Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 13,450 times

Advertisements

After watching all of the forums and shaking my head at all the craziness I wondered who in their right mind would say they were Republicans? What does being a Republican mean? And if most people in America are AMERICANS, then what's with all this "real american" code talk? What the hell does that mean?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,409 times
I don't know if I qualify as a "real American" although I was born in this country, spent 3 years in the Marine Corps and fought in Vietnam. But I'll hazard a guess. It's a guise used by political factions to discredit those that think differently by questioning their patriotism. Nazi Germany used it quite effectively. The same question may be asked about "real Christians." We live in country that is predominately Christian, but only the "real Christians" can recognize one another. I don't think it's a coincidence that people that think they are "real Christians" also believe they are "real Americans"

Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
It's factionalism. People only consider what they want as "Real", and only the "Real" people matter and are better then everyone else.

Reminds me of an Emo Phillips routine.

Emo Philips - Wikiquote

I was walking across a bridge one day and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said,
"Stop! Don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
"Well, there is so much to live for."
"Like what?"
"Well, are you religious?"
He said yes.
I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"
"Christian."
"Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
"Protestant."
"Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
"Baptist."
"Wow, me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
"Baptist Church of God."
"Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"
"Reformed Baptist Church of God."
"Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915."
I said, "Die, heretic," and pushed him off.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,138 times
Means you are in the catch-all area for haters of every stripe,type and form.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM

26,204 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUCATED MAN'S PERSPECTIV View Post
After watching all of the forums and shaking my head at all the craziness I wondered who in their right mind would say they were Republicans? What does being a Republican mean? And if most people in America are AMERICANS, then what's with all this "real american" code talk? What the hell does that mean?!
Today's political labels do a very poor job of describing people and it's almost impossible to use the terms with any true meaning. Mostly, today's labels are used as epithets and smears.

A Republican used to mean a person in favor of:

- balanced budgets (Gramm, Rudman, Hollings Balanced Budget Act)

- personal responsibility (don't have kids if you cannot afford to raise them; Goldwater was proud his wife worked for Planned Parenthood)

- keeping the governments nose out of your bedroom (no one blew the whistle on Hoover, JFK or others for their frolicking)

- ethical business practices (no one got liar loans in the old days; a AAA rating really meant something; frauds were few and far between, found out quickly and the guilty carted off to jail)

- safe food (Teddy Roosevelt started moving in that direction a hundred years ago after abuses in the meat packing biz)

- anti trust law (Teddy Roosevelt busted up the interlocking directorates and disbanded the worst of the robber baron schemes)

- environmental stewardship (Teddy Roosevelt moved forward with a system of national parks that are our national gems today)

- civil rights (Eisenhower started the Civil Rights Commission, used Federal troops to integrate schools in the south)

- investing in infrastructure (Lincoln started the transcontinental railroads, Eisenhower started the Interstate Highway System)

- avoiding foreign wars (Eisenhower warned us to stay out of ground wars in Asia, Nixon finally got us out of Vietnam)

- healthcare for all citizens (Nixon was for this)

- bi-partisanship (recall the amiability btw Reagan and Tip O'Neill; awesome to see and made you appreciate the system)

Somewhere along the way, the GOP changed into pretty much the opposite of all of the above. It defies explanation. Today's Republican bears little resemblance to the GOP'ers of yesteryear. FWIW, today's GOP is down to about 25% of voters who'll declare a party and far too many of them are religious zealots and/or racists. Many fiscal conservatives have left the GOP for Independent, Libertarian or even Blue Dog Democrat status.

Sarah Palin's terms like "Real America" or "Real American" are code for white, religious, gun owning, NASCAR-loving, pickup driving, rural folks or what some GOP'ers refer to as the "angry white male" demographic.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Defies explanation ???
Any historian/political scientist knows that when Johnson signed the civil rights voting act the entire Democratic "solid south" turned Republican overnight,Where else did all the haters have to go?
Even the rabid militarism masqerading as patriotism is an expression of hate towards others etc etc etc.

When ALL you have is a hammer,everythings a nail so hit it and hit it hard.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUCATED MAN'S PERSPECTIV View Post
And if most people in America are AMERICANS, then what's with all this "real american" code talk? What the hell does that mean?!
It's sort of like calling someone a racist because they are in favor of enforcing the immigration laws.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,617,449 times
A real American puts country before individual.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Well, if you ask the people who use the term, a real American means...

1. Anyone who listens to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Michael Savage (preferably one after the other) without questioning a word of it.
2. Anyone living west of the Appalacians and east of the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades.
3. Anyone who believes that Jesus was a Republican.
4. Anyone who listens to country music, watches Fox News and shops exclusively at Wal-Mart.
5. Anyone who lives in a town of under 50,000. Only small town folks qualify.
6. Anyone who thinks book learning and thoughtful reflection is a waste of time.

Specifically excluded are

1. Residents of Manhattan, Boston, DC or any other east coast liberal cesspool.
2. Anyone who watches MSNBC, listens to NPR or shops at Whole Foods.
3. Anyone who has ever been to one of those uppity east coast schools where they don't accomplish anything of any value.
4. Anyone who thinks that public education *might* have some value to society
5. Any union worker, because they are evil, communist pawns who must be crushed.
6. Anyone living in the Puget Sound, the Willammette Valley and San Francisco Bay.

I'm exaggerating of course. I just couldn't resist.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Really ?

I thought you were understating things out of innate civility.mackinac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies