Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
freedom scares too many people in both the democrat and republican parties.
if we the people got as much freedom as the documents our founding fathers gave us, the democrat and republican parties would lose way too much of their power.
that is something they could not live without.

YouTube - Easy Rider on Freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
The end result of laissez-faire capitalism is the same as when a predator becomes too successful: The prey become extinct, and the predator then becomes extinct itself.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The end result of laissez-faire capitalism is the same as when a predator becomes too successful: The prey become extinct, and the predator then becomes extinct itself.
Libertarians have never supported lazy fairies - only their right to be so.

Last edited by ergohead; 09-02-2009 at 12:49 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,837 times
I find this whole "the government has to protect us from the evil corporations" argument a bit ridiculous, and more than a bit ironic. What is the worst thing that corporations have done? Put people to work in sweatshops? That's bad, certainly, but the fact of the matter is that people work there because it is better than the alternative. We talk about how horrible it is to 'force' third world citizens to produce our tennis shoes, but never stop to think about the fact that they have a say in the matter, and as bad as the working conditions are, they're still obviously better than the agrarian farming lifestyle they're used to.

On the other hand, what's the worst that the government can do? I guess I'm not sure if it's the absolute worst, but genocide is pretty bad, and was committed by multiple governments in the last century alone. Hell, even our own government institutionalized slavery; the forced subjugation of millions of people. That wasn't a product of the free market, that was a system that could only survive if the government enforced the laws that allowed people to be considered property. You can sit there in fear of big corporations all you want, but government is the real villain. Less government (to a point) equals more freedom, which corespondingly equals greater prosperity, and thus higher living standards.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

sorry, cannot watch any youtube at work.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I find this whole "the government has to protect us from the evil corporations" argument a bit ridiculous, and more than a bit ironic. What is the worst thing that corporations have done?
Journalist Files Charges against WHO and UN for Bioterrorism and Intent to Commit Mass Murder (http://www.naturalnews.com/026503_pandemic_swine_flu_bioterrorism.html - broken link)

But now, Big Business IS Big Government.

And now, Big Government IS Big Business.

Did Ike have his finger in a Dyke?

YouTube - Eisenhower on the Military Industrial Complex

Last edited by ergohead; 09-02-2009 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 AM

8,040 posts, read 12,252,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I consider myself a libertarian, but complete de-regulation of financial markets is part of what spurred our current economic situation. The article even points this out by stating that hands off economics have been proven wrong.
Actually, what spurred the economic downturn was all the new home buyers who agreed to and signed ARMs & sub prime loans without knowing the details of such risky endeavors. Then they failed to make the mortgage payments & ended up with their houses being foreclosed. The banks that offered these deals were just as much to blame ... so they should have been allowed to fail without any kind of stimulus money or bailout.

Quote:
I do believe we should have let AIG, and some of the other big insurance companies falter. It would send a message to future investors that gambling like that will not get you anywhere. In the future, people would have been more cautious about their investments.
Absolutely! Unfortunately, what actually happened was these corrupt firms were bailed out with taxpayer money ... which sent the message that if you screw up, Big Brother will take care of everything. All that does is allow people to shirk personal responsibility even further!

Quote:
Where I tend to go left of some of my libertarian brothers and sisters is in my liking of things like cap and trade for CO2 emissions. Its worked in the past to reduce emissions, while creating new jobs. I also believe we should have a government healthcare option, not universal healthcare however.
I disagree here ... especially about healh care. The private sector has managed health insurance and the medical industry just fine. It's not perfect, but nothing in this world is. The health care industry is not broken enough to need any kind of government option. The majority of Americans have health coverage, and are satisfied with their plans ... so it's best to leave well enough alone.

Quote:
Just like any other political group, we have hardcores and centrists. Still, I think the libertarian philosophy is the best to take.
The hard core Libertarians are often anarchists ... and I'm not one! I believe some limited forms of government are necessary, such as the military to protect our borders and fight enemies when needed. The legal system and law enforcement are also needed, but even they have become too bloated. Overall, it's best to let people live their own lives as they so choose.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I consider myself a libertarian, but complete de-regulation of financial markets is part of what spurred our current economic situation. The article even points this out by stating that hands off economics have been proven wrong.

I do believe we should have let AIG, and some of the other big insurance companies falter. It would send a message to future investors that gambling like that will not get you anywhere. In the future, people would have been more cautious about their investments.

Government bail out money of GM and Chrysler only prolonged their inevitable bankruptcy, because they were building vehicles that no one wanted.

Where I tend to go left of some of my libertarian brothers and sisters is in my liking of things like cap and trade for CO2 emissions. Its worked in the past to reduce emissions, while creating new jobs. I also believe we should have a government healthcare option, not universal healthcare however.

Just like any other political group, we have hardcores and centrists. Still, I think the libertarian philosophy is the best to take.
Well then, why don't you try it sometime?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM

558 posts, read 818,448 times
Quote:
What amuses me most about this thread is that it's littered with your comments, yet you haven't written one thing I'll even remember two minutes from now.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:

I try it all the time, and its rather enjoyable thanks for asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies