Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ok If there is a public plan it will sqeeze out private plans sine the government is way more powerfu than any private business. Imagine if one business could haul another one before it with subpeonia power and grill them. Also the government has unlimited resources. The public option could run in the red forever a private plan cannot do that. A public plan is the first step towards single payer.

We have a free society because of limited government intrusion into tour lives the government taking over 16% of the economy and perhaps the single most important aspect of our lives changes that dynamic.

Private companies have near monopolies in many states because of government rules that make selling insurance across state lines so burdensome as to make it impossible for smaller companies to compete. The government is creating these monoplies and strangling competition.
So forcing insurance companies to operate better is a bad thing? The government has unlimited resources? WOW that's a newsflash!! The only thing a public option is the first step toward is the possibility of insurance for 45 million people.

Government wont be stopping you from anything..Please tell me what the government will be taking from you?

You know how you prevent nationwide monopolies? Nationwide Competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Excatly..

If medicaire is bankrupt in 2017, then everything will be...I don't need a link to know that. It's already been established that without reform, it and our economy will be in trouble. The UHC option will ony cover those that want it not everybody..The covering of illegals lie has been thouroughly debunked.
Illegals already receive free healthcare in our emergency rooms ...

Old 08-23-2009, 11:46 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
History does not back you up. Before Social Security, we had the moral tragedy of millions of seniors on the doorstep and inside the house of abject poverty in their last years. We were either all going to pay for their care, or allow them to wallow in poverty and sickness.

Do you really think that Americans, who were racking up more debt than savings up until this year, are going to voluntarily invest in their retirement in significant enough numbers to prevent history from repeating itself? What about these times, or human nature for that matter, differs from before we had Social Security? Why would history not repeat itself?

No the history of SS is it was intended to take care of people in their last years of life. The average life expectancy was about 68 when it was instituted.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
So forcing insurance companies to operate better is a bad thing? The government has unlimited resources? WOW that's a newsflash!! The only thing a public option is the first step toward is the possibility of insurance for 45 million people.

Government wont be stopping you from anything..Please tell me what the government will be taking from you?

You know how you prevent nationwide monopolies? Nationwide Competition.

I agree nationwide competition is the answer to monoplolies. Tell your pals in Congress, they prevent insurance from being sold nationwide.

The government can't force competition they can stop it.

The government can take away choice by stifiling competition because it can spend privte insurance into oblivion they can pruint money.

There are not 45 million uninsured.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM

229 posts, read 1,180,538 times
It's not hypocritical at all for conservatives who are on gov ran programs to be against universal healthcare. They've been forced to pay into those programs so they have a right to take from them. Just because they've been forced to pay before doesnt mean they want to pay more in the future, or think others should be saddled with more public debt.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Illegals already receive free healthcare in our emergency rooms ...
So what's the problem? UHC wont change what's already occuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
It's not hypocritical at all for conservatives who are on gov ran programs to be against universal healthcare. They've been forced to pay into those programs so they have a right to take from them. Just because they've been forced to pay before doesnt mean they want to pay more in the future, or think others should be saddled with more public debt.
You're assuming that these conservatives have paid into the system the same way people assume that those who may benefit from UHC haven't or wont pay into the system.

My question still stands...Where was all this oppostion prior to 4 months ago? Why weren't these folks flooding townhalls requesting that medicaire and social security be disbanded? Why aren't they buring their medicaire cards? Where were the teaparty medicaire protests?

The funny part of your argument is that it's excatly what conservatives claim to hate. Entitlement. As Americans, these old folks should be entitled to healthcare but they don't wont anybody else to have that same entitlement. Hypocrisy.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If you really want a dialogue I think I can explain it to you but if you want to call names don't bother responding. Many of the folks on Medicare and SS don't have a choice. They have been taxed most of thier lives to support these programs which prohibited many of them from setting up substantial alternate investment. If you ask younger folks if they would prefer to forego social security and invest their own money I believe the vast majority would elect that option.

Don't forget Medicare is on the verge of collapse so I wouldn't call it a resounding success just yet.
I realize there's a little known rule that you can opt out of SS and Medicare. But how many Seniors know about the rule? I just learned about it a few months ago. Without opting out, they are forced to take Medicare coverage and that's why private insurance companies are very profitable.

Insurers refuse to have the costliest group of Americans as customers. That's the obese, smokers, and senior citizens. Medicare is the best friend private insurance ever had. You see the losses for Medicare and what happens when an "insurance company" gets only the crap customers. Even with Medicare running at a 2% overhead v 30% for private insurance companies, Medicare is, as you say, on the verge of collapse."

Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM

229 posts, read 1,180,538 times
Quote:
So what's the problem? UHC wont change what's already occuring.

You're assuming that these conservatives have paid into the system the same way people assume that those who may benefit from UHC haven't or wont pay into the system.

My question still stands...Where was all this oppostion prior to 4 months ago? Why weren't these folks flooding townhalls requesting that medicaire and social security be disbanded? Why aren't they buring their medicaire cards? Where were the teaparty medicaire protests?

The funny part of your argument is that it's excatly what conservatives claim to hate. Entitlement. As Americans, these old folks should be entitled to healthcare but they don't wont anybody else to have that same entitlement. Hypocrisy.
Some conservatives, libertarians like myself, have been requesting the disbandment of welfare programs. I voted for Ron Paul in Nov because he is a true conservative and believed in the constitution. I did not vote for Bush and I did not vote for McCain.

I wish people who like to take broad swipes at political groups would understand theres a difference in them.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
I'm trying to reconcile how conservatives who benefit from medicaire, social security and Verterans Health Care are fighting against a public healthcare option. How much of a hyprocrit does one have to be to be outraged against the excact things they are utilizing? When asked at one townhall, none of these people said they would stop using these programs but they're against public healthcare for all. Is this just stupidity? Is it just doing what you're told by conservative media? Is it just a deep hatred for anything Obama? These folks step all over there own "principles" by using social programs while berating them. I watched a clip of how Reagan spoke about how Medicaire and Social Security would basically bring an end to our society but he was completely wrong. These programs have been here for decades and conservatives have reaped the benefits just as much as anybody else BUT once again, they'll claim that a UHC option will bring an end to our society. The hypocrisy is just amazing.

It goes back way beyond this:

Business interests began to benefit with the first government social program:

Genocide against Native Americans in order to steal their land.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I realize there's a little known rule that you can opt out of SS and Medicare. But how many Seniors know about the rule? I just learned about it a few months ago. Without opting out, they are forced to take Medicare coverage and that's why private insurance companies are very profitable.

Insurers refuse to have the costliest group of Americans as customers. That's the obese, smokers, and senior citizens. Medicare is the best friend private insurance ever had. You see the losses for Medicare and what happens when an "insurance company" gets only the crap customers. Even with Medicare running at a 2% overhead v 30% for private insurance companies, Medicare is, as you say, on the verge of collapse."
Hmm..So in fact, those most likely to utilize medicaire wouldn't be able to obtain private insurance..Interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
Some conservatives, libertarians like myself, have been requesting the disbandment of welfare programs. I voted for Ron Paul in Nov because he is a true conservative and believed in the constitution. I did not vote for Bush and I did not vote for McCain.

I wish people who like to take broad swipes at political groups would understand theres a difference in them.
I and the rest of the country totally missed your disbandment movement. A vote for Ron Paul does not absolve you of being conservative.

I didn't take a broad political swipe at anything. I said conservative..If you want to add the "libertarian" (I'm above the knuckledraggers) distinction then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies