that the defence found evidence which not only showed that Megrahi was innocent but that there was collusion by the British/US authorities to build a case against the Libyan when both goverments knew the nationality/identity of the real culprits.

Instead of having to endure this exposure, it was deemed better to release Megrahi and to save the blushes of the British/US authorities.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,906,288 times
Quote:
Under Scottish jurisprudence and, separately, indeed under British jurisprudence, the Scottish authorities can allow the release of a prisoner on compassionate grounds.
That right is reserved with both sets of statutes under the law as of now.

Al Megrahi was convicted in the Lockerbie case.
There were serious misgivings about the case both before, during and after the trial.

And let me add, one thing which a lot of you Americans appear to be unaware of.

The Lockerbie case was under appeal.
The appeal was due to be heard in the next few weeks and it is believed that the defence found evidence which not only showed that Megrahi was innocent but that there was collusion by the British/US authorities to build a case against the Libyan when both goverments knew the nationality/identity of the real culprits.

Instead of having to endure this exposure, it was deemed better to release Megrahi and to save the blushes of the British/US authorities.
i beg to disagree. megrahi was convicted under the law and pieces of a shirt that he purchased were wrapped around the explosive device when found.

the decision to release was made at the G20 summit and here is a quote from gaddafi:

Tonight the shadow foreign secretary, William Hague, redoubled calls for the government to release official records of conversations about the release, as Gaddafi increased the embarrassment by publicly thanking "my friend Brown, his government, the Queen of Britain, Elizabeth, and Prince Andrew who all contributed to encouraging the Scottish government to take this historic and courageous decision".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies