Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I read today that Harry Reid is in a bit of trouble with 2010 Nevada voters:

2010 SENATE CAMPAIGN: Polls show potential GOP challengers would beat Harry Reid - News - ReviewJournal.com

My question has to do with Harry Reid, Senator from Nevada, and Harry Reid, Senate Majority Leader. Do you think Harry Reid would be in trouble if he was just some Joe Schmo Senator from Nevada or would he be in just as much trouble but the media wouldn't care enough to report on it? Do you think Harry Reid's problems in Nevada are Nevada-issue specific? Or, will Nevada voters take it out on him because he's the Senate Majority Leader?

Compare Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. In your opinion, which one is most impacted by the White House's problematic issues? Why?

If Nancy Pelosi's home state voters are less diverse politically-speaking than Harry Reid's, and I don't know if that's true or not because she just has a district and he has a state, should the Democrat strategy be to make her the "fall guy" for failures knowing she's still likely to be re-elected? Is she currently out in front as the ugly face (figuratively, not literally) of the Democrat Party. It seems like everytime she opens her mouth, lately, she says something controversial. Is that by Democrat Party design (to see what the public will accept or reject) to take the heat off Reid and Obama, knowing of the three, she has the best shot of being re-elected no matter what she says or does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
A state will choose who is best for them, whether they are dem or republican. If Reid is doing a good job for the state, they will re-elect him. Heck, I actually vote for a democratic senator in our state when he comes up for re-election. He is a dick, but represents the state well.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
In my view, it's shaping up to be 1994 redux. American's like checks and balances. Period. Straight-ticket legislation makes the constituency very nervous, and when you factor in over-reaching boundaries, which this Democratic-led Congress is doing, you have a situation that is ripe for correcting. Americans are watching very closely, you can bet on that.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

If Nancy Pelosi's home state voters are less diverse politically-speaking than Harry Reid's, and I don't know if that's true or not because she just has a district and he has a state, should the Democrat strategy be to make her the "fall guy" for failures knowing she's still likely to be re-elected?
California is very diverse politically. CA District 8 where Pelosi is from is San Francisco--she's in no danger of being ousted.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In my view, it's shaping up to be 1994 redux.
In the world of politics, 6 months is like 6 years. All Obama and the Democrats need is an improved economy and they will maintain their majority in both houses.

The GOP is sorely mistaken if they thing the American people will be dissuaded against Obama just because of health care.

Sending Minions to disrupt town hall meetings doesnt make us think that most people are against health care--ultimately it only makes us think that the GOP is really against helping people.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In the world of politics, 6 months is like 6 years. All Obama and the Democrats need is an improved economy and they will maintain their majority in both houses.

The GOP is sorely mistaken if they thing the American people will be dissuaded against Obama just because of health care.

Sending Minions to disrupt town hall meetings doesnt make us think that most people are against health care--ultimately it only makes us think that the GOP is really against helping people.
LOL healthcare? That's your argument? I'd implore you to analyze more than just healthcare before assuming you understand the concerns of conservatives.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL healthcare? That's your argument? I'd implore you to analyze more than just healthcare before assuming you understand the concerns of conservatives.
These days, Conservatives and the GOP are two different things. By many accounts, I should be a republican--but I can't stomach their divisiveness.

At least with Democrats, I don't question their motives--misguided as they may be, their motives revovle around improving the lives of all Americans, not just a select few--which is how the GOP comes across. And I can't stand that.

Despite my opposition to abortion, gay marriage and big government--I'm much more comfortable casting my lot with the blue side.

And I bring up health care because that's the basket it seems the GOP has placed all its eggs. Just hope it doesnt end up on their faces instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies