Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Critical Thinkng Skills
1. Strongly opposed. 3 27.27%
2. Slightly negative. 0 0%
3. I'm neutral. 0 0%
4. I'm somewhat positive. 1 9.09%
5. Strongly support. 7 63.64%
6. Other 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

With regard to this thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t10584350.html

What if your favorite elected official- state, local or federal- gave a speech instead of Barack Obama? Don't you think that it would be a good exercise and is one that can be altered to be age appropriate?

If our children are taught to think for themselves, we have nothing to worry about. They are wiser than many adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM

My office has been abuzz with talk of parents keeping their children home from school tomorrow rather than expose them to the harmful propaganda that they will be subjected to by hearing BO's talk. I wonder how many of these parents use the same restrictive filter with the video games, songs and movies that their children enjoy?

I have gone back and forth on how I will handle this, as it is likely that my children's school will not be airing BO's talk. I intend to voice my displeasure with the school's decision in writing. I will tape his talk and we will watch it as a family tomorrow night.

I am perplexed at what people fear. Even if parents don't support BO or believe that they will agree with what he will be saying, this is an opportunity to discuss your values and the reasons that you disagree. It is an opportunity to reinforce your beliefs.

IMO, those parents who will kepp their children home rather than allow them to take part in this presentation are no more than emboldened wingnuts and they are doing a disservice to their children.

It is my belief that what he will say will be motivating and inspirational. I don't think he will use the children to push his agenda. But even if this were to be the case, wouldn't it be better to expose your children to it and then discuss it rather than politicizing your children by keeping them home?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
What if your favorite elected official- state, local or federal- gave a speech instead of Barack Obama? Don't you think that it would be a good exercise and is one that can be altered to be age appropriate?
Why would I want an elected official to preach to my child, about anything?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
After I see the text for the speech, I'll decide if I agree with your sentiments. Right now, I'm in the "not sure how I feel about this" category, but wouldn't label those who are concerned as "emboldened wingnuts". That seems a bit odd to state before looking at the text of the speech itself.

Isn't that what "critical thinking" is all about?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM

I agree. Those who are keeping their children home without even knowing what his presentation is about are jumping the gun. Critical thinking is about hearing something and turning it over in their minds, thinking about it. By keeping kids home, there is no thought.

There has never been a time when my kids were not exposed to public officials and a discussion of why or why not I did not support what they said. I figure we have a certain number of years when our children will think that what we say is law and after that, they will make their own decisions. I don't see a downside in allowing children to hear BO. It will give parents who oppose what he says the opportunity to discuss their values and why they feel that way.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why would I want an elected official to preach to my child, about anything?
Blind faith?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I agree. Those who are keeping their children home without even knowing what his presentation is about are jumping the gun. Critical thinking is about hearing something and turning it over in their minds, thinking about it. By keeping kids home, there is no thought.

There has never been a time when my kids were not exposed to public officials and a discussion of why or why not I did not support what they said. I figure we have a certain number of years when our children will think that what we say is law and after that, they will make their own decisions. I don't see a downside in allowing children to hear BO. It will give parents who oppose what he says the opportunity to discuss their values and why they feel that way.
True in a way, they could use the speech as a critical discussion.

However, I think the whole objection and concern comes from publication of the advanced notes that stated stuff like students "write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president" and to discuss what "the president wants us to do."

Frankly, that would be of concern to me. Imagine the reaction from the current Obama supporters if this speech was being given a few years ago by Bush and these were the follow up assignments.

They'd be hitting the roof.

Clarity from posting the actual speech will help make decisions clearer.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I find the letter the students are told to write---"How can I help my president succeed" a little over the top. Skip the assignments and let them hear the talk. That would be enough.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Each teacher can make do with what the President tells them as they think appropriate for their classroom. . I hate to break it to people but the majority of kids will barely remember his name after the speech is given. While I realize this can encourage healthy discussion about politics and the President's speech about doing all the right things (so to speak) I dont think its going to have alot of impact, good or bad. Today's instant gratification and never ending assortment of entertainment choices means most kids will barely pay any attention. All you have to do is look at # of eligible voters 18-25 who actually showed up to vote. I would only hope that children would look up to someone like Barack Obama instead of any celebrity, film or music star or athlete. And you'd be crazy to think otherwise.

But lots 'o crazy folks out there...........

Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 PM

841 posts, read 2,261,066 times
This country is dead last; thus i find this poll comical. I would find it even more comical if conservatives chose "strongly support."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies