Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

I also wonder how much does it cost to operate mega churches the salaries, the upkeep on the building. just like some charities the cost of operations is more than the donation to charity. something is way wrong with that. I have no problem with churches that give with most of their tidings, have services in simple surroundings. when the pastor makes a million a year and drives a great car it seems to be more of a tax exempt scam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
they build terribly "fancy" places. I would much rather see a large warehouse style buildings with rows of folding chairs if more poor people could be helped. churches w/6,000 member should be able to do all kinds of charity work and their profits should go towards that as opposed to building bigger places to pray. not everyone has to belong to one church.
I don't believe in fancy churches myself and our church's new building is rather simple but it does the trick. Maybe you don't attend church but millions of folks benefit spiritually through worship services. Most churches I've attended operate on a tight, shoe-string budget. If the congregation decides to foot the bill for a larger facility, then that is their right especially if logistics demand a larger facility. Churches have and do support most of the charitable programs in this country. Saddle them with a tax burden that many are ill-equip to pay - Expect to see less charitable works done within the community as churches will need to devote their funds towards survival.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I also wonder how much does it cost to operate mega churches the salaries, the upkeep on the building. just like some charities the cost of operations is more than the donation to charity. something is way wrong with that. I have no problem with churches that give with most of their tidings, have services in simple surroundings. when the pastor makes a million a year and drives a great car it seems to be more of a tax exempt scam
This is not the reality for most churches. If a pastor is fleecing his/her flock, then I have no issues with the IRS administering sanctions.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is not the reality for most churches. If a pastor is fleecing his/her flock, then I have no issues with the IRS administering sanctions.
Can you imagine the Pastor driving away in his beautiful 2010 Mustang? LOL

Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 AM
KoT

103 posts, read 186,530 times
I guess most everyone on this thread is skipping to the end to post a quick reply, because no one has made mention to Lamborgotti's post. I have to at least half assume he knows something of his own church.

Churches should not be taxed. Our church does nothing but charities and help, there is no reason it should be taxed. However, if they were to be taxed one day, then expect church and state to become one and don't complain.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:48 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Churches are business... until they stop collecting money then they should be taxed... they can leave a "donation box" but nobody should be sticking out their hands or baskets to collect money... otherwise it becomes a business (which it is already)...
Go ahead and Tax them. BUt don't complain when the get to hire lobbiest. Or pray at school events or otherwise exciersize thier rights as taxpayers! Can't have it both ways, Either leave them alone and let your intolerence fester or tax them and put aside your hatred

Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
If you are going to tax houses of worship then you have to go across the board. American Legion, VFW, hospitals, fraternal, etc. They all stick their noses into politics and all have to be non-profit to apply for exemption. Also, they all do some very good charity work. Most food pantries are run by churches. And how many kids have Shriners helped?

And if it bothers you that a food pantry has handed out all their food then donate. Money, food, time, whatever. Don't use that as a reason to tax.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Poorer churches would pay less because their properties are less valuable.

I understand the tax-exemption for churches -- it prevents favoritism towards one denomination on the part of the government imposing the tax -- but I don't agree with it. I would support no tax on properties which are church (any religion) owned but which serve the common good, but I don't like tax exemption for those properties which serve only the members of any religion. Nor do I support tax deductions for contributions for the support, maintenance and proselytizing of a church/religion. But that's me.

And which government bureaucrat shall decide what the "common good" details?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Poorer churches would pay less because their properties are less valuable.

I understand the tax-exemption for churches -- it prevents favoritism towards one denomination on the part of the government imposing the tax -- but I don't agree with it. I would support no tax on properties which are church (any religion) owned but which serve the common good, but I don't like tax exemption for those properties which serve only the members of any religion. Nor do I support tax deductions for contributions for the support, maintenance and proselytizing of a church/religion. But that's me.

I don't know about other places but in Maine tax exempt is, besides gov't property, set aside for non-profit recognized by the IRS. These outfits are usually into some form of charitable, cultural, or scientific/educational programs. They are not exempt so as to not show favoritism. They are usually the ones who run food and/or soup kitchens, second hand stores (Salvation Army type) or something like that. It is a way fro these organizations to put more money to the common good and not into municipal coffers.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM

70 posts, read 187,056 times
I just don't think that any one specific church should have so much property, property that is not being used for religious purposes, off the tax roles. Have you researched how much the Temple's cost, that money could have been used for so much more...helping the poor, food pantry, clothing our homeless, establishing a rehab clinic for all the morman women who are addicted to anti-depressants, building a social network or research facility to discover and combat the high rate of suicides in 18-24 year old men in Utah, there is so much they could be doing to help the community at large and yet they are just amassing millions and millions of dollars worth of property...do the mormons not realize that it is their own hard earned money that is building these temples, they are taking food out of their own families mouths because it is required to pay a certain amount each week based on income and what happens to it?

Just my opinion, not that it matters to anyone but me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies