Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of home schooling?
In favor 124 49.21%
Not in Favor 76 30.16%
Don't care 52 20.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No problem, as long as I can send my kids to a school
Sure - no problem.

Just so you know: Many schools are starting to allow teachers to have concealed firearms on their person during the school day.

I hope that doesn't bother you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sure - no problem.

Just so you know: Many schools are starting to allow teachers to have concealed firearms on their person during the school day.

I hope that doesn't bother you....
Hehe
- I am sure there are enough schools left that don't do that.
- I more or less trust teachers to be reasonable enough to handle an arm carefully, unlike many other people.
- I don't have kids anyway.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Sure, you can send your children to school. As long as you know that many of your children's teachers wouldn't send their own children to that school.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Sure, you can send your children to school. As long as you know that many of your children's teachers wouldn't send their own children to that school.
Oh Yeah...and those teachers love having that freedom.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:19 AM

There are great schools in the US, don't put it as though all schools are crap just to promote HS. Cowboy-Indian syndrome I suppose
Interesting site...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Huh? I said nothing about good schools or bad schools. I said that many teachers home school their own children and would not put them in school. That is often because although the school may be a "GOOD" school, they know that home schooling is a better option for them.

And they certainly love having that freedom. Oh, I already said that.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Huh? I said nothing about good schools or bad schools. I said that many teachers home school their own children and would not put them in school. That is often because although the school may be a "GOOD" school, they know that home schooling is a better option for them.

And they certainly love having that freedom. Oh, I already said that.
Since you mentioned it several times, how many is many? Any reliable sources for the percentage of teachers home-schooling their own kids?
Not that it mattered, just curious...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Default What's your opinion of home schooling?

There were good public schools in the area when my kids were school age, so I never considered it. I can see why some parents would, though. The schools in some locales are awful. But I think it would be tough to do it well at levels much beyond 5th or 6th grade.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
I am still waiting for specific examples of things parents don't want their kids to learn at those evil conventional schools
  • How to obtain and use illegal drugs.
  • How to join a gang.
  • What getting beat up for no reason feels like.
  • An $80 label on a $20 pair of jeans is a good thing.
  • "Enhanced" vocabulary - the kind not taught in the classroom.
  • Cheating is an acceptable method of passing tests.
You get the idea.

Beyond that, there's the simple fact that teaching in a classroom these days is more about crowd control and ensuring that kids can pass standardized tests than it is about providing a quality education. There are some good teachers out there that want to provide a quality education, but the burdens placed on them can make doing that job extremely difficult.

In most states, parents that home school have access to the same curriculum used in the public schools, but they can give their children the 1-on-1 attention that's simply not possible in a classroom of 35-50 kids. If the parent doesn't feel that a subject is being covered thoroughly enough, they can focus on it more.

People constantly use the argument that home schooling doesn't provide the children with a complete education, and that the students are being short-changed. What about the public school student that has far more potential than the majority of his/her classmates, but is only being provided with the bare minimum of education? Aren't they being short-changed, too? In a home schooling environment, that potential can be exploited.

I don't think you'd find one home schooling parent that would suggest that it's the right choice for every family. More than anyone, they understand that how you raise your kids should be left up to you. If you're content with the quality of the education provided at the local public school, then by all means, take advantage of that service you're paying for via taxes. They only want to be given that same choice, without being harassed for choosing a different option.

Last edited by swagger; 02-05-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
I guess that is the problem with all HS. Parents try to turn their kids into clones of themselves
...another demonstration of your ignorance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies