Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine, formerly a primary care physician with a large multi state HMO, up and QUIT because he could no longer tolerate the fact that "the company" was preventing reasonable and necessary treatment! I wish they all had the courage to do that. . . .we need Health Care and Health Inusrance reform NOW!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Disgusting. I am for Health Care Reform. I just am not sure I want the government running it. Obviously the health insurance companies out there are corrupt both morally and financially. It is truly a scary thought to me.
This society is corrupt and extremely selfish without precedent. The health insurance companies are just a part of it.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
More assertions produced from your crystal ball. I'd prefer to argue facts, not what you dream up, thanks.
and your facts supporting that it will definitely create competition in the private sector are?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
and your facts supporting that it will definitely create competition in the private sector are?
Because it creates a separate mechanism for people to get health insurance. That's the definition of creating competition.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
If you truly want universal health care, you need to decriminalize the giving of care, decriminalize the purchase of medicine and medical machinery, expand medical training and education, and eliminate tort liability by "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back."

In short, get government entirely OUT of the health care system. And eliminate the need for "insurance" (usurers) from skimming a hefty profit from monies that should have gone to pay medical expenses.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have observed over the last 50 years or so that the government can be inept and occasionally incompetent but I have also observed that private profit driven companies can be inimical and adopt policies that actually hurt people. I would prefer my health insurance be handled by an occasionally inept organization then a group of thieves that break contracts because it pays them to do so.

When it comes to paying for health care, better the fools than the thieves.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If you truly want universal health care, you need to decriminalize the giving of care, decriminalize the purchase of medicine and medical machinery, expand medical training and education, and eliminate tort liability by "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back."

In short, get government entirely OUT of the health care system. And eliminate the need for "insurance" (usurers) from skimming a hefty profit from monies that should have gone to pay medical expenses.
Are you talking about ....

REGULATION?

Oh no, won't happen...repugs hate REGULATION....obviously prefer Insurance company Death Panels....

Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Maybe they all own a lot of insurance company stock and are merely serving their own interest or delusional enough to think a market solves all economic problems.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nobody said the government will be solely "running it", except those against it who are LYING.
The Gov would be solely be running it! The LEFT is lying!

Looks like Palin was right "End of Life" Provisions to Be Dropped From UHC Bill the thing that did not exist.

End-of-Life Provision Loses Favor

Tucked inside a sweeping House bill to overhaul the health system is a provision that would require Medicare to pay physicians to counsel patients once every five years.
But Dems say this:
Democratic lawmakers say no part of the House bill calls for rationing care. Physician counseling would be voluntary.

The Urban Institute, a nonpartisan research center, found that the government could save $90.8 billion over 10 years by better managing end-of-life care.

End-of-Life Provision Loses Favor - WSJ.com

Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Disgusting. I am for Health Care Reform. I just am not sure I want the government running it. Obviously the health insurance companies out there are corrupt both morally and financially. It is truly a scary thought to me.
So you try to get the state laws changed, and learn to pick and choose your healthcare plans better.

FWIW, HMOs were the product of the late Ted Kennedy.

Quote:
Kennedy Health Reform circa 1978;

"The current revival of the HMO movement should come as no surprise. HMOs have proven themselves again and again to be effective and efficient mechanisms for delivering health care of the highest quality. HMOs cut hospital utilization by an average of 20 to 25 percent compared to the fee-for-service sector. They cut the total cost of health care by anywhere from 10 to 30 percent. And they accomplish these savings without compromising the quality of care they provide their members.

In fact, many medical experts argue that the peer review built into group practice in the HMO setting promotes a quality of care superior to that found in the traditional health care system.... "In our enthusiasm to see HMOs proliferate throughout this country we should not lose sight of the need to guarantee the quality and integrity of the prepaid plans we create."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies