Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM

200 posts, read 131,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
White people have been apathetic for over 40 years. Apathy is the glove in which evil slips its hand. If inflammatory and discriminatory muses such as this article continue to pop up, I believe it is entirely possible to see a racial backlash from white folks as never before seen in this country. I firmly believe this.

Lets hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Wow. 17th Street, head on over for dinner. I'm not sure I could handle the discussion with the rest. While I would never teach my children to be ashamed of who they are, I would surely not teach my children to be proud of a thing as insignificant as race. I believe we have (or at least should have) moved past this by now.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Wow. 17th Street, head on over for dinner. I'm not sure I could handle the discussion with the rest. While I would never teach my children to be ashamed of who they are, I would surely not teach my children to be proud of a thing as insignificant as race. I believe we have (or at least should have) moved past this by now.
How in the world is race insignificant? I think its correct to be proud of where you come from and what your race has done and achieved.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistLibertarian View Post
How in the world is race insignificant? I think its correct to be proud of where you come from and what your race has done and achieved.
What did you do to achieve your race?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 PM

What? I was born white so I guess thats what I did to achieve my race. Weird question. Now if you meant what have I dont to help my race for one I married a white woman and have had 2 white children who are also proud of who they are and where they come from.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
What? I was born white so I guess thats what I did to achieve my race. Weird question. Now if you meant what have I dont to help my race for one I married a white woman and have had 2 white children who are also proud of who they are and where they come from.
My only point is that I am much more proud of things that I have done in my life that I had control over. My race, I did not. I happened to have been born white, but it is not really something that I had control over, and so do not really look at it as any sort of accomplishment. I would rather take pride in actions and thoughts, since they are much more of who I am.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
My only point is that I am much more proud of things that I have done in my life that I had control over. My race, I did not. I happened to have been born white, but it is not really something that I had control over, and so do not really look at it as any sort of accomplishment. I would rather take pride in actions and thoughts, since they are much more of who I am.

Well that is your choice. I am proud I was born white I thank God everyday that I was born white. I take pride in actions and thoughts as well. But I am prouder of who I am and where I come from and what my ancestors created and helped create.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Well that is your choice. I am proud I was born white I thank God everyday that I was born white. I take pride in actions and thoughts as well. But I am prouder of who I am and where I come from and what my ancestors created and helped create.
I don't mean any offense, but I could sit here all day long and be prouder than damn of old Stonewall Jackson for being white, but that wouldn't do much for me. I would rather make my sons proud of who I am by treating others equally and fairly, never judging others for things that they cannot control, and working hard to earn an honest living. That is something they can carry on to their graves that may make a difference in this world.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times
I got to page 5 and was very interested in the findings when this:

"After the two-week history class, the children were surveyed on their racial attitudes. White children who got the full story about historical discrimination had significantly better attitudes toward blacks than those who got the neutered version. Explicitness works. "It also made them feel some guilt," Bigler adds.

"It knocked down their glorified view of white people." They couldn't justify in-group superiority."

These are CHILDREN of which they were writing and they used no examples to demonstrate that these children had a "glorified" view of white people or a sense of superiority. Completely unwarranted and no place for "THAT" view in a scientific study.

Edited - I meant to point out that every study in the article the children both black and white reacted the same with slight variance. This piece seemed out of left field and didn't really belong in the article. Again, why would they say the white children had a glorified sense of self when they reacted the same as the black children?

Last edited by 1984vt; 09-08-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I got to page 5 and was very interested in the findings when this:

"After the two-week history class, the children were surveyed on their racial attitudes. White children who got the full story about historical discrimination had significantly better attitudes toward blacks than those who got the neutered version. Explicitness works. "It also made them feel some guilt," Bigler adds.

"It knocked down their glorified view of white people." They couldn't justify in-group superiority."

These are CHILDREN of which they were writing and they used no examples to demonstrate that these children had a "glorified" view of white people or a sense of superiority. Completely unwarranted and no place for "THAT" view in a scientific study.
Liberals always butcher science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies