Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I had someone's mother call in sick for her two days in a row. I asked if she was unable to talk and her mother said "she can talk but she said you might not believe she was sick so I'm calling you"
I had a guy that had his wife always call...LOL..She and I would joke about it over the phone...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOl I always assumed you were a man.
I did too...

Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why ridiculous?? it means 1 parent would have been home with the kid and maybe taught him some life skills, for sure the TV did not do the job. the fact remains we did it better 50 years ago, they were grown at 18, them days are over.
Blaming the feminist movement for young adults not being able to support themselves is ridiculous. If anything, children of working mothers are more self-sufficient because they have to be. There's no need to blame women for all of society's ills.

As far as things being better 50 years ago because they were grown at 18, that's looking back at the "good ol' days" with rose-colored glasses. I imagine that just as many people needed help back then as need it now. Kids weren't automatically moving out 18 unless they were getting married or joining the military.

If young people are willing to make sacrifices, they can take care of themselves. My 22-year-old niece is making it after her mother kicked her out because she joined the Air Force and muscled her way through boot camp and tech school. She doesn't have a car and she lives on base, but she's standing on her own two feet and proud of herself, as she should be.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
As others have noted, there is a lot less security with income regularity nowadays. For instance, it used to be common to hold a job which would increase in salary along a defined and predictable path over time. This is actually what made things like mortgage lending possible in the first place.

Now, a person might have a position for 1.5 years that pays $50,000 per year, followed by a layoff, followed by a job that pays less, followed by a layoff or a voluntary separation from the company, followed by a period of job-searching, followed by another job with a different salary, and so on.

This sort of income uncertainty plays havoc with systems like retirement, savings, and healthcare.

If you want to start your own business and escape this system - where will you get your startup capital? How will you fund your healthcare insurance or your retirement? Even taking a succession of lower-paying, insecure jobs might be better than risking going without health coverage.

If we want to make it easier on younger folks and encourage entrepreneurship, we should probably just eliminate personal income taxes altogether at the state and federal levels for amounts under $30,000 per year or so, among other reforms.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Blaming the feminist movement for young adults not being able to support themselves is ridiculous. If anything, children of working mothers are more self-sufficient because they have to be. There's no need to blame women for all of society's ills.

As far as things being better 50 years ago because they were grown at 18, that's looking back at the "good ol' days" with rose-colored glasses. I imagine that just as many people needed help back then as need it now. Kids weren't automatically moving out 18 unless they were getting married or joining the military.

If young people are willing to make sacrifices, they can take care of themselves. My 22-year-old niece is making it after her mother kicked her out because she joined the Air Force and muscled her way through boot camp and tech school. She doesn't have a car and she lives on base, but she's standing on her own two feet and proud of herself, as she should be.
to say that the feminist movement had no effect on the family is a pretty big statement. safe bet to say the feminist movement was not a "we" movement as presented, it was a "me" movement, the family got dumped ---gloria steinem statement on 50% divorce tells volumns, 'what problem--- sign of the times.'

Old 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
to say that the feminist movement had no effective on the family is a pretty big statement. safe bet to say the feminist movement was not a we movement as presented, it was a me movement, the family got dumped ---gloria steinem statement on 50% divorce tells volumns, 'what problem--- sign of the times.'
Well, if the divorce rate was lower prior to the feminist movement, it's because women couldn't earn a decent wage, couldn't obtain credit on their own and were blamed if their husbands beat them up. They often did not have an option for leaving a bad marriage. You may see that as better times, but I don't.

It's like saying times were good in the Jim Crow era because "we" had a good supply of cheap labor. Civil rights was also a "me" movement.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I don't think feminism or a feminist movement is actually necessary to get women into the workplace. For instance, Russia has a very high degree of female labor force participation, but isn't particularly known as a progressive haven for women's rights.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:13 PM

66 posts, read 194,929 times
Lightbulb Cost of Living to blame

HOW ABOUT THE HIGH COST OF LIVING being the main reason for people not doing well anymore. . . .

Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
i think ultimately its themselves. note 2 years ago on CDF i would get cypber yelled at for even suggesting a young person seek out VE option in jr college or military for debt free education (my usual pitch was RN) now i am seeing young people posting considering this option more and more. btw what astounds me at this ripe age, is how young people (and some not so young) can be in a state of name calling moral outrage--- and be utterly wrong. being a parent must be hell.
But you know the younger folks think that we old people know nothing..

Old 09-04-2009, 03:19 PM

66 posts, read 194,929 times
< It's always about cheap labor -
< Corporations led the feminist movement - so they could have cheap labor. . .
< Now, they just import Illegal Immigrants. . . . . .
< And that leaves EVERYONE ELSE out of work (or haven't you noticed how many I.I. are still working) while the citizens are not. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies