Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
(so much for the claim that the DOW wouldn't hold up above 8,000 that some posters made).

And -

NASDAQ back above 2,000
S&P back above 1,000

Housing sales up to the highest point in 2 years (and with the biggest monthly increase on record).

Things are looking up. The economy is on the mend.

Ken

Awesome! Now we can stop with the bailouts and stimulus scams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Has anybody told balford that just because that there is a small spike in the market, that there's no need for a new thread? Jeez, I just remember earlier this week all kinds of people whining about posting every time the corrupt, speculated market made a move.
Just responding to all the multiple Obamabashing threads that show up on every conceivable topic - no matter how silly or stupid.

Ken

Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

The bailouts are part of the reason WHY the markets are doing so well. Without those we'd be in a situation that makes the current recession look like prosperity.
The stimulus will help prevent a double dip recession.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-21-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Just responding to all the multiple Obamabashing threads that show up on every conceivable topic - no matter how silly or stupid.

Ken
I do hear you on that

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So....first time home buyers are buying affodable houses. Is that a problem?

Mmm, not so sure it's a lot of first time buyers. Here in SE MI houses are going for less than half of what they were going for five years ago. I know a cashier that just purchased a house for $3K. You can get nice three bedroom houses in the Detroit suburbs for $30K all day long. My boss paid a half million for his house about seven years ago. Today it's worth less than $200K. Lots of people here are simply going through the foreclosure process and saving money in the year and a half it takes to get them out to pay cash for another house. If you owe $100K on a house that's worth $40K, how do you stay in that house when eighteen monthly payments is half the going price of a similar house and more than enough to pay for a fixer-upper? This is what happens when the government gets involved with the private sector. Fannie and the CRA started out as worthy undertakings, but the end result is a financial disaster.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Huh? If they keep going up at the rate they are climbing, the US taxpayer, who bought AIG for a song, is going to make a bundle on the deal.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
My money's on Pug.....
When the market crosses the 10,000 point psychological barrier, the recession will recede.... Probably end of September.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Odd that a left winger is bragging about people with money making money on investments.

I thought you left wingers did not like people making money???

I have never saw a poor person invest in the stock market so I wonder what your bragging about on this issue.

Those darn rich people and corporations are making money and you actually like it????

All of a sudden you find a bright shining light under the very bleak picture of Obama and run it to death but you know you still do not like rich people, people who are successful, people who have money to invest and those bad dirty corporations.

Maybe some of those people can gain back the millions they have lost since January now?

Dont smile to long, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer while the middle class gets riddled with foreclosures, bankruptcies, massive job loses and you like it?

Here I thought the left wing mobsters did not like people getting richer.

Change of heart there Lordy? Or just a typical left wing double standard to find some little bright spot under the dim skies under Obama?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Odd that a left winger is bragging about people with money making money on investments.

I have never saw a poor person invest in the stock market so I wonder what your bragging about on this issue.

Those darn rich people and corporations are making money and you actually like it????

All of a sudden you find a bright shining light under the very bleak picture of Obama and run it to death but you know you still do not like rich people, people who are successful, people who have money to invest and those bad dirty corporations.

Maybe some of those people can gain back the millions they have lost since January now?

Dont smile to long, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer while the middle class gets riddled with foreclosures, bankruptcies, massive job loses and you like it?

Change of heart there Lordy? Or just a typical left wing double standard to find some little bright spot under the dim skies under Obama?
My income is up slightly now that I'm serving regularly on a Death Panel. Just the other day, I granted a six month hospital stay to an illegal alien, and then had his elderly mother killed over a mild case of dermatitis. He tipped me a hundred bucks.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Well, that just goes to show how poorly you "think". LOL

First of all, I'm not a Leftwinger - I'm a Left-leaning moderate. You remember those? The kind of folks who used to have some respect for the GOP before it was taken over by ignorant barbarians like Palin and Rush? The kind of folks who actually voted for Reagan and had respect for (even when we disagreed with) intelligent Conservatives like William F. Buckley? The kind of folks who simply grew tired of a GOP platform that revolves around personal attacks on their opponents (but has nothing else of substance)? Remember those?

That's ME. I was one of them. I was a proud Ronald Reagan voter. Sadly for the GOP those days are long gone. I simply grew sick of the endless personal attacks on Bill Clinton and the $30 MILLION dollars that was spent investigating the fact that in final analysis all he did wrong was get a bl*w job and try and hide from his wife. What a waste of money!

So, you know NOTHING about me - and people who vote like me, and there are plenty of "poor" middle class people like me who are heavily invested in the stock market with our little 401K's and our company provided pension plans - and YES we DO like making money and I'm THRILLED my 401K has recovered so well the last 5 months or so under Obama after getting the cr*p beat out of it the last year and half of GWs reign.

And just so you know, I have nothing against rich people making money (even LOTS of money) - I have rich people in my very own family. As long as they make their money FAIRLY and HONESTLY and without abusing or taking advantage of people who are less well off than them - I say more power to them.

So, maybe you shouldn't "think" so much since it doesn't seem to be helping your draw logical or accurate conclusions about much.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies