Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times

Advertisements

^ yes - I have lots of friends in the auto industry that have seen the union abuses. Guys making six figure salaries that slack all day and can't be fired.

Of course, this is not true of all auto workers, but the auto industry seems to be a pretty good example of how unions can be a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Its called have your resume ready to go work for someone else.
Its called get an education and use your experience to make yourself as indispensable as possible.

I understand there are cases where this is not possible but not enough American workers take this advice. The rather just rely on union heads to do their dirty work for them. Its almost to the point of extortion.

I think I rep'ed you in another thread than I read this I wish I could remove a rep lol

Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Assembly lines could easily become automated futher then they are now.
The UAW holds way too much power to let that happen though.

“An Economic‘Frankenstein’”: Introduction
The Nummi Plant was a joint venture producing GM products half the year and Toyotas, notably the Tacoma, the rest of the year. The plant was owned by the Pontiac Division of GM so it was closed because GM went under and shut down Pontiac altogether. Toyota is trying to keep it open

Old 08-28-2009, 03:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the government makes the rules! the government can stop the outsourcing and the government can stop illegal immigration. blame the government if those things are still going on!

for the record, the unions favored illegal immigration, particularly the AFL-CIO.Unions get behind illegal workers - Aug. 17, 2006
...thought you repubs didn't want government nannying you.....??????

Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
toyota has shut down its only UAW plant in the united states, in california.
Try a blow to workers.

Toyota does not really have a large footprint in the US, factory-wise (they "assemble" rather than "build" some cars here- big difference), and do most of their production offshore, where even the Japanese workers only get 80% of what their US counterparts made.

The take away from this action is the same take away from every action in our de-industrialization since we dropped our tariffs in 1973:

You cannot compete on a rigged playing field.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-28-2009 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
^ yes - I have lots of friends in the auto industry that have seen the union abuses. Guys making six figure salaries that slack all day and can't be fired.

Of course, this is not true of all auto workers, but the auto industry seems to be a pretty good example of how unions can be a bad thing.
Average US autoworker made (benefits included) around $30.00-40.00/hr.

The NYT "study", widely repeated in corporate media (remember Akre v Fox News?) was rigged- it included factoring in the vastly larger % of retired workers ("Legacy Costs" from back when we were a Middle Class nation).

So why no similiar outrage about the guys who have seen the largest (100-fold) increase in compensation over the past 2 decades:

The CEOs and other boardroom types?

I know: Doesn't fit the talking point.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:42 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

Yes, there are "workers " who make five to six figure salaries per HOUR. They are called corporate executives and if THEY fail they are given millions as a parting gift.

Union executives can be voted out...but ONLY if union members are active and involved.

And, historically, when union wages go up, all wages go up and vicey versy.

Yes, unions can be corrupt...as can corporations, churches, governments, charities, garden clubs, countries, ...get my drift? None of the things I just listed are bad in themselves but if their members aren't involved then anything can happen.....oh, and ONLY in corporations do "members" have NO say.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The unions have destroyed the manufacturing base in the US - payback is a bi*ch.
Sure, the unions

WHAT about the overpaid, underworked, bloated management that was the other party to sign those labor contracts. THEY get a pass, right?

WHAT a load of biased crap.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

It's also a pretty damn good example of how incompetent management can be a bad thing.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
...thought you repubs didn't want government nannying you.....??????

yeah this is totally against their deregulation I hate the government stance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies