Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Don't forget the tax revenue too! I don't think too many pimps file tax returns.
I'm pretty sure if we had been taxing the victimless vices in the America, not only would we not be in a recession, but we may have paid off the national debt and possibly own half of China. Instead its the other way around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
I'm pretty sure if we had been taxing the victimless vices in the America, not only would we not be in a recession, but we may have paid off the national debt and possibly own half of China. Instead its the other way around

I am still waiting for sports betting in NJ. I think that alone could retire the national debt. I must say it is pretty weird that we will get legalized gay marriage before legalized sports betting. Is betting that far out of the mainstream? I would be willing to bet (pun intended) that there are more bettors (legal and illegal) in the US than gays.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I can't believe our federal government still has a "zero tolerance" policy on drug use. I'm hoping that individual states (like California) continue the push to legalize marijuana.
you want to follow MEXICO???? makes absolutely no sense. they aren't exactly a country i would like for us to mold ourselves after.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
I am still waiting for sports betting in NJ. I think that alone could retire the national debt. I must say it is pretty weird that we will get legalized gay marriage before legalized sports betting. Is betting that far out of the mainstream? I would be willing to bet (pun intended) that there are more bettors (legal and illegal) in the US than gays.
People push for legislation that has the greatest impact on their lives. It's not really a matter of how many people are doing it. Betting is not at all outside of the mainstream, but I don't think the fact that it's illegal is having a great impact on those who participate in it.

On the other hand, marriage brings with it many benefits - legal, financial, and emotional.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
People push for legislation that has the greatest impact on their lives. It's not really a matter of how many people are doing it. Betting is not at all outside of the mainstream, but I don't think the fact that it's illegal is having a great impact on those who participate in it.

On the other hand, marriage brings with it many benefits, legal and financial.

Good point. It still should be legalized if only for the tax revenue it can bring in.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
you want to follow MEXICO???? makes absolutely no sense. they aren't exactly a country i would like for us to mold ourselves after.
Why does it make no sense? Do you think that anything out of Mexico must be bad?

I don't look at it as us "following" Mexico. I think of it as an issue of freedom and liberty. In a country that prides itself on freedom, individuals should have a right to experiment with drugs without fear of the government imprisoning them.

If Mexico doesn't work for you, then consider Germany and The Netherlands, where the drug laws are much more lenient than what they are in the U.S.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Good point. It still should be legalized if only for the tax revenue it can bring in.
the absolute only thing i agree with barney frank on is that online gambling should be legalized in the U.S.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
the absolute only thing i agree with barney frank on is that online gambling should be legalized in the U.S.

I do not understand why sports betting isn't legal in Atlantic City. You can bet on horses, and any other game their but not sports. Why?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,559 times
Quote:
What I think is more shocking is that pot was legalized before betting. Man people's vision of that plant has been so heavily influenced by the war on drugs and basically lies told to us about how bad it was for us. I thought that was something America would never budge on. And to be honest... I think Las Vegas and Atlantic City are the ones that haven't let sports betting move to other states. Seems like anything that makes a lot of money has lobbyists in DC so... /conspiracytheory But thats exactly the same reason that drugs are illegal, big tobacco and big alcohol pay for those PSA type things against drugs because they stand to lose out if everything was legal. Thats proven fact tho, pretty weird yeah?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Why does it make no sense? Do you think that anything out of Mexico must be bad?

I don't look at it as us "following" Mexico. I think of it as an issue of freedom and liberty. In a country that prides itself on freedom, individuals should have a right to experiment with drugs without fear of the government imprisoning them.

If Mexico doesn't work for you, then consider Germany and The Netherlands, where the drug laws are much more lenient than what they are in the U.S.
i'm not so much against legalizing marijuana as i am the other drugs mentioned. you cannot tell me that a small amount of meth isn't enough to get someone addicted and ruin their life.....same as heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies