Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Well in order to do any of that,you must at least be educated,or you are doomed to fail.Republicans in my state are more concerned about school prayer ,evolution and creationism,while our schools suffer sliding in mathematic and science.Passing bills that make English a our official language,wasting time defining marriage.Then they blocked funds from public transit in Democratically controlled traffic congested Atlanta,but managed to fund an expensive program to promote fishing in Georgia's drought stricken lakes,to which his plan for the drought was "to pray for rain".

The fact is cities overall tend to be more liberal in degrees.Rural areas tend to be havens for Republicans(at least throughout the entire South).Many are "dirt poor".If the state ultimately has more power than the city.Why is that the poorest with the lowest educational standards are states overall ,over the last decade or so have been Republican controlled?
Louisiana
Mississippi
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alabama
South Carolina
Texas
Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well in order to do any of that,you must at least be educated,or you are doomed to fail.Republicans in my state are more concerned about school prayer ,evolution and creationism,while our schools suffer sliding in mathematic and science.Passing bills that make English a our official language,wasting time defining marriage.Then they blocked funds from public transit in Democratically controlled traffic congested Atlanta,but managed to fund an expensive program to promote fishing in Georgia's drought stricken lakes,to which his plan for the drought was "to pray for rain".

The fact is cities overall tend to be more liberal in degrees.Rural areas tend to be havens for Republicans(at least throughout the entire South).Many are "dirt poor".If the state ultimately has more power than the city.Why is that the poorest with the lowest educational standards are states overall ,over the last decade or so have been Republican controlled?
Louisiana
Mississippi
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alabama
South Carolina
Texas
Georgia
Most of the poorest areas in the South (rural and urban) are inhabited by blacks, who vote solidly Democrat.

(This drags the whole state down)

Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Most of the poorest areas in the South (rural and urban) are inhabited by blacks, who vote solidly Democrat.

Actually the poorest areas of the states in the South are in Appalachia.These places are overwhelming white.Also what about states like the Dakota's?I don't see your point.They are still Republican States.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
So what? Poor people are Americans too. Their votes count just as much as votes from middle-income and wealthy people.

What - are you trying to demonize the poor? If you are, I think that's pretty despicable.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM

37,186 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Interesting..... Poverty in Our Cities.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'
It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still POOR!!!
The republicans, on the other hand, have never been smart enough to figure out that poor people vote also, their votes are equal to the votes of the rich, and there are so many more of the poor people than there are the rich.

Ditto gays, women, assorted races, and other Federally Protected Classes.

I wonder why it is that Democrats are so much smarter than republicans?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:12 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I'm not sure the original poster is valid either, but do you have any evidence the Dakotas have low educational standards?

Looking it up for myself they don't do well in fourth or eight graders being "above advanced" in math.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

However they do quite well in fourth and eighth graders being "above basic" in math.

Most things I've read state students in the Dakotas do well on SATs and ACTs.

SAT scores by state - USATODAY.com
ACT Composite Scores by State

The two states also have high high school graduate rates and are in the top 20 of Morgan Quitno's "Best Educated Index."

High School Graduation Rates in the United States | Table 1

One source indicates them among the states where a ninth-grader has the best chance of going to college.

http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/index.php?submeasure=62&year=2006&level=nation&mod e=graph&state=0

As for the original post I believe Boston and Minneapolis also have very long histories of Democratic mayors. El Paso's mayors are non-partisan so saying they've "never had a Republican mayor" is slightly misleading. Miami's current mayor is an independent.

Cities with Republican mayors include

Anaheim, California
Charlotte, North Carolina - Their mayor founded some Republican mayors group.
Chula Vista, California
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dallas, Texas
Indianapolis, Indiana
Jacksonville, Florida
Lubbock, Texas
Modesto, California
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Their mayor heads some Republican mayors group.
Reno, Nevada
San Diego, California
Tucson, Arizona

There are also large suburbs, like Plano or Arlington in Texas, with Republican mayors.

Of those listed Dallas and Lubbock have the highest poverty rates. Lubbock is the more Republican of the two as Lubbock county went for McCain in 2008. Hialeah, Florida also has a Republican mayor, and a fair amount of poverty, but I didn't list it as it's apparently part of a larger metro-area.

Anyway for poor Republicans there's parts of Tennessee and Kentucky. Jackson County, Kentucky is a very poor county that is also solidly Republican. East Tennessee has been solid Republican since the 1880s, at least, and has some poor counties.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,758 times
Quote:

Well, since democrats seem to be doing better in leadership than republicans, I guess it shows blacks in the south are more clever...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:07 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I wonder why it is that Democrats are so much smarter than republicans?
The majority of Democrats are more educated and read varying points of view versus most Republicans who read sometimes, if really bored.

Republicans typically just watch FoxNews and nod their heads a lot.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
The majority of Democrats are more educated and read varying points of view versus most Republicans who read sometimes, if really bored.

Republicans typically just watch FoxNews and nod their heads a lot.
Of course there's little or no evidence for any such thing. In fact Republicans tend to be more knowledgeable than Democrats on some issues.

Public Knows Basic Facts About Financial Crisis: Overview - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press (http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=1496 - broken link)

"Republicans tend to be older, more educated, higher income and are more likely to be male." Other sources I've seen show Republicans read or watch a good diversity of sources. The only truth in the idea is that people with postgraduate degrees tend to be Democratic of late.

Now this is the Internet and the Internet has a strong "youth bias." So if by "educated" you mean "under thirty, in college, and living in an urban area" than Republicans are less likely to be that.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,055 times
Posted on the 'wealthiest counties are democratic' thread:

"Why don't you just post a rebuttal on the 'Poorist Cities are Democratic' thread instead of starting a 'Wealthiest Counties are Democratic' thread? It might be more effective don't you think?

But as long as you brought it up, why would the poorest 'cities' and the wealthiest 'counties' both be democratic? The answer is simple. Obviously political affiliation is not what's at play here. I would suggest that the wealth gap between democratic cities and democratic counties has more to do with the demographics of each.

Would you care to post the demographics of the cities and counties mentioned in each of these threads? The cities that went down hill did not do so because they were run by democrats. They didn't even go down hill because of the quality of their leaders although I think an argument could be made for this being a contributing factor. They went down hill because of the quality of their citizens.

- Reel"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies