Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are gays a threat to the public good?
Yes 36 12.16%
No 244 82.43%
Maybe 2 0.68%
Sometimes 12 4.05%
I don't know 2 0.68%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They need to tie in that some people target gay teenagers to bully and harass. That would make any normal person depressed and possibly suicidal if the harassment was on going.
yep, there's that, and if you were born into the wrong family you also have parental disapproval & sometimes even abuse to deal with.

if my parents (along with a fairly large percentage of society) told me i was evil and sinful because of something integral to who i am, and that the only way to be a good person was to suppress my sexuality, i'd be pretty depressed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Hello groar,

Did your parents tell you that? Did you try to reason and or argue with them?

I'm shocked parents actually become homicidal and criminal minded when their child admits to being gay. Somebody I know told me that when he came out of the closet to his "Christian mom" that she slapped him across the face. I was like WTH is wrong with parents these days. You don't assault somebody for coming out of the closet. That is belligerent and criminal behavior.

I'm probably viewing things totally wrong. I think we underestimate the amount of psychopathic deluded parents out there. We all have this halo effect on parents and assume parents are saints, angels, and wise-men rolled into one. In fact many parents are clueless and inept at the least in their parenting and relationship skills.

I also don't understand how anybody can admit to their christian or traditional minded parents that they are gay. That is asking for trouble if you ask me. Use common sense. I see that it must be difficult to want total acceptance from family but family regardless of gay or not will find ways to dislike you and treat you poorly if you are born into a sick psycho neurotic nutty family and there are handfuls of those families out there. It doesn't make sense that their families can be kind and loving one minute and then when one of the kids comes out of the closet, all hell breaks loose and it becomes doom and gloom from then on. I'm sensing some scapegoating, irresponsibility, and displacement when ever that occurs in families. The family has deeper issues that are far worse and far ingrained than somebody saying "Hey, I'm gay".

Thank goodness I was raised in a very neutral household. I've never heard anyone in my family say a single negative thing about gays. It was just never brought up nor was it an issue. I'm sure some of the conservatives in my family are against gay marriage but there isn't much they can do when a family members is gay or wants to get into a gay marriage. I think my family realize that. Family should put aside differences and cherish whatever goodness and common interests that they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

if my parents (along with a fairly large percentage of society) told me i was evil and sinful because of something integral to who i am, and that the only way to be a good person was to suppress my sexuality, i'd be pretty depressed too.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-07-2009 at 06:17 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
no, i was speaking hypothetically. my parents aren't like that, they're not homophobic in the slightest. and i'm also not gay! but that is what a lot of gay kids go through - that or they hide their sexuality from their families. i'm just saying that it's totally understandable that the rates of depression and suicide are high amoung gay teens.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Absolutely. I didn't know parents kicked their kids out of their house for being gay. That is so very stupid. Then again many parents are blatantly stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
no, i was speaking hypothetically. my parents aren't like that, they're not homophobic in the slightest. and i'm also not gay! but that is what a lot of gay kids go through - that or they hide their sexuality from their families. i'm just saying that it's totally understandable that the rates of depression and suicide are high amoung gay teens.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Two words: Midtown Atlanta. And City of Decatur for the Lesbians.

Those areas were messed up and alllll ghetto. Compare them to the rest of the City of Atlanta, and you'll see that "gays are a public threat" is an assinine statement. In the 70s and 80s, gay people moved in and gentrified the area and made it extremely nice. So much so, that one of our friends sold her house there and bought a 6000 sq fter in the suburbs.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM

If gays and lesbians were such a threat and caused harm then why is there this website that compiles a list of productive and creative gay and lesbian citizens? Does anybody remember that Versace and Elton John are gay? Alone Elton John has contributed to music and charities more than most any other human on the planet. Versace also contributed equivalently to fashion and its industry. Ellen has made thousands laugh with her silly style of comedy for decades. How is that harm? How is that a threat?

Famous Gay,Lesbian and Bisexual people

P.S. Aren't OJ Simpson, Ted Bundy, Mike Tyson, Hitler, Himmler, and Ronald Gene Simmons straight men? I believe the majority of people on death row are also straight.

The conservatives are really losing this argument and they are making themselves look really unreasonable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Two words: Midtown Atlanta. And City of Decatur for the Lesbians.

Those areas were messed up and alllll ghetto. Compare them to the rest of the City of Atlanta, and you'll see that "gays are a public threat" is an assinine statement. In the 70s and 80s, gay people moved in and gentrified the area and made it extremely nice. So much so, that one of our friends sold her house there and bought a 6000 sq fter in the suburbs.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-07-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoT View Post
Yes, people make a decision to be homosexual. They are not born homosexual. I'm sure that comment will get bashed and flamed just like the next one. I believe God created man in his image. God is not homosexual, therefore one cannot be born homosexual. Flame on...

Not commenting in these homosexual threads any more because one cannot make a statement that they believe in without getting trashed.
You are certainly allowed your opinion. And the rules of this thread won't allow me to honestly state my opinion of your's. To stand behind the God created man...statement is completely convenient. Some people are born with both the male and female genitalia. God's image? Well maybe it just is. The answer is beyond my scope of enlightenment. Some people are born otherwise totally disformed. God's image? Again...perhaps it is...There is some science that suggests serial killers have a different brain makeup. God's image? Why the heck not? Maybe God embodies every last possibility we could ever imagine, including homosexuals.

Perhaps you should go back to your safe place now...wherever that is...Safe from all those creepy, ungodly people and things. Unbelievable!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What torment did your gay friends go through?
When I ask my gay friends (I have long stopped doing this) when they truly knew they were gay they replied, without exception, when puberty hit and they began to be more interested in their same sex than the opposite one. Most knew they were a little different before that but the natural, physical sexual awakening seemed to be the definitive moment.

Yes. Who would choose such a thing?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM

638 posts, read 929,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The documentary was done in the 90's. Many gay's now as well as then engage in unprotected group sex as I am sure you well know. I am not trying to stereotype all gays as indulging in reckless behavior, but there is a segment of the gay population that are very reckless and for some reason that behavior is tolerated, and not criticized by the community at large. If it were not for that behavior we would not have the problem with HIV today.
And there is an equally large segment of the heterosexual community that engages in the same activities. Straight swingers clubs are ubiquitous throughout America. Behavior NOT sexual orientation influences risk in contracting STD's.

And please notice the fact that I used the word influences. One could go out and have sex with just one partner and contract a plethora of STD’s. STD’s are a fact of sexuality. The only way to affectively remove one’s self from the risk group is through abstention. America and it’s Puritanical self righteousness is still alive and well. We as a society praise sexuality with one breath and ostracize individuals that contract diseases associated with sexuality with the other. Stop the finger pointing and name calling. It’s 2009, time to grow up America!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM

638 posts, read 929,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoT View Post
Yes, people make a decision to be homosexual. They are not born homosexual. I'm sure that comment will get bashed and flamed just like the next one. I believe God created man in his image. God is not homosexual, therefore one cannot be born homosexual. Flame on...

Not commenting in these homosexual threads any more because one cannot make a statement that they believe in without getting trashed.

LOL so God has a sexuality? I think I missed something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies