Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evil?
Yes, there is good on earth, conversely there is evil. See Hitler for exhibit A 36 85.71%
No, "evil" is a man made concept; poeple just make bad choices some times 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 PM

40,949 posts, read 49,150,612 times

Advertisements

To bad you didn't start this thread in the Great Debates section where there could have been intelligent conversation with no Rep & Dem bickering.

Yes there is evil. Our jails are full of evil people, look at the guy in CA that was just arrested for kidnapping the girl & 19 years of holding and raping her.

A close friends 9 yr old daughter was murdered by a man here in TX and I'll spare you the details. He was pure evil and we executed him in 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,288,713 times
Maybe some of the political crap will shut up if they see true evil:

San Antonio police say a woman accused of beheading her 3-week-old infant son used a knife and two swords in the attack and ate some of the child's body parts.

If you think health care and taxes are evil you are a fool.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
Oh yea I believe in evil. A few examples, Tiller the baby killer and his supporters, Hitler, Bundy and those like him, hussein obama's cousin Odinga.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post

San Antonio police say a woman accused of beheading her 3-week-old infant son used a knife and two swords in the attack and ate some of the child's body parts.

Agreed. Evil is something that is far beyond this stuff.

Heath care reform and raising taxes is stupid and ignorant, but this is apples and oranges.

Evil most certainly exists. I'm not sure things are worse now than they were 30 years ago. We've got SO much access to news now that we see every single story, so it seems like there's more of it.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 PM

133 posts, read 191,205 times
Quote:

How about the abortionists! They are in this same catagory.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Evil is the guy who kills some one for fun, the guy who lives 2 miles from my house who SODOMIZED A SIX YEAR OLD. It isn't well he thinks we should cut taxes so he is evil. Thats pure B*LLSH*T
I'm with you. There are people so breathtakingly twisted that evil is the only answer.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM

300 posts, read 819,537 times
When I was younger, I thought apathy was the only real existence of evil I could describe, as it's been said : "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". I agreed with that assessment, not because I think of myself as a good person, but I tend to choose goodness, for the sake of it, and to me, that's all the difference there is.

A goat from its mother's womb, is cared for, then older, is killed, and cut into pieces then eaten. Some consider that morally wrong. However, from here to beyond all we know, galaxies swallow each other whole and atoms smash into each other -- the universe is predatory and violent. So in this sense, evil is merely a word used by those who don't understand nature, or their own.

The Judeo/Christian/Islamic concept of god, deals in absolutes. Were I to reject the tyranny of these gods (and there is irrefutable proof in the Judeo/Christian/Islamic beliefs that these gods are tyrants), I would be called evil in this context. However, the barbarism practiced by these gods throughout history in their declarations that all opposition is evil, is the pot calling the kettle black. Yet more proof evil is a subjective concept, and it depends on who is doing the defining of the word.

In law (a human institution), evil is tangible, and punishment is in accord for the evil as it is measured, but to my knowledge, the only tangible goodness, recognized in our society anyway, is charitable deductions on a tax return. So excluding this, in the view of law, only evil exists.

I don't think there's an easy answer.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
As the saying goes "If there is good, than there must be evil".
Why?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Yes, I believe in evil. I believe that there are people who are evil.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Agreed. Evil is something that is far beyond this stuff.

Heath care reform and raising taxes is stupid and ignorant, but this is apples and oranges.

Evil most certainly exists. I'm not sure things are worse now than they were 30 years ago. We've got SO much access to news now that we see every single story, so it seems like there's more of it.
I agree on that...evil just didn't start with the hippies in the 60's even though some people think so. Now we just get to hear about it faster.
For some reason it's inherent in some people. I truly believe that although some people can be made to be evil, some are born that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies