Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,379,695 times

Advertisements

He should've repudiated this piece of work.

Think Progress » Comparing Obama to ‘Hitler,’ Grassley constituent says he’d ‘take a gun to Washington’ if crowd supported him.
"The president of the United States, that's who you should be concerned about. Because he's acting like a little Hitler," said Tom Eisenhower, a World War II veteran. "I'd take a gun to Washington if enough of you would go with me."

And from the same site:
"In a statement, Doug Pennington, the Assistant Director of Communications at the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said that "Senator Grassley should have heavily criticized that statement. He should have told Mr. Eisenhower that such barely veiled threats against the President are unpatriotic and repugnant to the American way of life." Pennington added that "It was a credit to the Senator's audience that they booed Mr. Eisenhower, but Senator Grassley also has a responsibility as an elected official to categorically denounce Mr. Eisenhower's statement and the sentiment behind it.""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,164,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
He should've repudiated this piece of work.
I agree but he should have done more than repudiate, he should have chastised the moron for saying what he did.....Grassly has a history of being an idiot however ....here's a CNN report on this story:

Republican Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley Allows WWII Vet To Verbally Threaten Obama With Gun

YouTube - Sen Grassley Allows WWII Vet To Verbally Threaten Obama With Gun

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,026,283 times
I love how people seem to think they alone are the voice of reason, and their violent overthrow of the government will somehow be better and different then what is there now that has been duly elected by the population.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 PM

974 posts, read 1,583,107 times
No offense to anyone here, but if this Hero of WWII wanted to take a **** on the white house lawn, he should be allowed. No where does it state that he wants to kill the president.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,254,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
No offense to anyone here, but if this Hero of WWII wanted to take a **** on the white house lawn, he should be allowed. No where does it state that he wants to kill the president.
I think you can infer his intent by the context of his statement. If he should take a gun to Washington and attempt to get anywhere near the president, his WWII hero status will mean absolutely nothing to the Secret Service. They will take him down by any means necessary, as is their job.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:02 PM

If he intends to kill the president, then the Secret Service is well within their right to use deadly force. I however think this gentleman was vocalizing his displeasure by selling "wolf tickets". As a WWII vet, he has earned the right to call it as he sees it in my honest opinion. The man served in the most deadly war to be waged on this earth and survived. In my opinion he has earned a little latitude.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,166,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I'm sorry but how did this idiot get elevated to hero status.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM

By serving and surviving in the deadliest war to ever face this earth. That is how. I did not say he was anyone's hero but my own. Anyone that served and survived that war is a hero in my book.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,194,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
I'm sorry but how did this idiot get elevated to hero status.

Most likely because right-wing pundits have done an effective job of disseminating propoganda thereby legitimizing possible violence (and death - if someone gets shot) as a "protest tool."

Can you imagine gun-toting protestors being allowed in ANY event that ANY president in the past has been at? Or gut-toting protestors in a heated debate with a crowd of innocent people? Now, all of a sudden, it's "cool" and "constitutional" to be armed and dangerous, and of course, insane.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Most likely because right-wing pundits have done an effective job of disseminating propoganda thereby legitimizing possible violence (and death - if someone gets shot) as a "protest tool."

Can you imagine gun-toting protestors being allowed in ANY event that ANY president in the past has been at? Or gut-toting protestors in a heated debate with a crowd of innocent people? Now, all of a sudden, it's "cool" and "constitutional" to be armed and dangerous, and of course, insane.

First of all, he did not have a weapon. Secondly, I believe I said threats against the president was wrong. I believe what this gentleman was saying is that if we wanted to rebuild the government he would be standing in line. I think he used "take my gun to washington" as a metaphor not an actual threat. I am neither lib nor conservative. I am however a proud american and I believe that our country has been going to H E double hockey sticks in a hand basket for quite some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies