Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of home schooling?
In favor 124 49.21%
Not in Favor 76 30.16%
Don't care 52 20.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Excuse me!
I was referring to the other guy, Denverkid....

I used your post and the associated link to call out his b.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is an allegory and not literal. This is the same issue as the bread and fish that feed the masses and the well that never runs dry. These are allegories that refer to spiritual issues and the physical context is an illustration. You needed to pay closer attention in parochial school and I am afraid that you missed THE main point of not only the bible, but parochial education.
This is not taught as "an allegory" at my parochial school. In fact, fundamentalist Christians take the entire bible as literal truth.

BTW, is creation an allegory rather than a literal event?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is an allegory and not literal. This is the same issue as the bread and fish that feed the masses and the well that never runs dry. These are allegories that refer to spiritual issues and the physical context is an illustration. You needed to pay closer attention in parochial school and I am afraid that you missed THE main point of not only the bible, but parochial education.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0RFxXrYzg

Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
I see that agree that religion one of the major reasons many homeschool.
ONE of the reasons. BUT, not the ONLY reason. In FACT, there is a reason MORE IMPORTANT than anything to do with religion.

Perhaps you could be honest enough to acknowledge this FACT?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
indeed, religion is a fairy-tale. There's no arguing that.
To the CONTRARY. When a HUGE majority of Americans identify themselves as religious and believe in God, and when a majority of the
WORLDS population do likewise, your statement that religion is a "fairy tale" is CERTAINLY arguable.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I don't believe in home schooling. I don't think that it's in the child's best interests to be kept at home and schooled by their parents. In a school, the child will be exposed to other academic perspectives. And also importantly, children need to interact with other children and adults in varied social situations. And they will need those social skills as adults in the workplace.

However, I feel that in addition to going to school, parents do need to spend quality time with their children to go over their schoolwork and to supplement their learning by taking them to libraries and museums.

So parents should be part of the learning process, but just not the primary source of their child's academic knowledge.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Ohh give me a break. The sheeple have been brainwashed.
Religion's purpose is the scare and control the masses.

There is no proof of god.
There is no proof there isn't a God.

I would submit that there is more "data" that would indicate the existence of a higher being than not.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:

There is no proof of god.
Which is why it's called "faith".

Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
faith will only lead people to a false sense of hope in a time of need.
Or, a sense of hope and comfort - that it is not hopeless.

When my wife and child were killed, it was this faith that helped me to survive.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
faith will only lead people to a false sense of hope in a time of need.
No, that's what people who don't have faith in religion look for when they are in a time of need. Something to help them through a tough time after all their agnostic beliefs have left them with nada, and they need something. Conjure up a demon? Talk to a tree? Light up some incense? Open a fortune cookie and hope it's a "good" foturne? Whatever. Go your way and get over the fact that nobody who has any faith really cares what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies