U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,330,407 times

Advertisements

This complaint from the US Dept of Justice against AT&T could have far reaching ramifications for everybody. Basically the case is about employees who took voluntary buy outs to retire from the company. Many of them were offered up to 2 years of pay and 2 years of net credited service times for their pension pay outs. Thus if any employee had 28 years of service, he would get a full 30 years service credit for pension pay plus 2 years of actual pay which could add over $100,000 to the deal for higher paid employees.
Basically these folks TOOK the payouts and left the company. I guess some of them did not handle their money well and now want the right to be rehired at the company even though they took the voluntary severance package.
Is that really "age discrimination" per se? Yes, it probably does impact people over 50 mostly because few people under 50 have enough time with the company to be offered a buy out.
But, on the other hand, if the company if forced to rehire every employee that retires, they will never be able to hire "new blood" and younger people that you need to keep a technological based company in competition. The entire company will be made up of people over 50 in the near future. My feeling is that you took the money and left. The company should not be obligated to rehire you. What do you think?

Agency files age-discrimination suit against AT&T - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/scitech/2009/08/20/D9A6RPR80_us_at_t_lawsuit/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,468,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This complaint from the US Dept of Justice against AT&T could have far reaching ramifications for everybody. Basically the case is about employees who took voluntary buy outs to retire from the company. Many of them were offered up to 2 years of pay and 2 years of net credited service times for their pension pay outs. Thus if any employee had 28 years of service, he would get a full 30 years service credit for pension pay plus 2 years of actual pay which could add over $100,000 to the deal for higher paid employees.
Basically these folks TOOK the payouts and left the company. I guess some of them did not handle their money well and now want the right to be rehired at the company even though they took the voluntary severance package.
Is that really "age discrimination" per se? Yes, it probably does impact people over 50 mostly because few people under 50 have enough time with the company to be offered a buy out.
But, on the other hand, if the company if forced to rehire every employee that retires, they will never be able to hire "new blood" and younger people that you need to keep a technological based company in competition. The entire company will be made up of people over 50 in the near future. My feeling is that you took the money and left. The company should not be obligated to rehire you. What do you think?

Agency files age-discrimination suit against AT&T - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/scitech/2009/08/20/D9A6RPR80_us_at_t_lawsuit/ - broken link)
I agree . The company I work for has a policy of not rehiring anyone who quits or leaves the employ of the company for any reason. If AT&T has such a policy then all employees know about it. They took the buy out, they made their choice. Now live with it.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,937,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I agree . The company I work for has a policy of not rehiring anyone who quits or leaves the employ of the company for any reason. If AT&T has such a policy then all employees know about it. They took the buy out, they made their choice. Now live with it.
Agreed. People make choices....those choices have consequences. Trying to spare fully-autonomous adults from the results of their own voluntary actions is a large part of the 'mess' our society's in just now. Not the ENTIRE problem, but a big part of it.

You sign your name, you read the fine print, and you live with the consequences. Don't like the 'terms'? Then don't sign your name.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
You all need to be educated on what AT&T is doing. Some of these packages were voluntary and some involuntary. How would you like to be forced out with a package that told you that you could be rehired and then have the executive change his mind? Then be blacklisted by your name not to apply for jobs in the company and in any contracting house that does work for the company. All because of a package you either volunteered for or were forced out due to off shoring or outsourcing. Then find out that that matches 90% of the jobs in your field since AT&T is practically a monopoly in your state. Then see others with much less qualifications that you have get jobs. Age discrimination is when a group of people older than 40 are suffering being cut off from work and not be able to compete equally for a position than a younger person. Whether the intent was age discrimination or not does not matter. What matters is the action and AT&T is age discriminating by making it harder for a sample set of older people to compete for work. The fact that these people worked their before has nothing to do with the cost of tea in china. It is a different event now called competing for jobs and may the best person fairly win! AT&T can discriminate against purple shirts though the wearers of these shirts better not be a protected group statistically.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
Sorry, I really needed to comment. 1. No one is suggesting AT&T is "obligated" to rehire anyone. NOT to be re-hired solely on the basis of being a retiree is however discriminatory by pure definition. The waiting period for any type of re-hire was clearly stated as 6 months in the terms/conditions. This case involves a period of 9 years. It was not for permenant employment, it was for contract work. No benefits, no special considerations. It was for $32 an hour regardless of who worked. And ... if you actually took the time to read the ADEA ... an easy read ... it is actually covered. The situation is right there in the statutes ... unlawful. Can't get any more clear than that.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,830,879 times
well i dont knowthe answer but imo i think companies like yngr workers in large part because they can exploit them more , as in overwork them and feed them the line of the job market's "rough out there"

Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM

35,233 posts, read 32,187,063 times
Where I worked if you were rehired you had to pay back the severance.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM

35,233 posts, read 32,187,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
well i dont knowthe answer but imo i think companies like yngr workers in large part because they can exploit them more , as in overwork them and feed them the line of the job market's "rough out there"

If you are a business who do you hire. Someone making 45 bucks an hour or a worker for 18 an hour for the same job? Higher paid workers regularly get purged it's not just older workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies