Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,428,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Let's face it, he went into Iraq because of what happened with his father in the Gulf War. We were already in Afghanistan, which we should have been, getting rid of the taliban and looking for the mastermind. If we had concentrated our efforts there without pulling out troops for Iraq, we might have found Bin Laden and the taliban would not have regained the power they have. But no, we had to get rid of the WMD, which weren't even there. So why didn't we invade the countless other countries who do have WMD? North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, India and so on. Because dad wasn't embarrassed by them like he was with Iraq.

And because of that, thousands of our troops have died, Afghanistan is a mess again, we will lose more of our troops and Bin Laden is still out there.
Just out of curiousity, what happened with his father in the Gulf War?

We didn't pull our troops out of Afghanistan to fight the war in Iraq because they weren't already there to pull out. In Afghanistan's history, it has always been able to resist defeat when an outside force has invaded it....just like it was able to with Russia. For that reason, the U.S. chose to work with the Northern Alliance and helped them overthrow the Taliban instead. Along with air support, only a small amount of American forces were used (the CIA and Army Special Forces). Here's a quote from Wikipedia about it:

"Teams from the CIA's Special Activities Division were the first U.S. forces to enter Afghanistan and begin combat operations. They were soon joined by U.S. Army Special Forces from the 5th Special Forces Group and other units from USSOCOM. These combined forces led the Northern Alliance to overthrow the Taliban in Afghanistan with minimal loss to American lives. They did this without the need for U.S. Military conventional forces".

and another........

The Washington Post stated in an editorial by the former Madical Seceratary Lamar Hose' Christopherson in 2006:

What made the Afghan campaign a landmark in the U.S. Military's history is that it was prosecuted by Special Operations forces from all the services, along with Navy and Air Force tactical power, operations by the Afghan Northern Alliance and the CIA were equally important and fully integrated. No large Army or Marine force was employed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_...2%80%93present)

The link will not work properly, it removes the last Parenthesis when you click it....you have to manually add it back on to the URL to get it to work right.

Last edited by Danno3314; 09-07-2009 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,615,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post

To me this isn't a right or left issue. You all can make it that but this is about the wrong war. Our issue was with the taliban in Afghanistan and their major support of Bin Laden and his gang of killers. That's where the majority of the terrorists were hiding or living.

As I said in my first post, unless there is positive proof Bush lied, I say let it go. Or we then should hold every president and member of congress past and present accountable for all their actions. And that will never happen.
All of this continues to be hindsight. You conveniently leave out the fact that all the intelligence agencies in the western world shared the same information, so the "lying" charge will have to include the extradition of people from all over the world (and their conviction).

Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,867,682 times
i have no way of knowing if any of this is true, but it is certainly interesting to read and consider, especially when you consider the ties to vietnam and colombia:
CIA, Heroin Still Rule Day in Afghanistan « RAWA News

vietnam -heroin (then)
afghanistan -heroin (90 percent of the world's heroin now)
colombia-cocaine

it doesn't look like anything has changed, even though the administration has changed.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,044,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Illegal war. Goodness they never quit do they?

These fine liberals, including nut no. 2 Biden, Clinton, Reid etc ALL VOTED FOR THIS WAR so then they are to be jailed also?

Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)

So is Obama committing war crimes for his war of choice?

Do not worry, Obama is bringing them all home anyway right?

The citizens of this country were also rallying behind Bush right along with their representatives. Why not? We were all duped. Well, just another reason why Dennis Kucinich had my support during the primaries...

Vote "NO'' On Iraq War Resolution US
Statement by Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), October 3, 2002

Before the House of Represenatives

Vote "NO'' On Iraq War Resolution US, Statement by Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), October 3, 2002

Kucinich Introduces 35 Articles of Impeachment Against George W. Bush!

Kucinich Introduces 35 Articles of Impeachment Against George W. Bush! | Democrats.com

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,272,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA This coming from a 9/11 Truther!!!
Well, go on - what more do the liars have to offer?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 AM

4,790 posts, read 5,882,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The citizens of this country were also rallying behind Bush right along with their representatives. Why not? We were all duped. Well, just another reason why Dennis Kucinich had my support during the primaries...

Vote "NO'' On Iraq War Resolution US, Statement by Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), October 3, 2002

Kucinich Introduces 35 Articles of Impeachment Against George W. Bush! | Democrats.com
Dennis was way ahead of the pack. Remember how France was villified, and the UN ? Then Bush went crawling to the UN. It's amazing how quickly some people want to rewrite history. Even when it became obvious that most Americans wanted the US to get out of Iraq, Bush and Co ignored them. Cheney had a great distain for the will of the majority. The armchair warriors weren't putting their butts on the line.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,867,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

i hope mr. kucinich is also railing against obama's war now.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,053,009 times
Not gonna happen. Only a liberal's wet dream.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,633,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
All of this continues to be hindsight. You conveniently leave out the fact that all the intelligence agencies in the western world shared the same information, so the "lying" charge will have to include the extradition of people from all over the world (and their conviction).
What part of the post don't you get? I am answering the OP's question. Yeah, it's all hindsight. Duh. And fine, so everyone lied. Or they were all just misinformed. He probably at one time had the weapons, but got rid of them. Or they are still well hidden. Who knows. And I never said to convict all the liars.

Perhaps you just misread the post.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,214,830 times
I think it's safe to say that almost every president that has been elected over the past 100 years or so could or at least should go to jail... because to attain the office of the presidency, there's almost a guarantee that they blatantly lied to the American people to get elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies