Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times

Advertisements

Thanks...I see now where the OP posted that it came from that show. No, no surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,420,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm curious...where and when did this take place? Was it a conversation with someone that you had in real life?
No, I was listening to the Michael Savage show, and he was ranting about a liberal's mother thinking and logic in regard to her child being denied admission into a university over a less qualified minority. I think his point was how irrational the mother was being.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
No, I was listening to the Michael Savage show, and he was ranting about a liberal's mother thinking and logic in regard to her child being denied admission into a university over a less qualified minority. I think his point was how irrational the mother was being.
Well, I think my point is how irrational Mr. Savage was being. I don't know that there is a way to tell whether another student was less "qualified". Perhaps part of the admissions process included an essay and the minority student wrote an exceptionable one.

I don't think that the general public has access to the admissions applications that students submit to colleges and universities, so I'm failing to see how any judgment call can be made about the qualifications of the minority student.

Perhaps this was a theoretical question? Again, I really don't see how the mother could know that the minority student was less qualified. Did it mention anything about that on the show?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,420,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, I think my point is how irrational Mr. Savage was being. I don't know that there is a way to tell whether another student was less "qualified". Perhaps part of the admissions process included an essay and the minority student wrote an exceptionable one.

I don't think that the general public has access to the admissions applications that students submit to colleges and universities, so I'm failing to see how any judgment call can be made about the qualifications of the minority student.

Perhaps this was a theoretical question? Again, I really don't see how the mother could know that the minority student was less qualified. Did it mention anything about that on the show?
From what I remember, the mother was asked a hypothetical question regarding a less qualified minority child being admitted into a university over her qualified child.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
So because ONE liberal mother thinks this ALL of them think this?

So if your black mom and my black mom agree on a political topic, ALL black mothers think the same?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
From what I remember, the mother was asked a hypothetical question regarding a less qualified minority child being admitted into a university over her qualified child.
Oh ok, thanks. I think that perhaps this was a baited question on the part of Mr. Savage. I wonder what the answer would have been from a "conservative mother".

Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
Sayin it and doing it are two different things really. look at the rich liberals and see if they aren't giving their children every advanatge their money will buy. Rethoric pure and simple while making sure that their are very costly school;s to send their children to.They are even aginst the voucher system to let these children go to a better school because of thier politcal support of poorer performing public schools but not for their children.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think it is a perfectly reasonable answer. Clearly this mother knows that her child will be fine wherever he goes to school. She also may consider that this is the ONLY opportunity that this 'less-qualified' student has to attend college, while her child may have been accepted at several other 'good' schools.
I guess I don't understand why true altruism is a bad thing nowadays.
I mean, doesn't the Christian right want us to be more like Jesus?
I certainly can think of no better example of Christian behavior than what this woman has demonstrated in her answer.
I think this is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on C-D, and that is saying a lot.

This whole mind set about giving spots to less qualified people just because they are a minority has done nothing but harm our country. We should give the person most qualified for any position, be it college, jobs, whatever that spot. They will make the most of it, since they have the best skills for it.

Altruism has it's place in society, but this claim that Jesus would want us to deny our children the chance to succeed in order to allow someone else child to have that chance is just silly. We are to help those who can't help themselves, for example homeless folks, elderly, disabled. Kids who for whatever reason didn't do good in high school doesn't quite fall into that category.

All Christians are taught, and should understand that we are to take care of our family first, before taking care of others. We understand the Jesus helps those who help themselves first.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post

I think this is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on C-D, and that is saying a lot.

This whole mind set about giving spots to less qualified people just because they are a minority has done nothing but harm our country. We should give the person most qualified for any position, be it college, jobs, whatever that spot. They will make the most of it, since they have the best skills for it.

Altruism has it's place in society, but this claim that Jesus would want us to deny our children the chance to succeed in order to allow someone else child to have that chance is just silly. We are to help those who can't help themselves, for example homeless folks, elderly, disabled. Kids who for whatever reason didn't do good in high school doesn't quite fall into that category.

All Christians are taught, and should understand that we are to take care of our family first, before taking care of others. We understand the Jesus helps those who help themselves first.
Again with the twisting and contortions.

One's own child does not have to be deprived of the chance to succeed, just because that child's mother doesn't find it unfair that a "less qualified" minority child got a spot at a specific university before her own child. It takes a gigantic leap of logic to get from point A to your point Z.

And has already been pointed out, the hypothetical didn't even address in what way the other candidate was "less qualified", nor do we know if he or she had other accomplishments outside of strict academia that might have made him or her a better candidate.

The question was, "is it fair". The mother said, "sure, it's fair."

How you get from that, to somehow her mother wants to deprive her own daughter a chance to succeed, is a mystery.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:

A conservative thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be treated differently in various situations in life from the majority of other people because of the color of his skin if that majority claimed it wasn't true and denied that such treatment ever happened anymore? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that majority of people, unfortunately, have a skin color in common, and thus it would be fair for that majority of people to treat those with a different skin color differently and then pretend that they never do such a thing anymore because there are more of them and they can, unfortunately, spread such opinions in order to thwart attempts others make to level various "playing fields".

Is this madness or not? I am a white male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this conservative thinking mother give, basically, a Rush Limbaugh induced, neo-con, brain-dead, bigoted answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a majority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.

Let me ask you this - do you think it's "fair" that I can't call you the n-word on this forum or else I'd get booted for it, but you can call me a honky and not get booted for it? Are you for some fairness and equality when it comes to racial epithets?

I'm curious as to your answer, but from my perspective, the reason for the disparity between a black person's deeply offended reaction to the n-word and a white person's couldn't-care-less reaction to being called a "honky" or "cracker" or "white boy" is a good illustration of why affirmative action is still in place and is still leveling the playing field. Maybe when the day comes that every reaction to the n-word is equal to the reactions to "honky" or "white boy" then we can start eliminating some of the affirmative action that lets "less qualified" minorities into universities.

The fact is that the minority student, in many, if not most, cases is at a disadvantage, because he IS denied things like jobs and other opportunities. And the fact is that there IS still rampant racism today, no matter how much Rush Limpaugh and Sean insHannity tell you there isn't.

You know how I know racism is rampant still today? Because I'm white. I get to hear all the white people who use the n-word do so behind your backs.

And Michael WIENER (that's his real last name, not "savage", because he is a real, live WEINER) is a miscreant, whining, fat piece of garbage; listening to his show will only make you dumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies