Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times

Advertisements

Wow. A phantom thread on a phantom topic.

There is no "liberal mother." It's a made-up story, meant to incite his stupid listeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
the Michael Savage show? Antredd congrats cause you must be his only black listener!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I perfectly understand your point, and I am all for altruism. But there seems to be this idea that guilt is supposed to be some how imposed on people who happen to be white and priviledged so that standards are lowered for the sake of having equality for all--especially if you are liberal.

In my opinion, that's a slap on every minority's face if the only way we can achieve equality is by lowering standards to make up for the achievement gap. All that I am saying as a black man who grew up in the inner city, Compton CA to be exact, where my education compared to my fellow classmates in college was anything but standard, I had to learn how to shape up or ship out of that university that opened the doors for me probably at the expense of a more qualified person. Now with that said, that university investment in me obviously paid off, but again my motivation and determination to succeed as well as having a praying family helped me graduate out of the university of California's system.
Also, coming out of the UC, they consider things such as family income. My parents made between 85k-110k (if my mom was woking and my dad worked summers). Not rich, but not economically disadvantaged. I got well over a 4.0 GPA and 80-90 percentile SAT. I didn't get into UCLA...meanwhile, a person I met got into UCLA with a high 3.0ish GPA and 60-70 percentile SAT. Their parents made 30-40k a year. I had more options, more opportunities. I still got into good schools. Oh and BTW, I'm half black. It's not a racial thing concerning MANY schools, but rather a life experience issue. A middle income suburban kid that since birth was expected to go to college (the natural progression of life) has more opportunities than a person whose family was not as fortunate. The suburban middle class kid has more given, thus, they are missing out on certain things.

Education is not the sum of numbers, it's also about your experiences in life. Hence why people with 4.9 GPAs and 1600 SATs (old SAT scores) are not accepted into Harvard at times...they lack certain experiences.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Also, coming out of the UC, they consider things such as family income. My parents made between 85k-110k (if my mom was woking and my dad worked summers). Not rich, but not economically disadvantaged. I got well over a 4.0 GPA and 80-90 percentile SAT. I didn't get into UCLA...meanwhile, a person I met got into UCLA with a high 3.0ish GPA and 60-70 percentile SAT. Their parents made 30-40k a year. I had more options, more opportunities. I still got into good schools. Oh and BTW, I'm half black. It's not a racial thing concerning MANY schools, but rather a life experience issue. A middle income suburban kid that since birth was expected to go to college (the natural progression of life) has more opportunities than a person whose family was not as fortunate. The suburban middle class kid has more given, thus, they are missing out on certain things.

Education is not the sum of numbers, it's also about your experiences in life. Hence why people with 4.9 GPAs and 1600 SATs (old SAT scores) are not accepted into Harvard at times...they lack certain experiences.
Just curious - how does one get OVER a 4.0 GPA??? Did they switch to a different scale?

And, my cousin, who is white, got into UCLA with a 3.5 GPA and a 1300 on her SAT. Her parents were millionaires. She also got into UC Berkeley. I don't think the UC schools reject someone on the basis of "too much money"; although I'm sure they do make room for many who don't have money.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Unless college applicants are nothing more than the sum of their SAT scores this isn't an issue. Colleges choose students based on many criteria, one of which can be having a well rounded or diverse incoming freshman class. The "less qualified minority student" might have something to offer that the one with the higher test scores did not. That's how admissions work.
Exactly; I have a friend who works in the admissions department at Stetson and she said grades are really just part of the criteria. They also look at extracurricular activities – your child may have a higher GPA than another but that person may have been on student council, the homecoming committee, in the French Club and worked part-time at Wendy’s for the past two years. Would you think it unfair that a student with a lower GPA and test scores was chosen over your child?

What were the factors that made the minority student less qualified anyway? Why do people think race is the only determinant of every situation? I received a full scholarship because I can dance; I was probably a B minus student all through school so I’m sure there were plenty of more qualified students whose parents were paying for their education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
So because ONE liberal mother thinks this ALL of them think this?

So if your black mom and my black mom agree on a political topic, ALL black mothers think the same?
Of course it does. You know 90% of all black people think the same; weren't you around during the elections

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a pretty stupid question, people don't get into their first choice college all the time, for any number of reason. There would never be a situation where someone didn't get into college because a less qualified minority "took their spot" because they never had a spot. And if they are well qualified they would get in somewhere just as good so no "opportunity" was lost.

Because the question is bogus the answer doesn't even matter.
You hold that thought because if college tuition is made free (and wasn't that an Obama promise), just like adding 45 million to healthcare, college will have to be rationed for some.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You hold that thought because if college tuition is made free (and wasn't that an Obama promise), just like adding 45 million to healthcare, college will have to be rationed for some.
I was wondering when his name was going to show up....4 pages. Not bad.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

if college tuition is made free (and wasn't that an Obama promise)
No. You should be ashamed for not paying better attention during the campaign.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issue...yFactSheet.pdf

Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
1) People dont always speak the truth. Sometimes they are more concerned with how they appear to others.
2) If she does actually mean what she says..IMO she is a fool.
3) It is insulting to black people to be treated as if they need a handicap or head start in the race. I think most black people (at least the ones I know) are far more interested in being placed on a even playing field than to be given some kind of advantage due to past injustice. Black people I know are accomplished and dont see themselves as "victims"

Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
This whole mind set about giving spots to less qualified people just because they are a minority has done nothing but harm our country. We should give the person most qualified for any position, be it college, jobs, whatever that spot. They will make the most of it, since they have the best skills for it.
That might be questionable. I once worked for an engineer, an inventive one at that, while attending university part time. My grades weren't always the best but I was able to excel in support of that engineer's goals. He commented to me that 'he would rather employ a 2 to 3 gpa student who could work with creative measures to reach a goal than to hire a 3.5 to 4 point gpa who couldn't think outside a box.' I was certainly less qualified than some but my qualities best fit the opportunity.

The mother should have responded that it would depend on the school and/or the 'lesser qualities' of the supposed other applicant, rather than surrender the future of her child to an unknown quantity. Thanks, mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies