Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times

Advertisements

Over this past month, it has become a customary sight at town halls across the country to witness angry protesters mouthing right-wing talking points against health reform. But yesterday, in a town hall forum in Phoenix, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) was confronted by an attendee who voiced passionate anger in support of health reform:
Why don’t I have the health insurance you’ve got! Because I’m paying for it! And I’m paying for the President of the United States’ health insurance and Congress’ health insurance. Why don’t I have that! I’m your employer! I’m your employer! You work for me, and you’ve got a better health insurance plan than I’ve got!

Think Progress » Town Hall Attendee Confronts McCain: ‘Why Don’t I Have The Health Insurance You’ve Got!’

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
All that person has to do is get a job with the government and he can choose just like the rest of the federal workforce can choose.

All federal employees have the same choices.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Ok, this line both cracked me up and ticked me off. . .
Quote:
Last night, McCain told Fox News’ Sean Hannity that America just “is not ready” for quality “government-run health care.”
It reminded me of during the election, when people would ask me if I really thought the country was "ready for a black president," and I would ask them what they thought we still needed to do to prepare ourselves for such an event.

It was utterly absurd then, and it's utterly absurd now. We're not "ready" for government-run health care*? So what must we do to prepare for it, John? How do we "ready" ourselves to improve our access to more competitive options? How do we "ready" ourselves for the shock we'll surely go into when we are no longer denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition? Should we all "work out" in preparation? Take a First Aid class? Put on a pretty dress and do our hair and makeup? What? What will "ready" us, John?

Quit being absurd, ya moron.

*Even more absurd since that's not what's being proposed!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
All that person has to do is get a job with the government and he can choose just like the rest of the federal workforce can choose.

All federal employees have the same choices.
Easier said than done.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Should we all get government jobs? Are there several hundred million available?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Over this past month, it has become a customary sight at town halls across the country to witness angry protesters mouthing right-wing talking points against health reform. But yesterday, in a town hall forum in Phoenix, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) was confronted by an attendee who voiced passionate anger in support of health reform:
Why don’t I have the health insurance you’ve got! Because I’m paying for it! And I’m paying for the President of the United States’ health insurance and Congress’ health insurance. Why don’t I have that! I’m your employer! I’m your employer! You work for me, and you’ve got a better health insurance plan than I’ve got!

Think Progress » Town Hall Attendee Confronts McCain: ‘Why Don’t I Have The Health Insurance You’ve Got!’

But McCain had her thrown out of the meeting

Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Easier said than done.
Thats life.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
But McCain had her thrown out of the meeting

Has anyone been thrown out of a townhall meeting for OPPOSING healthcare? From what I have seen the Dems have NOT done this. Was McCain just McChicken??

Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Do you have the education you need to get a decent job.
Government work isn't welfare.
Aren't you guys against welfare?

Why not support single payer/UHC?

My BC/BS insurance paid $4 of my broken foot.
I pay most of my fees out of pocket, with government insurance.

If people aren't supporting UHC, they're supporting the status-quo.
If that's the case, please just shut up.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Amazing how you guys cherry pick which comments to post and which to ignore. Right after the guy asked why did McCain have better health care insurance, McCain responded, I'm trying to get you the same coverage.

Oh, can't include that, that would show that a Republican actually is trying to make things better! <GASP!!!>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies