Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
My friend, you live in Texas, did you expect anything else?
It's unfortunate that teaching kids to set goals and stay in school could be so offensive to the neocons
Actually, it's the whole "What can you do to help the president? Let's learn more about the president" thing that I find offensive. The people that Obama surrounds himself with have made it clear that they consider indoctrinating children to be a component to pushing their agenda. That scares me.

And an hour long broadcast on the first day of school? That goes a little beyond encouraging kids.

Obama shouldn't be teaching any children - he's not a teacher. Although he kind of fancies himself a lot of things that he's really not: doctor, car mechanic, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Example, please, of this alleged left intolerance....or what this stuff you say the left "can't tolerate".
I went to a town hall meeting yesterday. About 15 people were for a public healthcare option. About 1,300 people opposed it. 9-10 of the people that supported it were bussed in from Berkeley. As I was leaving the meeting, I walked behind 4 people that were obviously the few in support that hadn't been bussed in. I followed them for 5 minutes, all the while listening to them comment on the fact that "everyone at the meeting was stupid" and "it just goes to show that uneducated people are stupid".

The fact is, most of the people in attendance were professionals or small business owners. And most have a college education. I know, because I knew most of the people there. But they'd made that deterimination without knowing any of them.

The intolerance of these people to accept that someone could be intelligent AND disagree with them was very evident.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If Obama wanted to provide it for them, I would vote for him next election. That would be one of the most noble and selfless acts in the history of mankind. Unfortunately, Obama wants ME and many other Americans to provide it for them via higher taxes and fees, as well as a reduction in the quality of care many of us now receive.

You fail. Again.
There are 19 countries which provide some model of national health care for their populace, including Israel, Ireland, France, Australia and Germany. It would hardly be a novelty on the world stage if President Obama were able to add the U.S. to that list. Curiously, citizens of those countries are willing to subsidize care for all and not just the privileged few. Perhaps they interpret their tax monies being spent in such a manner as charity, as the Christian/spiritual thing to do when faced with a child with cancer or an elderly person unable to afford their medications on a fixed income. Over 1 million people go bankrupt in this country annually due to medical expenses, yet for all of the money spent we are still battling incredibly high mortality rates, particularly for children. That belies the idea that our current system is a success and the envy of the world. Clearly, the citizens of other countries understand that avarice is a character and spiritual defect, not a model to be emulated. You are the one who fails, on several levels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/health/07stat.html

Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obama election spurs race threats, crimes

From California to Maine, 'hundreds' of incidents reveal racism in America

Obama election spurs race threats, crimes - Race & ethnicity- msnbc.com
Here's proof that racism is not always as it seems.....

Democratic Party Headquarters Vandalized - Politics News Story - KMGH Denver

Old 09-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Here's proof that racism is not always as it seems.....

Democratic Party Headquarters Vandalized - Politics News Story - KMGH Denver

One incident? Try this one for size and scope:

DHS Report on Right Wing Extremism

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please explain "lose a war for political gain". Please. I waiting with bated breath.

Oh, you know. You, me, a few other CD posters. Anyone who disagrees with them.

Sure, and be sure to provide links.

Targeted toward the Jews, as in the post above yours. Benjamin Shalom Bernanke, just like Barack Hussein Obama. An attempt to discredit by virtue of middle name. Shameful.
There is no shame for some people; their flaws go unnoticed and unchanged. To lie is now legitimate. Forgery is legitimate. Bullying tactics are legitimate. Carrying armed weapons into public gatherings is legitimate.
As for the links, I'm betting your request will be ignored; the main agenda is simply to spread the lies and distortions, attack those who believe differently and run when asked to provide verification; you cannot verify a lie. Welcome to the new America.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:32 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

One incident? Try this one for size and scope:

DHS Report on Right Wing Extremism
The Right lacks perspective.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Actually, it's the whole "What can you do to help the president? Let's learn more about the president" thing that I find offensive. The people that Obama surrounds himself with have made it clear that they consider indoctrinating children to be a component to pushing their agenda. That scares me.

And an hour long broadcast on the first day of school? That goes a little beyond encouraging kids.

Obama shouldn't be teaching any children - he's not a teacher. Although he kind of fancies himself a lot of things that he's really not: doctor, car mechanic, etc.
Give me a break. When Obama refers to helping the President he's referring to the office of the President, not himself. Use common sense. Indoctrinating them to do what? This outrage is shamefully ludicrous.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
I went to a town hall meeting yesterday. About 15 people were for a public healthcare option. About 1,300 people opposed it. 9-10 of the people that supported it were bussed in from Berkeley. As I was leaving the meeting, I walked behind 4 people that were obviously the few in support that hadn't been bussed in. I followed them for 5 minutes, all the while listening to them comment on the fact that "everyone at the meeting was stupid" and "it just goes to show that uneducated people are stupid".

The fact is, most of the people in attendance were professionals or small business owners. And most have a college education. I know, because I knew most of the people there. But they'd made that deterimination without knowing any of them.

The intolerance of these people to accept that someone could be intelligent AND disagree with them was very evident.
I would have to know what the people were saying before I decided if I thought them stupid or not. I've heard a lot of stupid stuff from educated professionals and small business owners. What you say is only as good as the information you have and some of those people have really bad information.

As for tolerance -- thinking someone is stupid based on their making ridiculous comments based on partly or totally incorrect information isn't intolerance. It's a statement of fact. You seem to think that the only reason that anyone on the left would call someone stupid is because they disagree with him. Not so. We think many people on the right are stupid because of the ill informed or totally incorrect comments they make based on the misinformation they accepted from those whose best interest is to feed them lies. Like I said before, there's a lack of fact checking, common sense and working $hit-detectors on a lot of the right. That's why we say they are stupid and that isn't a lack of tolerance. (Yet another twist and redefinition on the part of the right to make them the victims of the left.)

Last edited by Sagran; 09-06-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 04:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We all pay to care for the uninsured

Care for the uninsured amounts to a $43-billion-a-year tax on all of us, according to numbers generated for a new study in the Web edition of the policy journal Health Affairs.

Health Care Voices | We all pay to care for the uninsured (http://healthcarevoices.org/news/articles/we_all_pay_to_care_for_the_uninsured/ - broken link)

Not actually. We for examplwe sdo not all have private insuremance or even pay income tax. Certainly not at the same rate. it is not a equal tax system. 505 pay no income tax and 59% actually get more benefits than they pay in taxes.That leaves 41% to that acyully pay in the ned and the top ten per cent pay the major portion.Many people ahve bo skin in the game at all. Maybe we shpould exempt those that put their lifes in the game by giving miltary service but we don't even then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies