Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,827,778 times

Advertisements

I have to agree wityh your observations. Indeed the hippies became what they were protesting against and in a higher degree. What a shame so many great ideals fell idle, and a generation sat quiet when their right to vote was stolen. They barely raised an eyebrow when a war was begun. Nothing was said whent he media was being controlled in order to keep the public docile.

Where has the desire to do the right thing gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,091,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If this is true, where are they today? They certainly speak very quietly. Most of the liberals I see are people under 30.
Well Kev, There are still a few us old timers out here who STILL believe in the ideals we held when we were young. We are still out here volunteering our time trying to help others, still trying to live an informed and gentle life, still working to try to hold back the flood of greed that has swept through this country undoing much that we tried to accomplish. We're still out here but we are getting old and we need a LOT more help from you youngsters. Don't "go along to get along" while they try to make you ashamed of your better instincts. Stand up for what is right and don't let them tell you that kindness, generosity, fairness, justice, community, working together for the good of all, are somehow bad things. Reclaim the word LIBERAL. It is a word that stands for those who fought for civil rights, women's rights, the end to an unjust war, and helping those less fortunate. It is a proud word. Claim it and be proud of it.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,380,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One thing that also needs to be brought up is the Iran Hostage crisis.
American Experience | Jimmy Carter | People & Events
I remember the hostage crisis, Night Line, Ollie North and the Iran-contra affair.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,614,836 times
Quote:
I like them! I have all their CDs. I am going to see U2 soon too. I am not totally stuck in the 60s!
I've seen U2 3 times -- first time right after they hit it big in the US. They played my college campus' May Day celebration in 1983. I was pushed up against the stage and Bono was thisclose...totally amazing. The other two tours where the Joshua Tree tour, and finally the tour supporting Achtung Baby in '92. I am SOOOO overdue to see them.

Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,614,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I remember the hostage crisis, Night Line, Ollie North and the Iran-contra affair.
Ollie North, Fawn Hall and a shredder.....

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 PM

32 posts, read 11,529 times
i was a hippy

Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,531,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well Kev, There are still a few us old timers out here who STILL believe in the ideals we held when we were young. We are still out here volunteering our time trying to help others, still trying to live an informed and gentle life, still working to try to hold back the flood of greed that has swept through this country undoing much that we tried to accomplish. We're still out here but we are getting old and we need a LOT more help from you youngsters. Don't "go along to get along" while they try to make you ashamed of your better instincts. Stand up for what is right and don't let them tell you that kindness, generosity, fairness, justice, community, working together for the good of all, are somehow bad things. Reclaim the word LIBERAL. It is a word that stands for those who fought for civil rights, women's rights, the end to an unjust war, and helping those less fortunate. It is a proud word. Claim it and be proud of it.
That was sweet.....seriously, that was a sweet ass message. I tried to rep you but I cant, dammit!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,195,668 times
Quote:
If this is true, where are they today? They certainly speak very quietly. Most of the liberals I see are people under 30.
I don't know why that is; I'm 46, my husband is 48 - both of us have always considered ourselves to be "liberal." To us, "liberal" is not a dirty word. I don't know how old you are, but perhaps you don't hang around those that are 30+, because if you did, you would find a lot of ex-Bush voters (including some teachers at our kids Catholic parochial school who are in their late 50's). My husband's co-workers (and their spouses) are all in their late 50's and early 60's - they have always voted Democrat and are also "liberals".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies