Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,249 times

Advertisements

From the speech menu"

How will he inspire us?
How will he challenge us?

Yes lets worship Obama. Seems like he thinks he is very "God" like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
From the speech menu"

How will he inspire us?
How will he challenge us?

Yes lets worship Obama. Seems like he thinks he is very "God" like.
Hardly. Nobody worships him. But as leader he should inspire and challenge should he not?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
I guess its OK when Reagan and Bush do it.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200909030020

Quote:
Putting aside possible ulterior motives, the conservative freak-out over President Obama’s planned speech to students urging them to stay in school and work hard is due to fears that Obama will use his platform as an opportunity to push his agenda on unsuspecting students. Ironically, that’s exactly what President Reagan did two decades ago. On November 14, 1988, Reagan addressed and took questions from students from four area middle schools in the Old Executive Office Building. According to press secretary Marvin Fitzwater, the speech was broadcast live and rebroadcast by C-Span, and Instructional Television Network fed the program “t o schools nationwide on three different days.” Much of Reagan’s speech that day covered the American “vision of self-government” and the need “to keep faith with the unfinished vision of the greatness and wonder of America” but in the middle of the speech, the president went off on a tangent about the importance of low taxes:

Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Your stupidity is showing. Where did I say it was okay for Reagan or Bush.
It is not.

Assumptions make you look foolish.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
It is not.

So why isn't it ok? In your view anyway. I think the President has a right to address whoever he wants. Why don't you? Is it some kind of "only I will decide what my kids hear or see" mentality? Because that thinking never leads to anything good.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Default I wonder why...

The hear the federal Department of Education are making changes to their worksheet.

I wonder why...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
School speech backlash builds - Nia-Malika Henderson - POLITICO.com

Quote:
School districts from Maryland to Texas are fielding angry complaints from parents opposed to President Barack Obama’s back-to-school address Tuesday – forcing districts to find ways to shield students from the speech as conservative opposition to Obama spills into the nation’s classrooms.

“The gist is, ‘I want to see what the president has to say before you expose it to my child.’
Exactly right. Let's hear it first.

Quote:
Obama isn’t the first president to be criticized this way. O’Neill recalled President George H. W. Bush made televised address to students in October 1991 as campaign season was heating up. A handful of Democrats denounced Bush’s address as pure politics.
Ok for democrats to object, not ok for conservatives.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
It is not.

Which one of you is this talking?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
A handful of Democrats denounced
A handful of Democrats. There was nothing like this furor. I don't even remember it happening, and I had kids in school at the time. Reagan did the same, and I don't remember that, either, though my kids weren't in school during the Reagan years (thank G**)!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
...Some of you people really need to take a break from politics if it makes you this...ape**** roving insane.

Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies