Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:35 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times

Advertisements

My ex-husband has been working in one of the Chrysler plants in Hsv since '99 and has gone through a lot of temporary lay-offs since then but he e-mailed me a couple of days ago to let me know that the employees were informed that their plant is going to be closed next year and a lot of permanent lay-offs will be starting this month. I just did a search and found the news here.

I can only imagine all those lay-offs are going to seriously affect the economy of the area, my ex has been thinking of leaving AL for a while so to all who are looking to move there other than by company transfer, maybe this should be a subject of consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:38 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Oops, even though I look in the list I didn't see that there was already a thread on this subject. I guess I expected it to say Chrysler so I missed it.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
What what is going to happen...within a year Chrysler will be totally out of business. Fiat is not going to ruin their own company to save this unviable, bottom of the US car manufacturing company. Of whats left of the big 3, Chrysler makes the poorest quality, ugly cars that no one wants. Only hard core Chrylsler loyalists keep buying them.

Just one more public bailout of a has been company that will never be worth what it has cost the US taxpayer.

ALL THESE BAILOUTS NEED TO STOP! Auto manufacturers, banks, airlines. If they can't figure out how to compete, they bye bye now. Billions and billions spent to keep the very rich rich, while the rest of us flounder in this greedy,. public assisted corporate powered economy.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Oops, even though I look in the list I didn't see that there was already a thread on this subject. I guess I expected it to say Chrysler so I missed it.
Most likely. Him having been worked since '99 was probably one of the "Chrysler people" (with legacy benefits, subject of media's focus of what went wrong, cost-structure wise), Since then there has been the Siemens takeover 2004 and Continental 2007, and now the company is referred to on its deathbed by its latest name: Continental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I can only imagine all those lay-offs are going to seriously affect the economy of the area, my ex has been thinking of leaving AL for a while so to all who are looking to move there other than by company transfer, maybe this should be a subject of consideration.
Athough it is tragic that 1500 people lose their job, it is not however a catastrophic hit to the local area (like 20+% unemployment). My guess some will find jobs with International, Toyota (auto workers all their life), the more versatile and diversified-career engineers could be absorbed by the defense industry (after they re-assign their own layoffs due to budget cuts). Of course this may look nice and dandy from a macroeconomic perspective, but on personal level, it could be very stressful times for many.

Last edited by friday13; 10-02-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,946 times
I think the hardest part is if they don't know how to do anything else but build cars, they are screwed. I have friend that worked at the Nummi Plant in Fremont, CA and she doesn't know what the hell she is gonna do. She has no computer skills and will be losing her pay of $26.00 an hour.

Seems like everyone here (california) is going back to school because most companies want to see some type of degree to say you paid $80,000 for 4 years to say you have a Bachelor's Degree, only to offer you a job paying $13.00 an hour! WTF!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Why was this thread moved? It involves a plant located in Huntsville, Ala. It doesn't involve "politics and other controversies." Just wondering.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
This is indeed sad news.

Does anyone know if the entire Chrysler company will be going out of business or some plants will be closed down?

I love Chrysler cars. I drive a Sebring and love it. I wanted to buy a Dodge Charger.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Only Jeep will survive.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:58 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
I think the hardest part is if they don't know how to do anything else but build cars, they are screwed. I have friend that worked at the Nummi Plant in Fremont, CA and she doesn't know what the hell she is gonna do. She has no computer skills and will be losing her pay of $26.00 an hour.

Seems like everyone here (california) is going back to school because most companies want to see some type of degree to say you paid $80,000 for 4 years to say you have a Bachelor's Degree, only to offer you a job paying $13.00 an hour! WTF!

You'd be surprised as to how many people who work in UAW auto plants are actual business people on the side; meaning people who own and run a business with employees. One of the biggest reasons, obviously, is the health care benefit factor.

All the more reason for a single payer health care system in the U.S. to promote the entrepenurial spirit.

Secondly, i agree with absurdity of going to college only to end up with a rather large debt only to be making pesos on the dollar, so to speak.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
You'd be surprised as to how many people who work in UAW auto plants are actual business people on the side; meaning people who own and run a business with employees. One of the biggest reasons, obviously, is the health care benefit factor.

All the more reason for a single payer health care system in the U.S. to promote the entrepenurial spirit.

Secondly, i agree with absurdity of going to college only to end up with a rather large debt only to be making pesos on the dollar, so to speak.
Exactly. I am going through college right now. VERY expensive and now all I see is that you still get paid crap even with a college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies