Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times

Advertisements

I can understand people saying that she was not being racist by making that comment. But more precisely, you would have to say that she wasn't knowingly being racist when she spoke. That's the problem with racism - it's completely possible to be racist without intending to do so. Racism is built into our language, into our traditions, and into our institutions.

That's why we practice Affirmative Action - because there are racist barriers that exist even though nobody intends them.

The woman would do well to say that she didn't intend to say anything hurtful, but that she's learned a lesson about how racism affects us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
She really doesnt have to worry. After this current fiasco, I highly doubt if another black man will be elected president in any of our lifetimes.
Ha! You're funny!

Perhaps if you spend the next 7 years insisting that President Obama is a failure, you just might convince a couple of wingnuts who are already convinced of that.

Everyone else will be laughing at you.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
Exclamation Oh,REALLLY???

I just posted this in the other thread on this subject,but here ya go again.She DID know what that expression meant,after all!! No surprise to me,there are many,many rabid racists here in Kansas, trust me.

Quote:
The controversy surrounding U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins’ disclaiming of the phrase “great white hope” came less than a month after she had supported a resolution referencing that same phrase.

Jenkins, R-Kan., said Thursday she didn’t know “great white hope” had a negative connotation when she recently used the phrase to describe Republicans’ search for a new leader.

However, the freshman lawmaker supported a resolution that included that exact phrase last month ...
http://www.ottawaherald.com/story/082809jenkinsvote2009-08-28T20-18-07 (broken link)

Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post

I just posted this in the other thread on this subject,but here ya go again.She DID know what that expression meant,after all!! No surprise to me,there are many,many rabid racists here in Kansas, trust me.

OttawaHerald.com -- Community News. Community Connections.

I loathe these scumbags with the white hot intensity of a million burning suns. I'd like to b!***slap that hag back to the early 20th century and put her in a ring with Jack Johnson and watch him beat the cr@p out of her.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
She really doesnt have to worry. After this current fiasco, I highly doubt if another black man will be elected president in any of our lifetimes.
Wow! Now that's racist.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:10 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
There's your double standard.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
OMG Enough seriously

Its going to get to the point that when someone is called a racist they will ignore it and say yeah ok whatever because its used so often and for every little thing now

Calling your grandmother a typical white person isnt racist but let a white person say typical black man and its racist

I am so over this racist stuff it means nothing Way to go

Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post

The controversy surrounding U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins’ disclaiming of the phrase “great white hope” came less than a month after she had supported a resolution referencing that same phrase.

Jenkins, R-Kan., said Thursday she didn’t know “great white hope” had a negative connotation when she recently used the phrase to describe Republicans’ search for a new leader.

However, the freshman lawmaker supported a resolution that included that exact phrase last month ...
http://www.ottawaherald.com/story/082809jenkinsvote2009-08-28T20-18-07 (broken link)
Haven't we just recently had enough reminders that our reps don't read what they vote on?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
She should resign! And move to Cuba!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Even a 5 year old would know what she said is racist. You look at the the great hope she wants, and makes a point of it to says they are white, and they oppisition is black.

You have to have some very serious self delusion to say that she did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies